Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch adjust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Shindog1961
Right after getting my 914 back I started to have to push the clutch as far as possible to get it into 1st and reverse without it grinding. Not as bad in 2-5. I'm thinking it needs a clutch adjustment. I've never done one on any car, can I tackle it myself? I'm pretty handy if I have some instructions, but there are none in either of the 914 manuals I have. Any advise, instructions? Thanks
Shindog1961
Never mind. Literally the faster repair I've ever done. Less than 10 minutes. I hope I never paid to have it done smile.gif
Planedoc
im having the same issue, what was your fix?
r_towle
Clutch cable has an adjustment nut on the end
Look underneath the car, passenger side.
Planedoc
Thanks i know exactly what your talking about
jim_hoyland
While adjusting the nut on the end of the clutch cable, check the cable where it rubs against that wheel at the rear. This is where most clutch cables break. It may be due to abrasion from particles getting into the strands of the cable; a little grease and short quick movements assist in the process

So..now when I adjust the clutch cable, I'll back the nut(s) all the way off and pull the cable back to expose the part the cable rubs against; wipe the wheel and cable clean and reinstall the caable.

Cause one clutch cable failure early using this method.
Planedoc
Jim , so your saying it's ok to apply a little grease to the cable. I was under the impression that clean and dry is better so I doesn't attract dirt
Mikey914

If you have the clutch cable rubber boot , you should lubricate it. If not I wouldn't because it will collect dirt
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Planedoc @ May 16 2016, 03:23 PM) *

Jim , so your saying it's ok to apply a little grease to the cable. I was under the impression that clean and dry is better so I doesn't attract dirt

I meant to say wipe the dirt and grease off the cable; some recommend oiling the cable; main thing is to get it clean and dirt removed
Planedoc
Ok thanks guys very much for the advise
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.