Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB VDO Temp gage w/numeric readout + sender
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
wes
I want to up grade my stock 74 2.0 console oil temp gage to the VDO Numeric Type and accompanying Sender
Tom_T
Wes,

VDO sells them new, but the diameter of the gauge face is smaller than your stock one, so you'll also need the rubber adapter ring for it to fit the larger center console hole. The gauge & sender are available anywhere selling VDO instruments, & the usual 914 new parts sources, so just get the best price.

I think that either VDO makes & sells the adapter rings, or else 914Rubber, Auto Atlanta, or others may have them.

Another option that some with the 74-76 914s with the wide red band OT gauges did back in the 70's, was the take the OT manually with the gauge pointing at a certain place on the gauge, then put a tick mark, & repeat for the range (after a few readings you could extrapolate the rise). Some added white letters for temps., & others just memorized it. Today a laser heat gun makes this easy.

Also, I think that North Hollywood Speedo &/or Palo Alto Speedo could do that for you as a custom gauge face for a stock OT gauge of the proper diameter. .... i.e.: it could be done as a numbered face.

Oddly enough, the early 73 MY brochures for the 914s, shows a numbered OT gauge in the pic of the 2L's center console! Apparently they went with the KISS red band solution in the end.

There are a few options for you to ponder! idea.gif

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
wes
Thanks Tom my problem is I have a new engine that ether has the wrong sending unite or isn't working so my stock gage is useless at this point.
In the end I would like to install a head temp gage, numeric oil temp gage, and oil pressure gage.
Now WCR is in just a few days and with no working temp readout other than a oil dip stick gage on a complete new set up I'm not to excited about running my engine for fear of a Meltdown! hissyfit.gif
The Murphy's law comes into all this as I have a complete engine with I believe the right sender berried in the grange headbang.gif that would take a week to get to dew to wife and kids junk (Oh ya I have my parts car and my unorganized parts stash in that mess as well).
So Im just looking to buy and overnight confused24.gif just dew to our (mostly my) unorganized Garage.
boxstr
Is this kind of what you are looking for?
Craig at CAMP
wes
QUOTE(boxstr @ May 14 2016, 02:14 PM) *

Is this kind of what you are looking for?
Craig at CAMP

The top one just might work, is it for sale?
and if so could you overnight it Paypal?
boxstr
Do want just the one gauge or the complete panel?
Craig
boxstr
This gauge is installed in the stock size 914 fuel gauge.
Craig at CAMP
bdstone914
You need a sending unit marked 150 C. Ground the sender wire and it should peg the gauge proving the gauge works. North Hollywood speedo sells the senders. The gauges shown at 52mm and do not fit a stock 914 console . Also that temp gauge takes a different sender that does not fit the taco plate. Find out what you have before buying more parts that are not going to solve your problem.
wes
Thanks all Im on hold until Monday to be sure of what Im doing as it looks like I may be able to get what I want and actually need at Palo Alto Speedometer in person!
914Sixer
Is this what you want? I can build you one from your old gauge and supply the temp sender to go with it. You will have to have a new trim ring IF the old one does not come off ok. $99 shipped
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.