Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.2 motronice ecu mounting locations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914dave
For all you 3.2 conversion guys out there. I'm looking for ideas on mounting the ecu and altitude sensor. Under seats, rear trunk I'm open to ideas. I'm assuming that because it's not a sealed unit, that the engine bay is out of the question. I'm having and issue under the seats because I've welded submarine belt bungs to the floor, I've limited my placement options.
Thanks
Dave
Steve
I have the Ecu behind the drivers seat. It's held to the backpad with a longer back pad screw. The altitude and DME relay is behind the passenger seat. Didn't have to modify the cables at all.
914dave
QUOTE(Steve @ May 13 2016, 05:12 PM) *

I have the Ecu behind the drivers seat. It's held t the backpad with a longer back pad screw. The altitude and DME relay is behind the passenger seat. Didn't have to modify the cables at all.

Steve
Are they mounted vertical to the lower firewall?
MoveQik
Clean. Never in the way and easy access.
mepstein
Dave - I have the interior out of my car. I think I have enough length on the dme harness to run it up the tunnel to the passenger footrest. If that doesn't work, it will probably go in back of the driver seat. I have the fixed passenger seat on my early car.
Steve
QUOTE(914dave @ May 13 2016, 02:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ May 13 2016, 05:12 PM) *

I have the Ecu behind the drivers seat. It's held t the backpad with a longer back pad screw. The altitude and DME relay is behind the passenger seat. Didn't have to modify the cables at all.

Steve
Are they mounted vertical to the lower firewall?

yes, I am just using one back pad screw to hold it in place flat against the backpad. Works great and the cable is just the right length. I can take pictures later tonight.
buck toenges
I have mine in the center console behind the gauges. easy to get at the dmv relay. Ran the wiring harness under the center tray and above the tunnel.
Buck
buck toenges
sorry, due relay
buck toenges
DME relay DME relay DME relay.
Cairo94507
av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif Freakin' spell check....
QUOTE(MoveQik @ May 13 2016, 02:58 PM) *

Clean. Never in the way and easy access.

Perfect clean location, why to go. piratenanner.gif
914dave
Thanks for all the feedback. There are some great ideas. Since I widened my Konig seats , I won't be running a backpad. So I was playing with locations last night and came up with this. I will either make a cover or make a custom center console that covers the ECU. I'll mount the altitude sensor and dme relay behind the pass seat. Click to view attachment
TeenerTech
this is what we have done in the past 3.2 conversions
i personally prefer the under dash mounting because it doesn't interfere with anything.
Click to view attachment
The center seat mounting done here we are going to be building a console for a sub and power window switches so it will be hidden.
Click to view attachment
This is how we rout the wires through the firewall. this is so your not relying on a grommet to keep water out and it makes removing the engine simple, you do not have to remove the entire harness to drop the motor.
Click to view attachment
echocanyons
QUOTE(TeenerTech @ May 14 2016, 10:20 AM) *

this is what we have done in the past 3.2 conversions
i personally prefer the under dash mounting because it doesn't interfere with anything.

Please be aware that in doing this the wire harness no longer fits in the stock groove and modifications of carpet and/or omissions of center console are necessary.

BTW do you have any more pictures of my car during the time it was spent at Marks shop? I would love to have them.
SirAndy
I personally prefer the under dash mounting because it doesn't interfere with anything.

That's where i mounted my 3.6L brain ...
smile.gif
TeenerTech
BTW do you have any more pictures of my car during the time it was spent at Marks shop? I would love to have them.

sure ill let him know tomorrow and we will send you what we have.
worn
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 14 2016, 09:56 AM) *

I personally prefer the under dash mounting because it doesn't interfere with anything.

smile.gif

Mine is behind the passenger seat. Fuse block from a 911 lives there too for fuel pump and key-on ECU circuit. Figure the passengers are often shorter than drivers.
Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 14 2016, 01:56 PM) *

smile.gif

If I can get mine to reach, that's where it will go.
TeenerTech

You have to make an extension harness to get it to reach the factory 3.2 harness isn't long enough
mepstein
QUOTE(TeenerTech @ May 14 2016, 03:25 PM) *

You have to make an extension harness to get it to reach the factory 3.2 harness isn't long enough

Had a feeling. Then It will probably go between the seats or ahead of the shift lever
Steve
Here's mine. Did not have to modify any of the wires. Center seat and storage bin fit fine with no modifications.
Click to view attachment
Steve
Click to view attachment
dflesburg
under passenger seat on the floor.
914dave
Thanks for all the feedback guys. It's been very helpful
Cracker
Dave,

Whenever you get all of that sorted out...take a trip down South and run with us. We have a couple other "green" teeners to keep you company.

Just curious...why is the truck off limits? Super easy in every way...

Tony
914dave
QUOTE(Reverend Troublemaker @ May 16 2016, 08:36 PM) *

Dave,

Whenever you get all of that sorted out...take a trip down South and run with us. We have a couple other "green" teeners to keep you company.

Just curious...why is the truck off limits? Super easy in every way...

Tony

It's not off limits. It's about leaving space for dry storage. My front trunk has the gt headlight kit and an oil cooler. So it won't be dry. I want to leave the rear trunk with as much room for traveling. I plan on towing a teardrop trailer with the car. The trunk will be my wardrobe when I'm traveling.
The Mitty is on my list the next couple of years. So I'll be heading to your neck of the woods.
mepstein
Every time our guy opens up a brain for repair, he complains about the cheap board used in the construction. It's a little better than pressed cardboard. So keeping it dry is really important. For movequick in az, that's not an issue. For us east coasters, keeping the dme brain inside the cabin is a smart move. I am even hesitant about placing it under the seat since that's the low spot of the floor pan and that's where water gathers first. It happens and I see it all the time from cars that come into our shop. Everyone has their own risk tolerance. I just have some from my day to day work.
Steve
Might not be a problem else where, but I was also worried about the heat in the rear trunk. It gets pretty toasty in so cal.
MoveQik
I'll address two concerns raised....

Keeping it dry in the trunk. Not a problem even driving through some nasty rains over the years and the car sitting out over night getting rained on all night. Trunk seals are your friend! :-) I would argue that my rear trunk is sealed up better than my cab. Not really bragging about that but I think its true! blink.gif

Getting too hot. Has yet to be a problem even driving in 110 degree Arizona heat. confused24.gif
914dave
QUOTE(MoveQik @ May 17 2016, 03:00 PM) *

I'll address two concerns raised....

Keeping it dry in the trunk. Not a problem even driving through some nasty rains over the years and the car sitting out over night getting rained on all night. Trunk seals are your friend! :-) I would argue that my rear trunk is sealed up better than my cab. Not really bragging about that but I think its true! blink.gif

Getting too hot. Has yet to be a problem even driving in 110 degree Arizona heat. confused24.gif

Mike
I'll defer to your expertise when it comes to heat. You would have the most experience with that. What I do want to ask is where do the wires other than the ECU , altitude sensor and the relay go. From you pic it cuts off on the left, that looks like a ground and what is under the carpet where the Jack should be? Those were wires I needed to find out about.
Thanks
Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.