Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heat exchanger/heater duct sequence question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jack20
Something I thought would be a no-brainier has turned into frustration. I'm reinstalling the tins, heat exchangers and ducting and ran into a fit problem. Doesn't seem that others have had the problem because my research came up empty.

What is the sequence of installation? Heat exchanger first or the duct piece first?
Thanks, Jack
This piece:
Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
Jack, heat exchangers first, then the piece in your pic, then the j tube, then branch tube, then heater valve. It can be tricky, but it will go. Don't forget the small flaps that hang from the fan shroud openings.

Btw, your
shims were taken to the post office this afternoon.
jack20
Thanks very much Curt!
SA-914
What do the flaps do? Mine are missing.

Also, my square duct covers don't fit very well?
Dave_Darling
The flaps will keep the aux blower fan from pushing air from the exchanger back into the fan shroud.

The square covers, if I understand what you mean, are unique from side to side. Try swapping them and see if they fit better.

--DD
barefoot
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 22 2016, 11:36 PM) *

The flaps will keep the aux blower fan from pushing air from the exchanger back into the fan shroud.

--DD

If you're not using the aux heater blower, then these little flappers are not needed.
Well, that's my plan anyway.
rgalla9146
Before installing, do a trial fit of all the parts on the bench.
Especially the tubes and valves.
Make certain the tubes can properly enter the valves.
Gunn1
Is the aux blower feature really needed?
BeatNavy
No, not really. It's real purpose is to force air through the HE's when the engine speed isn't high enough to do so (e.g., while idling). If you don't put the aux blower on then it's been recommended you cap the J-tubes on each left/right engine shelf to prevent hot air making it's way up into the engine bay. That's they way I'm running right now.
rhodyguy
Plus, lack of the 2 doors on the shroud and uncapped j tubes makes for poor heating. REALLY poor. The heat system delivers when the design components are serviceable and in place.
SA-914
Would you get better engine cooling by blocking the fan shroud flaps, and just relying on the aux blower for all the air, and using the motor fan just for motor cooling?
Amphicar770
Take lots of pics and notes. I am a few steps behind you. :-)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.