Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Options for rebuilding a 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CptTripps
I'm going to look at putting a turbo on the 1.7 motor that came in my junker. Before I go fabricating stuff, I'd like to make SURE I have a good motor to start with.

I've never had a motor rebuilt or anything before. Most of my experiences are working with stuff that...well...already works.

Should I just strip the motor down and take it somewhere local to have them look at it? Or should I start fabricating on this one, and then buy someone elses 'done' motor and just add the FI and turbo stuff that I make?

Thoughts?
xsboost90
paint it, thats what makes it fast! If your going to turbo it, may want to rebuild it alittle tougher for longevity.
CptTripps
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ Mar 31 2005, 10:55 PM)
paint it, thats what makes it fast! If your going to turbo it, may want to rebuild it alittle tougher for longevity.

Oh shit....just the motor. That car is trash! I guess I need to edit that post.
airsix
1.7's are cheap. Sometimes even free. Use your current motor as the 'sacrificial turbo developement platform'. If at the end of development you haven't blown it then you can rebuild it or transfer the turbo/EFI to a fresher motor if you want. If you do blow the motor durring developement then it's no big loss. If you rebuild first and then blow it durring development that would be unfortunate and costly.

-Ben M.
CptTripps
I'm not sure that this one runs though...

Maybe I'll work out placement and fabricate the pipes. Then worry about if it runs when I get an FI system for it.

Hmmm....the plot thickens!

Maybe I'll just build it up and swap places with my 2.0...and enjoy the damn thing.

(Noble concept...I know)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.