Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air cleaner choice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TheCabinetmaker
Just saved my friend Dave's car from Weber hell by removeing the single two barrel and converting back to fuel injection. I know for ease of cleaning and changing, the paper filter is the obvious choice, but Dave travels 6 miles of very dusty gravel road everyday. Would the oil cleaner be the better deal? Or should I try to find a late model cleaner? Also, what is the fill level of the oil cleaner.

Thanks.
michelko
Don´t know witch one is better, but is the paper thing available in the US?
Didn´t find a suplier here in germany mad.gif

smilie_flagge6.gif
Joe Ricard
Oil, Once I figured out how much oil to put in the thing is quit puking all over the place when cornering.
Either way there is lots of maintenance required if subjecting the car to dusty roads. Gotta keep both clean. Paper can expensive and oil is messy, K&N will filter most dirt but..... some say it will pass fine stuff. confused24.gif
I have K&N filters on my 44 IDF's and do my best to keep them clean. Still a PITA
TheCabinetmaker
Well Joe, his road is "very" dusty. So how much oil do ya put in the thing. I haven't messed with one since the early 50's.
JoeSharp
Keep it below the red line. As Joe said, hard corrnering can dump oil (on the #2 injector). The Red Line is a ring around the lip in the bottom of the cleaner. I had to clean it to see it.
biggrin.gif Joe
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Mar 31 2005, 07:25 AM)
Oil, Once I figured out how much oil to put in the thing is quit puking all over the place when cornering.
Either way there is lots of maintenance required if subjecting the car to dusty roads. Gotta keep both clean. Paper can expensive and oil is messy, K&N will filter most dirt but..... some say it will pass fine stuff. confused24.gif
I have K&N filters on my 44 IDF's and do my best to keep them clean. Still a PITA

"K&N will filter the most dirt"? Larger pores, FAR less filter area. How's that gonna filter more dirt? Passes the most air, until it begins to get filled, which is FAR sooner than the paper. They need more frequent cleaning, too. Oil bath is preferred, and you fill it to the lip of the reservoir at the bottom. They need frequent cleaning if you travel on a lot of dusty roads. The Cap''n, pushing common sense over advertising! (Hey, isn't that somehow unamerican?)
SirAndy
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 31 2005, 08:10 AM)
pushing common sense over advertising!

agree.gif

oil-bath works great! needs cleaning every once in a while, but oil is cheap ...
cool.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.