Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to strip the ignition
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JFG
My 914 is a project that now feels as though i am moving forward. I wanted it done by mud may but that's a bit ambitious as it's a rolling shell waiting for body work and paint. Plus all the replacement bits etc etc etc.

I managed to get the ignition barrel unit removed today in order that i can get a key cut. I've got the whole unit out and now need to get the barrel itself out to see if i can get someone to sort a key.

I can't see how the barrel is removed, can someone advise me how this is done?
rmdinmd
http://www.914world.com/specs/rekey.php

try this link; found in upper right under 914 info biggrin.gif
barefoot
If yours is a later one, the little hole in the switch body may not be there, I had to drill one for my switch extraction.
mepstein
Can't you take in a door lock. They should be all the same key.
r_towle
In theory the keys for the door and ignition should be the same. (It's a 40 year old car with questionable previous owners)
I would bring in both doors and the ignition, and th rear trunk.

The locksmith can rekey the locks to match....which you want.
McMark
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 30 2016, 08:29 AM) *

Can't you take in a door lock. They should be all the same key.

'Should' is a terrible word. lol-2.gif
Rob-O
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 30 2016, 05:20 AM) *

In theory the keys for the door and ignition should be the same. (It's a 40 year old car with questionable previous owners)
I would bring in both doors and the ignition, and th rear trunk.

The locksmith can rekey the locks to match....which you want.

If you're going to all that trouble, may as well take in the glove box door and the lock on the handle for the front trunk. That way you don't become the PITA previous owner who just rekeyed the two door, trunk and ignition locks...

If you do take them off, send them to the guy here that rekeys them. Or do it yourself, it's super easy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.