Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Problems With PMB Performance, Anyone Else?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
QUOTE(DBCooper @ May 11 2016, 04:19 PM) *

QUOTE(396 @ May 11 2016, 02:48 PM) *

Again, dead horse.gif dead horse.gif

Friend, what on earth do you have against those poor horses?

Oh, I needed a laugh. I'm happy that most sides have expressed their positions, so why drag it on.
I'v met Eric and as they say , first impressions...a stand up guy.
As for one other person- Mike... he offer a place for me to stay for the night while I drove up from LA to Vancouver to volunteer for the 2010 Olympics. He doesn't know me, but offered his help and hospitality.
For Mike, he's welcome to hang out with me when I'm in Whistler...
Again first impression.
Back to post, thanks for making me laugh....
ConeDodger
I have never understood how Eric can be so funny looking and yet he has such a beautiful wife and children. poke.gif

Hi Erc! biggrin.gif

Sounds handled to me... dry.gif
mepstein
Yea, let's get rid of Eric. Then we'll get ...?... to do our brakes.
On second thought, Nevermind.
Carry on.
Java2570
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 11 2016, 05:15 PM) *

Friends,

Chuck's a very gracious and good (repeat) customer.

His calipers are, at best, odd-ball VW Scirocco rear calipers. We tend to specialize in odd-ball calipers (914 rears, Alfa GTV, Ferrari 308, RSR, 908 etc.) so, that's not the real issue. These calipers were seized internally. They required special attention which, around here means... "me".

The calipers came in as I was dealing with the end of life with my father. As he passed, it took my attention away from the business and on to handling his estate. At the same time, I was dealing with 18-20-somethings that I had hired to handle shipping, receiving and tear-down. One had to find employment elsewhere as he was watching cartoons in the media blasting room... rolleyes.gif

Now we're in the thick of our spring rush (I need to train ya'll to send these in Q4). We are "always" busy this time of the year. Everybody wants to get in their cool old Porsche and drive. We have to maintain our presence at the LA Lit Show and the Anaheim show. We have tried every year to maintain our presence at Hershey but... I'm only one guy. Those events take me away from the everyday workings and goings on here at the shop. Bottom line: This year has simply been "OFF THE HOOK"!!! ohmy.gif

Our problem now is very simple:

1) It's growing pains as I try to run a lean business and keep costs down and then use today's money to pay for tomorrow's 50% plus growth.

2) An OCD owner that is kind of a perfectionist which can lead to procrastination when everything isn't going as planned (E.G. Chuck's frozen Scirocco calipers). I want to be able to answer every question with a reasonable and well educated answer. I want to make every experience a positive one. SOMETIMES THAT'S NOT POSSIBLE "ERIC" (he says to himself as he types in the third person).

3) Cores. We are behind because cores have not come back. We've lost over 200 calipers in the last 365 days to Pelican customers alone who have not sent cores back in. This means we can "basically" only build customer calipers. It take much more time and makes it more labor intensive as we have to manually track each piece and make sure "Joe Smith's" calipers get back to "Joe Smith". Late 914 rear calipers, as an example, are non-existent.

4) Time. I thank you all as you've helped to grow my business. I'm only one, normal, pant legs one at a time guy. I'm getting 100+ e-mails per day. I'm now training a new employee (making 5 of us, plus Diane who really tries hard to help when she can). I'm working on Chuck's Scirocco calipers. I'm finishing up the RSR calipers. Yes, trying to keep up on social media and things like this. I'm the only one here who can answer the technical questions, the "where's my order" questions, all of the e-mails etc. I'm "about" the only one who can do all of the receiving making sure things like rare, Wide L-Calipers are received as such.

I'm VERY thankful for you all and your business. It KILLS me not to be able to answer every single question, every single e-mail, every single day. I love nothing more that to sit around talk calipers and vintage Porsches with everyone. We are simply buried right now trying to crank out calipers as fast as we can.

Moving on, I eventually purchased another caliper for Chuck hoping to compensate for the seized caliper. After tearing it down I went back and moved forward with his original calipers today (I had to make sure I was missing something with his frozen/rusted adjusters). Chucks calipers have some pretty serious issues which I'm basically now devoting 100% of my time to so, I'm very sorry... I can't get to the phone or deal with the 50 e-mails still unanswered today. Diane is working hard to try to contact those who are calling and asking about order etc.

Again, I thank you all for your patience and your support.

P.S. As I told Chuck this morning; I don't want these to be construed as excuses... just bringing ya'll up to speed.

Hey Eric - if it'll help you get another customers calipers done, I can send back my late rear cores ahead of receiving my rebuilt calipers.... Jon Landis
messix
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 11 2016, 02:35 PM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ May 11 2016, 03:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Series9 @ May 11 2016, 01:18 PM) *

I'll tell you right now:

Eric Shea is a friend. He's a friend to me personally, and to the Porsche community. I've stayed at his house, had drinks on his back porch and known him personally for fifteen years.

If you think he's dishonest in ANY way, you are completely wrong.

PMB does ALL the high-end brake work for Series 9, and they always will.

I'm 100% sure he sees all of this and that he's doing his best to deal with a super successful business and make his customers happy.

Rick Dishonest and being a cyber bully is two way differant things hes said alot of really mean nasty things to not only me but to others and a young lady as well that I dont see around here anymore... did everyone forget about that! ...and over 6month for a product....sound to me like hes taking care of the hi dollar guys and piss n on the little guys...if its not first come first served it should be..
I dont think hes seeing this or he`d be telling me I need counseling again and how stupid I was and that I needed help lol4:Like i dont already know that ya fuck av-943.gif ..I dont forget being disrespected by someone that dont know shit about me or who I am or what I know or dont know

point blank! Eric Shea CAN KISS MY BIG WHITE ASS ..and if i get booted off 914world so be it... sorry but ill stand up to a bully every time and thats all he is as far as im concerned,,,

MikeC.. good day gents

I know more about you than you think. I come from a Police family. Growing up around police officers taught me that there's good cops and bad cops. You're a bad cop in my book. Chip on your shoulder and way too much anger for most of the world.

Again, therapy would be a good place to start. Good luck. I honestly wish you well and hope we could share a beer some day. beerchug.gif

bad cop???? lol-2.gif

more like a juvenile delinquent lol-2.gif
you must have his brothers occupation confused with him.....
Mikey has very bad online translation to who and how he is in person.
6freak
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 11 2016, 02:35 PM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ May 11 2016, 03:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Series9 @ May 11 2016, 01:18 PM) *

I'll tell you right now:

Eric Shea is a friend. He's a friend to me personally, and to the Porsche community. I've stayed at his house, had drinks on his back porch and known him personally for fifteen years.

If you think he's dishonest in ANY way, you are completely wrong.

PMB does ALL the high-end brake work for Series 9, and they always will.

I'm 100% sure he sees all of this and that he's doing his best to deal with a super successful business and make his customers happy.

Rick Dishonest and being a cyber bully is two way differant things hes said alot of really mean nasty things to not only me but to others and a young lady as well that I dont see around here anymore... did everyone forget about that! ...and over 6month for a product....sound to me like hes taking care of the hi dollar guys and piss n on the little guys...if its not first come first served it should be..
I dont think hes seeing this or he`d be telling me I need counseling again and how stupid I was and that I needed help lol4:Like i dont already know that ya fuck av-943.gif ..I dont forget being disrespected by someone that dont know shit about me or who I am or what I know or dont know

point blank! Eric Shea CAN KISS MY BIG WHITE ASS ..and if i get booted off 914world so be it... sorry but ill stand up to a bully every time and thats all he is as far as im concerned,,,

MikeC.. good day gents

Ahhhh... It wouldn't be complete without a good bashing from Mike. biggrin.gif

Let's be clear... you e-mailed and asked me if the assembly lube we used would be harmful to your brake system. I replied "JOKINGLY"... "Yes, that's why we use it." wink.gif

You took extreme offense at this "one remark" and have been spewing hate about me ever since, whenever and wherever you can. I'd like to make it right by you but, quite frankly, I think you have mental health issues.

How many names have I called you Mike? How many threads have I come into with the sole intent of bashing you? Who's the bully Mike?

I know more about you than you think. I come from a Police family. Growing up around police officers taught me that there's good cops and bad cops. You're a bad cop in my book. Chip on your shoulder and way too much anger for most of the world.

Again, therapy would be a good place to start. Good luck. I honestly wish you well and hope we could share a beer some day. beerchug.gif

all that and im a mental case bad cop that needs therapy and you still wanna have a beer with me. lol-2.gif .. should I feel special cause I dont! and fuck you and your beer... yeah lets be clear!you know theres more, wheres all the post and the PMs no I wasnt real happy about the globs of black crap coming out of my 600 dollar brand new ready to install calipers and the question was will the excessive amount cause any problems ..I got a smart ass answer when I had a concern and I didnt like it.Id never met you before and never talked with you and had no idea you where a sarcastic asshole like me..I mentioned the bleeders you said we dont ship with bleeders ! now how was I to know that ,yet there they were in the box all bent plugged and broke, but all I got was accused of bashing one of the golden boys . thats when it got ugly and you called me a liar a hothead BLA BLA BLA that was in need of therapy.. I may have called you an asshole or prick and probably always will laugh.gif but never said you were a mental case and need to go to therapy,,, Thats being the bully IMO the other name calling crap you better just have thick skin and I do .... but you made it personal and ill have a hard time letting that go... if you were standing in front of me I would kick you square in the nuts laugh.gif then it would be over and id let ya buy me that beer

later
6freak

bad cop???? lol-2.gif

I know right ! anything but that laugh.gif my cheeks are hurt n
timothy_nd28
Finkle Einhorn laces out!
veekry9
The playing field was in the barnyard and both teams were in need of a good dive into the lake,the manure everywhere.
blink.gif
/
messix
QUOTE(veekry9 @ May 11 2016, 06:09 PM) *

The playing field was in the barnyard and both teams were in need of a good dive into the lake,the manure everywhere.
blink.gif
/

this has got to be the best post from freaky9 i have ever seen!!!! shades.gif lol-2.gif
r_towle
In my opinion Eric is one of the successful companies that this community has spawned. There have been a few companies that came into existence from this site, but Eric held his integrity up as high as he could manage to build a long term business.

I applaud the efforts.
Sorry about your Dad.
Good luck with the estate....

Just cause
http://www.joeharmondesign.com/
https://jimsgarage.wordpress.com/2008/04/06...-you-will-like/
http://www.houston-imports.com/forums/show...r&p=9243212
https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome...engine+for+sale
http://www.northstarperformance.com/sgstuds.php
914outlaw
"Let's be clear... you e-mailed and asked me if the assembly lube we used would be harmful to your brake system. I replied "JOKINGLY"... "Yes, that's why we use it." wink.gif

I like sarcasm and can appreciate a good sarcastic remark but that reply would barely be considered a sarcastic remark in my book. He even used a wink.gif emoji for crying out loud and it is hardly worth taking offense to.
But hey, to each his own. Anyway, if you want to get rebuilt caliper for a bargain price and outstanding customer service, I would recommend Automobile Atlanta. They are in Atlanta. Georgia. wink.gif wink.gif
scotty b
he sent me a mangled sticker !! mad.gif
DBCooper
QUOTE(dpires914 @ May 11 2016, 06:09 PM) *
Anyway, if you want to get rebuilt caliper for a bargain price and outstanding customer service, I would recommend Automobile Atlanta. They are in Atlanta. Georgia. wink.gif wink.gif

Ha ha ha ha, true, true. Go try that and THEN come back and tell us all about quality customer service. happy11.gif av-943.gif

sixnotfour
popcorn[1].gif
mgp4591
They are in Atlanta. Georgia. wink.gif wink.gif

As opposed to Atlanta Georgia Ukraine? confused24.gif

Sorry about your experience with PMB but all of the positive comments posted here add up to a reputable business with great products and very little negative feedback. Any orders can slip through the cracks in any business and we all have bad days on the phone. Seems like you may have caught a few in a row which is overwhelmingly not usually the case with PMB.
pete000
I have used PMB a few times with no problems..
JRust
QUOTE(6freak @ May 11 2016, 05:41 PM) *

if you were standing in front of me I would kick you square in the nuts laugh.gif then it would be over and id let ya buy me that beer

later

Hey not that I'd look forward to it but I'd take the kick in the nuts for either one of you. If it would end this & you guys could enjoy a beer together. I know you both well & you'd get along great if you got past this. Hell I'm done having kids anyway confused24.gif . I would like to point out this is not a blanket kick me in the nuts offer. This is for specific situation for a specific result wub.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(JRust @ May 12 2016, 01:41 AM) *

if you were standing in front of me I would kick you square in the nuts laugh.gif then it would be over and id let ya buy me that beer

later

Hey not that I'd look forward to it but I'd take the kick in the nuts for either one of you. If it would end this & you guys could enjoy a beer together. I know you both well & you'd get along great if you got past this. Hell I'm done having kids anyway confused24.gif . I would like to point out this is not a blanket kick me in the nuts offer. This is for specific situation for a specific result wub.gif

See you next week Jamie, evilgrin.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif
boxsterfan
Clearly, we need a solution to our problems here. I am suggesting this form.

Blue6
Eric, I'm very sorry about the loss of your father. Wishing you and your family peace as you work through the process of dealing with the loss. Also glad the hear you and the OP are working out the problem...
iankarr
Sorry for your loss, Eric. My dad passed two years ago and I know how surreal the experience of losing a parent can be.

I also own a service business that is often very dependent on me doing a lot of work myself. We just celebrated 30 years and I thought I'd give you a few things I learned that may help you on your journey. I realize this advice is unsolicited, so feel free to do with it what you like wink.gif

1 - I would've had far fewer growing pains if I first decided exactly how big I wanted the business to become, and worked backwards from that goal to give the company what it needed to grow. In my case, I ultimately decided that I needed someone to run the business operations so I could be free to oversee my staff and help them as needed. It was way easier to find operations people than skilled technicians. Most importantly, I figured out what it was that I loved about the business, and then tweaked things to allow me to do more of that...and less of the things I hated.

2 - I learned that I could eliminate 99.9% of customer issues by simply managing their expectations. If, before someone sends their work in, you tell them that it may be 6 months before you can get to their stuff, they can opt to go to someone else and save you the headache of dealing with a customer that's operating on a different timeline. While it may seem counterintuitive to possibly turn away work, you'll actually be happier and way more productive. In the process of managing your customer's expectations, you're also managing your stress level. If delays happen in the process, keeping the customer proactively informed (without them having to call you for info) will keep them happy and save you the trouble and time of threads like these. Again, in my case, once I had a dedicated Head of Operations who kept a schedule on everything in house, they were able to track all jobs and immediately know when something was getting delayed. My clients really appreciate the heads-up. And because keeping clients informed doesn't fall 100% on me, my travel schedule and/or personal life doesn't hold up customer communication.

3- Most importantly...I learned to treasure all feedback... both negative and positive. They're huge learning opportunities...and rare because most people don't go through the trouble to tell you what they don't like. In my business, they simply don't come back. When someone takes the time to hold a mirror up to my business, I consider it a precious gift.

Your mileage may vary wink.gif

Thanks for being there for our community!

Amphicar770
Eric,

Truly sorry to hear about your loss.

It reminds all of us, myself included, to be empathetic and remember that others (business associates, co-workers, friends) are often dealing with tough times while still trying to keep all the balls in the air. The normally excellent service leads us to forget that maybe there is a good reason why someone does not get immediately on a particular occasion.

Thank you for reminding us how hard you try to do right by your customers even when facing challenges that would cause many others to simply shut the doors. running any small business is not easy.

Catorse
I spent 60K on my 914 6 conversion / restoration. Through this process, I spent at least 2k from PMB.

I am going to throw some other vendors under the bus here. I used:

- 914 rubber (2K spent)
- Dougherty cams (1k spent)
- Competition Engineering (7k spent)
- Rebel Racing (1k spent)

Each of them was at times hard to get a hold of. A half dozen calls, on average, from each vendor went unanswered. Emails were sometimes slow to respond.

You know what I've learned? That's the nature of this business. All these guys are dudes that started in their garage and then branched out. They are swamped. At some point I vowed never again to use each of them for various reasons.

Now, I take it all back. I got my (outstanding) products from each. yes, EACH ONE has time management and communication issues. But the product outweighs this.

My $.02
6freak
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 11 2016, 10:57 PM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ May 12 2016, 01:41 AM) *

later

See you next week Jamie, evilgrin.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif

Scott S.. you are correct Sir more of a misunderstanding ,but no need for the mental issue comments and saying im a bad person! thats over the line IMO and I even indorsed his business up to that point ,but no one remembers that

Rob.. I`m first and thats all there is to it laugh.gif I just gotta get there

Jamie.. Thanks and because you`ll do that ill wear my track shoes instead of my normal everyday steel toed work boots lol-2.gif

Troy. still saving your moose meat chowtime.gif moose tacos are freak n awsome

and to the others look back a page or two folks ..when i said fuck that no im not over it ...then said "Joking"....I am over it! and not upset anymore about being disrespected by someone I gave my money to and got a not ready to install set of shiney brakes as advertised ! ...but when you get called a mental case that needs therapy and a no good person.. how the hell you think any MAN would react, Thats where the grudge is and I think any one of you would feel the same,if a man questioned your integrity and your worth, and if that aint worth sticking up for ,,go take your balls outta your wifes purse and feed them to the dog cause you dont need them anymore

Mr Shea ive forgotten about the crappy service you provided to me twice, live and learn thats life...but what ive not forgotten is the comments in reguards to my mental state and my integritiy...you WILL NOT say that kinda shit about me or anyone again I hope im 100% clear DONT DO IT thats a fair warning

MikeC smile.gif
Chris H.
Alright....

Click to view attachment

914_3.0
When I was trying to figure out what kind of crazy Wilwood-knockoffs my car had on the front, Eric spent a lot of time with me through multiple calls and e-mails. He stepped me through the entire process of figuring out my piston displacements, making sure the bias was right, stopped me from spending money on what I didn't need, and sold me an awesome set of pads that transformed my car for autocross. Doesn't make sense that this is somebody who suddenly doesn't care about taking care of their customers.

Aaaaand.... Just by what I've seen posted in this thread from our representative from law enforcement, I tend to think Eric was right on the money. People who can't say their piece once and let it go end up making resources like PMB unavailable for all of us when people finally get tired of personal attacks from a dog with a small bone, and decide it isn't worth it anymore! agree.gif
mepstein
The amount of money I've spent at PMB, I must be insane!
BTW, they are the official rebuilder for our shop, we no longer do the calipers in house.
Eric, buddy, i got an order for you... biggrin.gif
veekry9
In today's age,the advantages of the boom in comtech is a boon to customer interface and service channels.
Why,back 40yrs ago we were communicating over phone line twisted pairs,mollasses slow and repetitive for hangs.
A massive unloading of time wasting part and scheduling coms is matter of fact instant now.
Repeating the same call handling as you did 20+yrs ago means the workload will increase to failure.
A giant cluster of unhappy clients frustrated at time and money consuming hassle.
A giant screen display of in and out dbs and flow tracking is a visual method of snag solving.
Getting up to speed is no little thing,usually takes a teenwhiz to make it work,the neanderthals ugghing and grunting.
Rising above to implement the cure for the bottleneck will return dividends and a leaner,sleeker appearance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbfV7EQpz_I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQwYNca4iog
/
rhodyguy
Ok...who hijacked mike's account. That can't be him posting. first.gif
wndsnd
I trust my life to PMB Products and before I purchased, Eric was very helpful with a carburation questions I had. He had nothing invested at the time.

6freak
I need to take back the end of my last post..saying thats a fair warning ,,I dont want that to be construde as a threat because it was not...
MikeC good day
6freak

representative from law enforcement,

ITS THE COPS HIDE THE DOPE.... lol-2.gif dude you ate the whole bag...ohhhh nooo

biggrin.gif
jim_hoyland
Always had a positive experience with PMB; got a lot of help when I went to vented rotors. Will always call PMB when I need parts or advice
Cuda911
Here's something ironic....

This is the first time I have seen this thread. As I am reading it, look at the shirt I am wearing! smile.gif

P.S. John P., excellent work on the shirt design!
Mikey914
Happy birthday Eric
rgalla9146
Happy Birthday Eric !
You shifty eyed bastard.
No one appreciated Van Gogh either.
R
pgollender
Eric did some great work on my calipers too in the past and had some problems getting some parts that were out of his control.
Like a fool, I lamblasted him because my panties must have been on way too tight that day.
He handled my problem in a professional manner, more than made up for it with"extras" thrown in, which he was in no obligation to do so.
I should know better. I myself own my own 65 hour/week business and have to deal with issues with suppliers every week along with my "regular" life too.
I would never consider using another brake restoration service other than PMB brakes. and I do have another 914 under restoration construction.
When I grow up I want to be like Eric too.
porbmw
I have glanced through this thread, didn't wish to weigh in, but here it goes.

I "met" Eric at the start of my project(s). That was a few years ago, now (sadly, the projects have not progressed much, since then).

But at the time we "met", theworld appeared to be going through a rough patch. Through all that, Eric used a word that I do not see often enough..."empathize", and he used it with regards to a debate regarding certain abuses that "some" were taking at the expense of others.

I gave Eric a lot of respect for his use and appreciation of that word, and concept.

And, for what it is worth, not long after, he rebuilt some 6 rear calipers, did an awesome job at (what I realized later) a most reasonable price...AND...when I needed another pair of 6 rear calipers, he happened upon someone who had a set for sale and, rather than buying them, and then selling them to me with markup, passed on the info so I could deal directly with the owner, who sold them to me at a most reasonable price.

Moving forward....I gather Eric has made "brakes his business' and is now self employed. I am self employed. My wife is not. I envy her. She sleeps at night. I do not.

There will be other members out there who are self employed, and some will be fortunate enough to not have to worry about things, or have learned the skill of either managing their business to the point of "no worries", or the skill of leaving those worries "at the door". I have not. It is a daily challenge.

And frankly, the biggest challenge I have is "saying no" to someone with a genuine problem, who pleads with me to help them out 'because no one else will". I get it often, and damned if I don't relent and try to help them out....and THAT is the biggest problem. Because almost invariably THOSE are the problems that keep me up at night...and take away my energy that I could/should be using on the "easy problems" that are "no - brainers", would make me a whole lot more money, and cause me a whole lot less grief. Almost invariably, the "problem problems" are such, because they need some time to sort out, and cannot be done with little thought or consideration.....and almost invariably, I then get the telephone calls/emails etc from the "owners of the problem problems" wondering why I have taken so long to sort it out, or to respond, etc....and I rue the day I agreed to take it on.

I have a sense that at least some of the difficulties Eric MAY be facing, may stem from that arena.

Regardless, for most of us, our teeners are second vehicles, and yes, we would like to have them available and roadworthy at every moment, because we don't always have that many moments to enjoy them.... I get it. But a bit of empathy is not a bad thing, going in both directions.
worn
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ May 13 2016, 12:49 PM) *

Happy Birthday Eric !
You shifty eyed bastard.
No one appreciated Van Gogh either.
R

agree.gif

I make stuff. Sometimes someone wants to buy them cause I try real hard and have been gifted with some talent and tools. At over 60 it is hard to imagine finding someone who has the experience and training I do that I could afford to hire. So even though asked, I would NEVER go into business selling what I make. I may give it to you though. I know I would let people down if I went into business. So I pity and admire those that are willing to share their talent commercially. One vendor in the southeastern U.S. sent me the wrong things three times in a row and actually asked me to ship one of the wrong items on to the correct person at my own cost (which I did). That I would say is a different story - gross negligence. Even then, it was probably an issue of our national race to the bottom of minimum wage. Artisan work is hard to scale at costs individuals are willing to pay. Which makes things hard. Wish us all luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.