Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removal of 914-6 Heat Exchangers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Daiberl
In the process of removing the HEs from the 2.2 engine, was able to open the Allen fine but there are three bolts (2 passenger side and 1 driver side) at the front cylinders, how to get them off, seems to be impossible to get a ratchet in and my wrenches see to also not fit very well. Afraid I might damage one of the nuts.
toolguy
I used 12mm nuts on those. .
I have a couple of wrenches I bent, and a 1/4 drive 12 mm socket will do the trick. .
It's a pain in the butt and small hands and long fingers help. . Besides the dash nuts, it's one of the harder places to get to. .
The 1/4 inch angle drive thin wall socket is great for getting them snug. . then a bent wrench to tighten fully but it's a 1/6 turn at a time job. .
Daiberl
toolguy, thanks, also just figured I posted in the wrong forum, maybe an admin can move it to the garage.
puffinator
You need these two tools to make the job easy. The socket is a 1/4 in drive 13mm flex socket.

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
On 4s I use a 1/4" drive and the thinnest wall socket I have. Did you spray the nuts down with penetrating fluid? More than once?
Daiberl
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 24 2016, 01:29 PM) *

On 4s I use a 1/4" drive and the thinnest wall socket I have. Did you spray the nuts down with penetrating fluid? More than once?

Sprayed them more than once, the problem is that they are really hard to reach. Will check to get a flex socket and then we will see.
flyer86d
Also, heat them up until they are cherry red and then proceed carefully. If they don't move or stop moving, let them cool and then heat them again. Repeat as necessary.

Charlie
Daiberl
Done! Got them off, bought the two tools in the picture at Harbor Freight and after soaking them on WD40 for a few hours they got off really smooth.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
Looks like those boxes were on a an engine with mechanical fuel injection.
rhodyguy
Good eye. How could you tell?
bradtho
Since you posted this in the classifieds, I'll repeat my offer to buy them from you for $100. poke.gif
mountainroads
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 25 2016, 06:25 AM) *

The take-off (at the front) for the MFI pump temp sensor feed. What's interesting to me is these must've been modified at some point to accommodate MFI, since all stock 914-6's came with carbs.

- MR
Daiberl
QUOTE(mountainroads @ Apr 25 2016, 07:36 AM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 25 2016, 06:25 AM) *

The take-off (at the front) for the MFI pump temp sensor feed. What's interesting to me is these must've been modified at some point to accommodate MFI, since all stock 914-6's came with carbs.

- MR

Correct, car came with MFI, but will go back to carbs.
Daiberl
QUOTE(bradtho @ Apr 25 2016, 07:02 AM) *

Since you posted this in the classifieds, I'll repeat my offer to buy them from you for $100. poke.gif

Let me think about your offer for a sec ...... No, thanks, will keep them smile.gif
sixnotfour
$914
Kaeferfreund
QUOTE(Daiberl @ Apr 24 2016, 11:24 PM) *

Sprayed them more than once, the problem is that they are really hard to reach. Will check to get a flex socket and then we will see.

Hi!
You got them off now, but before you sprayed them with WD 40? Hmmm...the best I know is that one:

Caramba Rasant Rostlöser/swift shock rust remover:
http://www.caramba.eu/en/products/swift-shock-rust-remover/

Nothing which was not to remove with that fantastic spray

Darauf ein König beerchug.gif smilie_flagge6.gif
Daiberl
QUOTE(Kaeferfreund @ Apr 26 2016, 01:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Daiberl @ Apr 24 2016, 11:24 PM) *

Hi!
You got them off now, but before you sprayed them with WD 40? Hmmm...the best I know is that one:

Caramba Rasant Rostlöser/swift shock rust remover:
http://www.caramba.eu/en/products/swift-shock-rust-remover/

Nothing which was not to remove with that fantastic spray

Darauf ein König beerchug.gif smilie_flagge6.gif

Caramba habe ich in Deutschland auch immer benuetzt, gibt es hier aber glaube ich nicht und mit WD40 habe ich ganz gute Erfahrungen gemacht.

Darauf ein IPA beer3.gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 25 2016, 09:25 AM) *

the added nipple on the front of the right HE (left in the picture)
warm air supply for MFI cold star thermo
on the 916 the right HE had a large additional envelope to supply the MFI
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.