Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Restoration 1st phase, some questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dutchdriver
Hi all,

I am in the process of restoring my 914 1.7. It's a LHD EU model.

Right now I am stripping the car of all it's paint (now red, but there is yellow underneath). After that I will restore all rusted area's.

I want the car to be painted completely as original as possible, I have found someone (pro) who will do the painting.

My 1st question is: is there somewhere a "painting scheme", to see wich parts need to be painted? Of course the complete body needs to be painted, but was the engine compartement + trunk etc also originally painted in the main color of the car? Or where those area's always painted in black? Since my car has been repainted by Stevie Wonder, I wanted to check with you guys

2nd question for anyone who has already repainted his/her car: can you recommend to paint other parts besides the body as well? Since I am in the process of stripping and painting, maybe it's wise to paint some other parts as well. Just checking if somebody has got some tips out of their own experience.

3rd question: my 914 has a fixed right seat. On the internet I found out that all '71 models had a fixed seat and from '72 onwards, all models had movable right seats.
Is that correct? I have an original Porsche "birth certificate", which states the car was build in '72, so I am a bit confused on which exact model I have.

Click to view attachment
falcor75
Your car probably is built in 71 but wasnt sold till 72.
SixerJ
Hi, body is all one colour inside and out and your body guy will be able to advise on the best process to repair existing paint and or build up from bare steel

As far as I'm aware, factory was, etch / phosphate Primer, seam seal (the application method varied with age), Wurth underbody schutz for floor pan and under wheel arches, primer and top coat

Factory -6 were slightly different for example had brush applied black underbody around front strut towers etc

Others with greater knowledge will chime in & check out the originality threads

Good luck with your car and post pictures!

welcome.png
mark04usa
welcome.png The fixed passenger seat was changed to a movable seat during the 1972 model year.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.