Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stanford DPS is back on my case again
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nebreitling
so apparently, i've sufficiently pissed off the stanford DPS to the point that they are done with 'warnings'.

some time ago, they issued me a couple warnings for having my car up on ramps and "non-operational". they claimed this constituted and 'abandoned vehicle', and claimed the right to tow.

well, i took the car off ramps and moved it over a spot. problem solved.... until now.

put the car up to install the engine. engine installed, transaxle installed, axles are on the cv joints, everthing good to go except the exhaust (long story).

was gone ONE HOUR this afternoon, and i come back to find a red tow notice on my car! they have to go through a bunch of hassle to tow it apparently, so my 'tow date' is april 14th, but they can do it sooner if they wish. bs.gif

guess they don't want me working on my car here, huh?!

hey, stanford: finger.gif
mightyohm
Does it run? Drive it over to my place. It's only a couple of miles. Fuck Stanford.

You live on campus I guess? I am not surprised they don't want you working on cars. Gotta keep the campus image up otherwise Mr. and Mrs. Goodfornothing might stop making their donations... What a PITA.
Joe Bob
Yupz...best to make old rusty to disapear for awhile....
TJB/914
I have a solution.

Put a sign in the window "Liberal Owner" and put a "Kerry/Edwards" Bumper sticker on the bumper. That should help.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Stanford Sucks.

Tom
Aaron Cox
hmmm no ramps....

can you get away with jackstands covered in kerry edwars stickers? lol2.gif
nebreitling
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Mar 30 2005, 05:34 PM)
Does it run? Drive it over to my place. It's only a couple of miles. Fuck Stanford.

You live on campus I guess? I am not surprised they don't want you working on cars. Gotta keep the campus image up otherwise Mr. and Mrs. Goodfornothing might stop making their donations... What a PITA.

yes. fuck stanford, indeed.

no, it doesn't run, as i need to hassle with the exhaust a bit more (any one have some euro race header stub pipes laying around?) and install the carbs. fresh engine. BUT, i can tow it myself with my tow bar.

you have space on your driveway or something jeff where people won't be pissed? it only needs a few days away before i can gather the stub pipes and have everything i need to fire it.
nebreitling
or maybe i should drive it around w/out its exhaust... and see how quick they evict me... cool.gif
nebreitling
not lovin' it
Joe Ricard
Hey I'm up for issuing an ass whooping. You point the guy out and he/she is toast. Hey wait a minute He/she could be one person huh? Umm never mind heard they lock people up out there for kickin ass even if it was deserved. ar15.gif
Joe Bob
Look up the definition of abandoned vehicle in their rule/code book and if the circumstances don't meet the definition go in an talk to Dumbshitz boss and ask him...politely.... to explain why this guy is screwing with you.
Joe Bob
OK...two sections are quoted....

22523. (a) No person shall abandon a vehicle upon any highway.

(cool.gif No person shall abandon a vehicle upon public or private property without the express or implied consent of the owner or person in lawful possession or control of the property.

© Any person convicted of a violation of this section shall be punished by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars ($100) and shall provide proof that the costs of removal and disposition of the vehicle have been paid. No part of any fine imposed shall be suspended. The fine may be paid in installments if the court determines that the defendant is unable to pay the entire amount in one payment.

(d) Proof that the costs of removal and disposition of the vehicle have been paid shall not be required if proof is provided to the court that the vehicle was stolen prior to abandonment. That proof may consist of a police report or other evidence acceptable to the court.

(e) The costs required to be paid for the removal and disposition of any vehicle determined to be abandoned pursuant to Section 22669 shall not exceed those for towing and seven days of storage. This subdivision does not apply if the registered owner or legal owner has completed and returned to the lienholder a "Declaration of Opposition" form within the time specified in Section 22851.8.

(f) (1) If a vehicle is abandoned in violation of subdivision (cool.gif and is not redeemed after impound, the last registered owner is guilty of an infraction. In addition to any other penalty, the registered owner shall be liable for any deficiency remaining after disposal of the vehicle under Section 3071 or 3072 of the Civil Code or Section 22851.10 of this code.

(2) The filing of a report of sale or transfer of the vehicle pursuant to Section 5602, the filing of a vehicle theft report with a law enforcement agency, or the filing of a form or notice with the department pursuant to subdivision (cool.gif of Section 4456 or Section 5900 or 5901 relieves the registered owner of liability under this subdivision.

Joe Bob
Removal of Abandoned Vehicles

22669. (a) Any peace officer, as that term is defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2 of the Penal Code, or any other employee of the state, county, or city designated by an agency or department of the state or the board of supervisors or city council to perform this function, in the territorial limits in which the officer or employee is authorized to act, who has reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle has been abandoned, as determined pursuant to Section 22523, may remove the vehicle from a highway or from public or private property.

(cool.gif Any person performing a franchise or contract awarded pursuant to subdivision (a) of Section 22710, may remove a vehicle from a highway or place to which it has been removed pursuant to subdivision © of Section 22654 or from public or private property, after a determination by a peace officer, as that term is defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2 of the Penal Code, or other designated employee of the state, county, or city in which the vehicle is located that the vehicle is abandoned, as determined pursuant to Section 22523.

© A state, county, or city employee, other than a peace officer or employee of a sheriff's department or a city police department, designated to remove vehicles pursuant to this section may do so only after he or she has mailed or personally delivered a written report identifying the vehicle and its location to the office of the Department of the California Highway Patrol located nearest to the vehicle.

(d) Motor vehicles which are parked, resting, or otherwise immobilized on any highway or public right-of-way and which lack an engine, transmission, wheels, tires, doors, windshield, or any other part or equipment necessary to operate safely on the highways of this state, are hereby declared a hazard to public health, safety, and welfare and may be removed immediately upon discovery by a peace officer or other designated employee of the state, county, or city.

rick 918-S
QUOTE ("Z" @ Mar 30 2005, 06:54 PM)
OK...two sections are quoted....

22523.   (a) No person shall abandon a vehicle upon any highway.

(cool.gif No person shall abandon a vehicle upon public or private property without the express or implied consent of the owner or person in lawful possession or control of the property.

© Any person convicted of a violation of this section shall be punished by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars ($100) and shall provide proof that the costs of removal and disposition of the vehicle have been paid. No part of any fine imposed shall be suspended. The fine may be paid in installments if the court determines that the defendant is unable to pay the entire amount in one payment.

(d) Proof that the costs of removal and disposition of the vehicle have been paid shall not be required if proof is provided to the court that the vehicle was stolen prior to abandonment. That proof may consist of a police report or other evidence acceptable to the court.

(e) The costs required to be paid for the removal and disposition of any vehicle determined to be abandoned pursuant to Section 22669 shall not exceed those for towing and seven days of storage. This subdivision does not apply if the registered owner or legal owner has completed and returned to the lienholder a "Declaration of Opposition" form within the time specified in Section 22851.8.

(f) (1) If a vehicle is abandoned in violation of subdivision (cool.gif and is not redeemed after impound, the last registered owner is guilty of an infraction. In addition to any other penalty, the registered owner shall be liable for any deficiency remaining after disposal of the vehicle under Section 3071 or 3072 of the Civil Code or Section 22851.10 of this code.

(2) The filing of a report of sale or transfer of the vehicle pursuant to Section 5602, the filing of a vehicle theft report with a law enforcement agency, or the filing of a form or notice with the department pursuant to subdivision (cool.gif of Section 4456 or Section 5900 or 5901 relieves the registered owner of liability under this subdivision.

Ya, This is Stanford! Get one of the hot shot law students to help you file a harrasment suit against officer Snowden. That will learn him! alfred.gif Or snow on the roof, or snow up the nose or what ever his name is.

The student could use the experience for a class credit!
Trekkor
Can you cover it?

Or...how about this?
Get one of those little Toyota mini motor homes, gut it, and slip it over the top so they don't see it anymore. lol2.gif

KT
rick 918-S
Considering this is a classic Porsche, This could be a way to legally wrangle ownership of your vehicle. I'd call the supervisor and tell him you will hold the dept. leagally liable if his officer doesn't cease and desist. Then file a harrasment suit and request a restraining order stating officer nose candy can't come within 2 blocks of your parking space. That will fix you officer nose picker!

The law should work the same for you as it does against you. Take that Mr. officer den mother
Type 4
The best thing would be a car cover. Abandoned cars dont have covers.
sgomes
OH! OH! OH! I know! I know!!!!

Put some big-ass truck tires on it so that it's so fucking high you can work on it without jackstands!!!! beer.gif flag.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (Type 4 @ Mar 30 2005, 07:26 PM)
The best thing would be a car cover. Abandoned cars dont have covers.

agree.gif That is how I store parts cars in my driveway until I am ready to part it. biggrin.gif No problems and I had the same car in my driveway for 5 months covered like that. Everyone thought it was my "good" 914 rolleyes.gif
nebreitling
yup, i've researched all the codes. basically, there is no legal definition for what constitutes an "abandoned vehicle". Officer Snowden keeps stating that the vehicle is non-operational -- implying that that is the issue -- which would essentially make illegal all mechanical maintenence.

but basically, if they want to fuck with you, they can fuck with you. i even had a lawyer look at it, and he says they can pretty much do whatever the fuck they want.

still, i'm going in tomorrow to have a (hopefully calm) chat with Snowden's supervisor.

givemebeer.gif
Aaron Cox
we need to have a 914 club phone call.... 1000 people calling officer snowden

lets fuck him right back! unsure.gif
nebreitling
oh -- the car has been covered this whole time! in fact, that pisses them off even more, cause it effectively hides the parking permit sticker! the car looks good when the cover's off (it's clean), has an engine, has a transmission, axles hooked up, all wheels on.

add carbs and exhaust and drive away.
nebreitling
My letter to Snowden and his superior.... i've got some due process, according to the Santa Clara County code....

-----

Officer Snowden,

I’m disappointed with this action, and truly regret if you feel I have “forced your hand” into this. In fact, I have been working on this matter virtually non-stop since I returned home from the spring break, and am extremely close to finishing (missing one part that has to be shipped from across the country). Events occurred that unfortunately postponed the vehicle’s mechanical restoration, thus the delay. Just for sake of clarification, this car is only “abandoned” according to interpretation of local codes (not even the CVC provides a definition for “abandoned” in the context of private property); I have most assuredly NOT “abandoned” the vehicle according to any reasonable and usual definition of the word.

Per the Santa Clara County Code, Sec. B12-180, I will assume that you are the acting Zoning Investigator, and that this letter (and the two taped to the car when I was away for an hour) gives me 10 days to correct the violation before being sent abatement notice. 10 days should not be necessary, but please do notify me if this is, in fact, not the case.

looking forward to resolving this,

Nathan Breitling

redshift
PS: We are out of milk. F. U.

M
rick 918-S
Snowblower, Snowman, Snowsnorter, Snowjob, Snowboy, (John Candy in Uncle Buck Melanoma head happy11.gif )
grantsfo
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Mar 30 2005, 06:25 PM)
not lovin' it

Man I wish we could get that kind of service on the coast north of Santa Cruz where abandoned vehicles sit for months before anyone tows the damn things away. Brings back memories when Sheilah and I lived in Palo Alto back in the late 1980's, people there are very much into keeping up apperences. I had a 914 back then too that I pulled the engine on and had neighbors complaining and got a formal warning fortunately it was just a clutch job.

Now I have two acres and lots of room and no neighbors close enough to complain. I still need a damn garage though.
Rgreen914
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Mar 30 2005, 09:16 PM)
"Man I wish we could get that kind of service on the coast north of Santa Cruz where abandoned vehicles sit for months before anyone tows the damn things away."

Grant

Have you advised the CHP about these vehicles? Nevermind trying the local cops, call the CHP. They're supposed to come out and mark the tires on this sort of car; if it's still there 72 hours later...they are supposed to have it towed away. Call their office and report the problem, getting the name of the officer you speak to. If no one responds within a couple fo days, call back, ask to speak to the watch commander and repeat the process, giving the name of the first officer; remember, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease!"

Ron
scotty914
hey when you find out what this guy looks like, we can have a little fun with him too. over a weeks time we get 5 people to call a day saying that he was speeding and driving recklessly or tailgating. if he is in a marked car with flashing lights doing things like turning the lights on to run red lights then turning the lights off once past the red light. then we get meridith or mrs k ( or any other 914 chicks ) to call and say he pulled them over and said if they would go on a date with him he would let them off with out a ticket, but they then saw he was not a real cop and they drove off. they just say they dont want to press charges because it was bad enough that it happened they just dont want it to happen again.

i figure we could get him fired with in a month as long as we made him look real bad guy abusing his power, enough times in a few week should work.

or if this does not get resovled with your letter, go in to his boss and say he came by and said if you gave him a couple of hundred dollars he would make it go away, but they might try to sting him and have you hand over the money, but you could stop that by saying you wont do it due to possible future repercusions

sorry for a lond post but i have been part of getting a cop fired before
redshift
Oh man! Imagine if we were all locked up in the same jail, for conspiracy!

WOW! That would ROCK!

laugh.gif

I call Aaron!

:superlol:

M
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (redshift @ Mar 30 2005, 10:39 PM)
Oh man! Imagine if we were all locked up in the same jail, for conspiracy!

WOW! That would ROCK!

laugh.gif

I call Aaron!

:superlol:

M

you are such a punk! flipa.gif im not your sheep!
:superfinger: lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif
redshift
That's GOAT, woman...

Don't make Art Tatum cry... you wouldn't likes it.

M
grantsfo
QUOTE (Rgreen914 @ Mar 30 2005, 09:33 PM)
"Man I wish we could get that kind of service on the coast north of Santa Cruz where abandoned vehicles sit for months before anyone tows the damn things away."

Grant

Have you advised the CHP about these vehicles? Nevermind trying the local cops, call the CHP. They're supposed to come out and mark the tires on this sort of car; if it's still there 72 hours later...they are supposed to have it towed away. Call their office and report the problem, getting the name of the officer you speak to. If no one responds within a couple fo days, call back, ask to speak to the watch commander and repeat the process, giving the name of the first officer; remember, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease!"

Ron

I think the problem is that the cars get abandoned on private property along the roadway. The process now takes about 4 weeks if I'm all over the people who are responsible. First an officer tags the car, then a certified inspector comes out and gives blessing, then they have another 2 weeks before they tow it. These arent people working on cars these are cars that have been dumped and then vandalized etc.
grantsfo
QUOTE (Rgreen914 @ Mar 30 2005, 09:33 PM)

Grant

Ron

I think the problem is that the cars get abandoned on private property along the roadway. The process now takes about 4 weeks if I'm all over the people who are responsible. First an officer tags the car, then a certified inspector comes out and gives blessing, then they have another 2 weeks before they tow it. These arent people working on cars these are cars that have been dumped and then vandalized etc.
swood
Everyone in my house is breaking glass tonight. Jr. dropped 2 pyrex custard cups with butter on the kitchen floor. That was fun cleaning up. Cut twice, bled like a stuck pig. Wife of mine broke pyrex (unbreakable???) measuring cup in the garbage disposal. Guess who got to fish out fricken glass chunks in garlicky disgusting pieces of spagetti and onion and who knows what else. Not jr. Yours truly. I still smell like stinky garbage disposal. icon8.gif Taking the trash out (jr.s jobby job, but he's in bed), realize that wifey got a ticket on her car in OUR driveway. Says it was blocking the sidewalk. SHOOT! Trip #2 to trash cans, realize that the other car (that she parked) also has a ticket. For the same stinkin thing.

I have no words to express how pissed off coming home from a wonderful day at the grindstone makes me. I think I'll go back there bright and early tomorrow. headbang.gif
swood
QUOTE (swood @ Mar 30 2005, 10:15 PM)
Everyone in my house is breaking glass tonight. Jr. dropped 2 pyrex custard cups with butter on the kitchen floor. That was fun cleaning up. Cut twice, bled like a stuck pig. Wife of mine broke pyrex (unbreakable???) measuring cup in the garbage disposal. Guess who got to fish out fricken glass chunks in garlicky disgusting pieces of spagetti and onion and who knows what else. Not jr. Yours truly. I still smell like stinky garbage disposal. icon8.gif Taking the trash out (jr.s jobby job, but he's in bed), realize that wifey got a ticket on her car in OUR driveway. Says it was blocking the sidewalk. SHOOT! Trip #2 to trash cans, realize that the other car (that she parked) also has a ticket. For the same stinkin thing.

I have no words to express how pissed off coming home from a wonderful day at the grindstone makes me. I think I'll go back there bright and early tomorrow. headbang.gif

Just wanted to quote myself.

wacko.gif
swood
Sorry to hijack.

Don't hate. Comiserate! biggrin.gif
fiid
File a sexual harrassment complaint. Say he's just picking on your car because you refused to spend a wild evening in the Castro with him.

lol2.gif

I think the site is http://harass.stanford.edu I got forwarded some email (on a mailing list) that says you can get entered to win an iPod mini just by doing the online harassment training.

bs.gif It's all BS.

aircooledboy
(d) Motor vehicles which are parked, resting, or otherwise immobilized on any highway or public right-of-way and which lack an engine, transmission, wheels, tires, doors, windshield, or any other part or equipment necessary to operate safely on the highways of this state, are hereby declared a hazard to public health, safety, and welfare and may be removed immediately upon discovery by a peace officer or other designated employee of the state, county, or city.

Nathan,
I don't have a real clear picture of your parking spot, but I think this section hoses you. If your car is parked in a parking lot that is in anyway maintained with public funding (and judging by the fact Officer Fife is patrolling there it probably is), it is a right-of-way, and under this section if you've got no exhaust, you're missing "equipment necessary to operate safely". If you piss Officer Squarenuts off, he could accelerate the process and try to tow you immediately. unsure.gif
nebreitling
your opinion has some extra weight, chris, so thank you.

in fact, though, it's not on public property, but rather private stanford-owned property. so this looses the legal definition of abandoned, but also gives the landowner some extra weight to do make the rules themselves. still, i believe that stanford DPS is beholden to Santa Clara County codes, as it is by a Memorandum of Understanding between the university and the Sheriff of Santa Clara County that the DPS has their legal authority.

i actually believe that i'm probably legally in the wrong (i'll still fight it to the end!), but morally in the right. oh well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.