Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Steering Column Tube and Wiper Assembly
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SixerJ
Continued stripping my -6 at the weekend and took the blower and wiper motor assembly out. Discovered on removal that she had a -4 wiper assembly installed when the car was converted to racer back in the 2000's

Does anyone have pictures of a complete and correct 914-6 wiper and motor assembly and how does it differ from say an early >73 911 set up, different spindle spacing, wiring, motor?

Also does anyone have any pictures of a naked genuine 914-6 steering column tube (914.347.072.00). I've looked through many of the build threads, parts vault and column conversions (Clay's and SirA's below)

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=100179&hl=

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=82045

Picture wise I have only found genuine -6 column tubes assembled up with switches / clam shells or say Clays naked converted tube below

Bolt hole spacing on the flat plate of a genuine 6's tube and later 4 plate looks wider, what about the early 4 column plates, do they match the 6 column?

I knew that I would have to get all the column parts together for my car when I purchased it & sourced a complete 911 column not long after I bought her just in case I have to go down the tube conversion route / if I cannot source a genuine six tube

I didn't realise that I would also have to find the -6 wiper motor assembly as well.....any pictures, answers and guidance / leads on -6 wiper assembly and column tube would be appreciated

Thanks
Jon

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
914Sixer
The wiper rack is a cut down version of the 69-73 911 rack. It has a support bar for the wiper motor. You can take a 911 one and make it into the -6 rack.

The -6 column is the 69-73 911 column with the 914 mounting pad welded on to it. Easy to fabricate with the right parts. -6 column covers do NOT have a u shaped cut in them. They are solid on both sides.
rgalla9146
914 6 steering column mount compared to later ('75 - '76 ? ) mount, 6 column on right.

Second pic compares 6 column mount to early 4 cyl. column. It appears a 6 column will bolt directly into an early 4 cyl. chassis (up to '75 ?)
The bolt spacing is the same.
The '73-'74 column has a suitable plate to weld onto a 911 column to create a "do it yourself "
rgalla9146
914 6 3 speed wiper rack
SixerJ
Thanks guys, that was exactly what I was after

914Sixer described exactly what I thought I should have, black bodied motor with a bracket that is bolted to the main rack

This is what I have removed which looks very similar to Rgalla's. Was there an early and late wiper assembly that mirrored the change in ignition switch location from dash to column?

Click to view attachment

Rgalla's -6 motor has the 4 spade terminals all facing the same way in a circle, my one has three in a circle and one set at 90 degrees to the others. Suspect I do indeed have a -4 motor assembly and need to hunt down a 914-6 set up

Rgalla it possible to get a measurement from the centre of the steering shaft to the mounting surface of the plate where it bolts up against the shells welded in bracket and the overall rectangular dimensions of the plate? I'm sure they would be useful dimensions for any members who might want to recreate a six column for an early car

Thanks
Jon
914Sixer
2 Pictures of a real -6 wiper. 3rd picture is early 911 rack with a 74-up motor on it.
rgalla9146
Well, this is interesting.
I just looked at the wiper mech in my long owned 914 6
It has the support bracket as seen on Marks 6 unit and a bracket welded to the motor to which it attaches.
Yes, the motor is black, stamped steel rear cover (silver) with extra bracket attached.
All original parts.
The one that I've had on the shelf for twenty years (pictured) does not.
I put a note on it way back then, when I removed it from another 6
Could there be two versions ?
I have another car but can't get to look at it too soon.
Mark, is my pictured one from a 4 ?
Do the elec. connections tell ?

914Sixer
Rory,
Yours appears to be from a -4. -6 wiper motors have a pigtail on them like the headlight motors NOT spades.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 4 2016, 08:18 PM) *

Rory,
Yours appears to be from a -4. -6 wiper motors have a pigtail on them like the headlight motors NOT spades.

Doooh !
Thanks Mark
......always thought , yeah I have that "in stock" !
never looked too closely
914Sixer
Added another picture of -6 wiper rack with only 3 mounting holes
toolguy
My Six Wiper assembly and motor
ClayPerrine
Thought that picture looked familiar.... smile.gif

My column conversion won't work in an original six. It is a little too short, and it uses the wider mounting pad.

You can use the mounting pad from an early /4 column, and graft it to a 911 column. I am using early 911 clamshells, and they have to be trimmed to fit the 914 dash. I suspect real 914/6 clamshells would fit better.

Harpo
It appears that the 914-4 plate is flush with the end of the 911 column

Can someone please confirm this

Thanks

David
SixerJ
QUOTE(Harpo @ Dec 4 2016, 05:53 PM) *

It appears that the 914-4 plate is flush with the end of the 911 column

Can someone please confirm this

Thanks

David

Yes it is & I have been a bit lazy about posting an update to the thread as I have recently acquired some -6 columns

I will go and take any pictures you like and dims of the plate / holes

Jon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.