Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flywheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
matchpoint
I have my 73 2.0L Driver motor out of my 914 for a general clean up and clutch & transaxle inspection. Looks like it is time for a new flywheel. The current flywheel bolts have about 1/3 of the material remove from the top of the bolt heads. The current flywheel after checking the dimension is not a candidate for a resurface. I would like to get back to a stock/new and reasonable priced flywheel for my daily driver. Any help from anyone who has been down this road would be helpful.

My 3 choices so far are.
1. Parts Geek - Sebro P/N WO133-1599007 @ $308.00 They are not real proud of showing the product dimensions and don't even say it the flywheel is balances no the material. I searched the net to find the specs and the Sebro website and no luck.

2. AA Performance/KOKO Parts - P/N 008 215FW Porsche 914mm stock new replacement forged flywheel 18lbs. They have no indication this is a balanced flywheel and at $145.00 I would assume they are forged/it is what is with no balance.

3. Auto Atlanta - Remachined & Balanced $199.00 + $100.00 core. My core is shot so my price would be $299.00 + shipping. My concern on this option is I may get a flywheel that has been ground 2 or 3 times and I will be back to grind off the bold heads to keep from contact with the clutch plate hub.

How important is the balance of a flywheel on my daily driver 2.0 914. Not my grinding work on the bolts in the picture. Came to me this way. I just hate grinding bolt heads and then trying to get the torque wrench to now slip off. Any ideas from anyone who has been down this road of making a flywheel choice. Thanks Click to view attachment
rjames
Maybe I should have had it balanced before installing, but I bought a new flywheel from Pelican a couple of years ago and bolted it up. No issues. However, I don't remember what brand it was. Probably just the one marked as OE on their web site.

Since I've never seen anybody able to produce what the acceptable speck should be for a 4 cyl flywheel, I didn't want to take a chance with a resurfaced one.
Mark Henry
The last Pelican new german one I got had no balance drillings what so ever. Took it to my balance guy and it was dead nuts on. shades.gif

But the surface tolerances were about the same as a 1st regrind. idea.gif
cary
Another choice .............
http://www.europeanmotorworks.com/pvw/404-...el/914+Flywheel
r_towle
Number 2, then have it balanced.
It's very important.

Driveshafts.com is a balancing shop in Portland, if that is close.

porschetub

The Haynes 914 manual will give you specs so you will know where you are.
You could post in the WTB section if yours is beyond reuse,plenty of trusted helpful people on there could sell you a good used one.
mepstein
QUOTE(porschetub @ Apr 30 2016, 03:20 AM) *

The Haynes 914 manual will give you specs so you will know where you are.
You could post in the WTB section if yours is beyond reuse,plenty of trusted helpful people on there could sell you a good used one.

agree.gif it would be my first step. Plenty of good used parts floating around this 914 community. I don't have one or else I would offer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.