Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Solex Carbs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CptTripps
So this junker/roller I just bought has a 1.7 with dual Solex carbs. I've got webbers on mine, but whice are better? Are the Solex worth anything? Better than the webbers?
CptTripps
I can't even find info on these things...

Anyone have ANY info on them? Google is coming up short, unless I'm mis-spelling something.
Aaron Cox
dual singles or dual duals?

p40's im guessing.....
Brett W
Supposedly the Solexes will flow more air than the other big two. For racing in a rule limited class the Solexes are the ticket, but they have a huge flat spot in idle transition.
Joe Bob
The bug guys eat them up....sell them on Samba or Evilbay.....

CptTripps
I'm getting the car hauled in later today...we'll see what we got then. biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
I forget, but there is a difference bewteen the split shafts and solid shaft Solex carbs. One of them, the splits I think can be bored out to 44's. Got a couple of 356 guys who have done it and swear by Solex over Webbers. Since they are a factory carb, they are/were better than the webbers of the day for sure. If they are in decent shape and split shafts, i would keep them, but I have seen many pairs go for $300-400 in decent shape, but needing a tune up kit and cleaning.
Joe Bob
The REASON Porsche switched to Webers was the annoying flat spot in mid range on Solexes and Zeniths....

P11 Solexes are two Barrells and I had a perfect set...took awhile to sell them. The 356 weenies expect everytting to be date stamped and "correct" to the Model Year with the "proper" air cleaner and intakes....so don't expect a quick sale from them.... unless you get a hot rodder.
CptTripps
Shit, I paid $306 for the thing. If the front bumper is good, it'll be worth it to me. Anything else is gravy. He said it came with a set of manuals 'for like the shop or something'. It'll be here this afternoon...should be interesting... biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
Post some pictures when you get it Doug, sounds like a great score! boldblue.gif
lapuwali
They may be single barrel Solexes (two of 'em), with a Euro manifold, which they used on the Euro 1.8s. If so, they're not bad street carbs. They have chokes, are easier to sync, and are probably more than adequate for a 1.7.

If they're Solex PIIs (look like IDFs) then, as MikeZ says, the 356 crowd will like them, as will the 912 crowd. The 356/912 types happily pay $800 to have a set fully rebuilt, which I think is insane. The early models had a solid throttle shaft for both throats, and no other way to balance airflow through the throats. Later models got a split throttle shaft with a big adjuster block between the throats. They're no real improvement over your IDFs, and parts and rebuild kits are harder to source for them.

CptTripps
I guess the guy he bought it from was planning on racing it, so who knows WHAT I'm going to end up with! He DID put 916 bumpers on the front and back...Hmmmmm blink.gif

I've got a GREAT story for how I'm getting it up here...I'm going to start a new thread on it in an hour or so when it gets here... biggrin.gif
CptTripps
Here it is...along with the rest of the car.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=ST&f=2&t=28372

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.