Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Overheating
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ash00
Silly question -

I have a full machine shop / welding / fab equipment - but before I use all that and add to the time variable, how do you guys hold the trans/motor when its out of the car? Are there any engine cradles or such for these that I can buy? I can't believe this'll be the first time out, but will also need one for my 65 bus.

rhodyguy
Get a furniture dolly at Home Depot or the like. Block it up with dunnage. Easy to move by yourself.
ChrisFoley
Engine Lift Plate

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ash00
HI all,

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it looks like I can take off the tin shroud by the flap area off with the engine still in the car. I can visually inspect of the flaps are closed, open our or even there.

Is there something I'm not seeing?
stugray
QUOTE(ash00 @ May 6 2016, 04:53 PM) *

HI all,

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it looks like I can take off the tin shroud by the flap area off with the engine still in the car. I can visually inspect of the flaps are closed, open our or even there.

Is there something I'm not seeing?

The front half of the fan shroud is very difficult to split when it is completely off the car. you would have to remove all three engine tins (I think) and the alternator.

Then you would have to split the halves leaving one side behind.

era vulgaris
I think he's just talking about the two main tins over the cylinder banks so he can visually verify that the flaps are there. I've heard people say it's doable with the engine in the car.
I don't think you'd have to split the shroud to install the flaps, do you? Maybe I'm wrong?
ash00
Yes, sorry for the confusion..just for the tins and inspection of the flaps. I tried to use a scope through the hole but it still wasn't clear

Another shot in the dark, but if there is no shaft, how would you couple the flaps? The previous owner said they were "permanently" closed. I don't know if you can just put them in there loosely without any connection.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ash00 @ May 6 2016, 04:45 PM) *
I don't know if you can just put them in there loosely without any connection.

You can but it's going to be ugly. I once bought a "rebuild" 2.1L engine that had the flaps glued(!) in there with gobs of god knows what and then they forced a bunch of sheet metal screws through them and into the surrounding shroud/tin for good measure.
barf.gif
stugray
QUOTE(ash00 @ May 6 2016, 05:45 PM) *

Yes, sorry for the confusion..just for the tins and inspection of the flaps. I tried to use a scope through the hole but it still wasn't clear

Another shot in the dark, but if there is no shaft, how would you couple the flaps? The previous owner said they were "permanently" closed. I don't know if you can just put them in there loosely without any connection.

Oh sorry.

Yes you can remove the passenger side engine tin with the engine in.
It's a PITA and you have to manhandle the front tin a little, remove the intake manifold and the distributor. Some of the wire harness goes through that tin as well, but if you just want to look under, you wouldnt have to pull those wires out.

And I found the shaft with the drivers side flap attached, the passenger side flap, and two thermostat brackets, the pulley and maybe a intact piece of cable.
I think the only thing I am missing is the little arm that connects the shaft to the pass. side flap. Still looking.
Porschef
Ash, I'm gonna have to agree.gif with all who've suggested pulling the engine. Looks like now is the time to do it right, drop the eng/tranny, and take a little time to assess everything; I'd be very surprised if you didn't find a couple other things to correct.

How does it shift? If not great, change all the bushings. Get Tangerine's firewall unit, makes a big difference.

Are the push rod tubes leaking at all?

Any exhaust leaks?

CV joint condition?

Speedo cable? More importantly, clutch cable?

Factory nylon fuel lines? Get RID of those, replace with stainless steel.

Very nice offers from Clay and Stu, take them up those, make sure you have everything you need before diving in and you'll have an opportunity to rectify a whole bunch of stuff. The engine drop is not a big deal (so simple I can do it) and you'll learn tons of valuable information about your car. And your not gonna want to drive the car as it is now anyway.

Good luck. smile.gif
ash00
Totally! I had about a half hour yesterday to let things sink in and yes, I do need to pull the engine to give myself a better understanding of things. I want to look at an aftermarket oil cooler as well and check things out for certain. Hopefully this week!

As far as the shifter, it has the JW west one but I would like to explore the linkage. I lve been in a car when the clutch cable snapped so that's another thing I want to inspect.

I'll probably need that engine plate for certain and need to pick up a furniture dolly. Hopefully I'll have no more business trips to get in my way!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.