Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Local to me 914 for sale
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
billh1963
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ May 16 2016, 06:52 PM) *

Yeah, he emailed me and said he received a deposit. I'm not heartbroken. I was in love with the price but not the car. Yeah that's Mr #2 the timid buyer talking, lol.

If the car didn't "talk to you" then the price doesn't matter. Keep looking.
Gunn1
QUOTE(billh1963 @ May 16 2016, 08:49 PM) *

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ May 16 2016, 06:52 PM) *

Yeah, he emailed me and said he received a deposit. I'm not heartbroken. I was in love with the price but not the car. Yeah that's Mr #2 the timid buyer talking, lol.

If the car didn't "talk to you" then the price doesn't matter. Keep looking.

Yep......mine talked me out of my time and money!

Ha
mepstein
QUOTE(billh1963 @ May 16 2016, 10:37 AM) *

There are several types of 914 buyers:
1. Tire kickers - fantasize about a car but never take action. They spend a lot of time and emotional energy (and use up other peoples time) but never buy. No car is ever right. A lot of them place WTB ads on the forums then basically disappear

2. Timid buyers (chicken shits) - These are the guys who over analyze everything, worry about the price, and waffle over the decision. Once someone else buys the car they realize it was a good deal and then whine on the forums about how they could have had that car but someone else bought it out from under them

3. Flippers/Dealers - No explanation needed. They are quick to move on properly priced cars and snatch them up...usually pissing off the chicken shits. The dealers don't post...just lurk while others find and post cars the dealer winds up buying

4. More money than sense - That's me far too often. Buying a car on emotion rather than fact smile.gif

5. Informed and Decisive buyers - Buyers who have been looking for a while, have done their research and realize that no 40+ year old car is perfect. When a decent car comes along they jump in and buy it.

They may be other types but this sums up what I see on a regular basis.

What does this have to do with this thread? It's a warning to prospective buyers. If you are serious, put a deposit on the car and get off your ass. I wouldn't be surprised if a dealer has already moved on this car. Waiting on a PPI on a $6000 car without a deposit guarantees someone like me or a dealer will get there first. Good luck to everyone involved lol-2.gif

Bill, you forgot one. biggrin.gif
6. Buys everything within an 8 hour drive of their house. headbang.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 17 2016, 07:42 AM) *

1. Tire kickers - fantasize about a car but never take action. They spend a lot of time and emotional energy (and use up other peoples time) but never buy. No car is ever right. A lot of them place WTB ads on the forums then basically disappear

2. Timid buyers (chicken shits) - These are the guys who over analyze everything, worry about the price, and waffle over the decision. Once someone else buys the car they realize it was a good deal and then whine on the forums about how they could have had that car but someone else bought it out from under them

3. Flippers/Dealers - No explanation needed. They are quick to move on properly priced cars and snatch them up...usually pissing off the chicken shits. The dealers don't post...just lurk while others find and post cars the dealer winds up buying

4. More money than sense - That's me far too often. Buying a car on emotion rather than fact smile.gif

5. Informed and Decisive buyers - Buyers who have been looking for a while, have done their research and realize that no 40+ year old car is perfect. When a decent car comes along they jump in and buy it.

What does this have to do with this thread? It's a warning to prospective buyers. If you are serious, put a deposit on the car and get off your ass. I wouldn't be surprised if a dealer has already moved on this car. Waiting on a PPI on a $6000 car without a deposit guarantees someone like me or a dealer will get there first. Good luck to everyone involved lol-2.gif

LOL...I should make a special category just for you! beer.gif
Gunn1
[quote name='mepstein' date='May 17 2016, 06:42 AM' post='2345792']
[quote name='billh1963' post='2345366' date='May 16 2016, 10:37 AM']

[/quote]
[/quote

6 hour radius for me..bring a trailer unless your willing to gamble with the car going to someone else.
7TPorsh
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ May 16 2016, 04:02 PM) *

Correct....this one is now gone...one day....it was solid, white with tan interior...most probably purchased by a type 3 soon to be offered to you again for $8k.

Keep your eyes out...it will popup ....maybe someone here got it?
billh1963
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ May 17 2016, 04:51 PM) *

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ May 16 2016, 04:02 PM) *

Correct....this one is now gone...one day....it was solid, white with tan interior...most probably purchased by a type 3 soon to be offered to you again for $8k.

Keep your eyes out...it will popup ....maybe someone here got it?

Yep. I'm afraid that with the current hot market the chicken shits will lose out unless they stumble on a car not advertised or find one across the street. rolleyes.gif

That leaves more for me and Mark! aktion035.gif
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 17 2016, 04:42 AM) *

Bill and Mark,
There's one more category that I fell in when I almost bought the Seinfeld GT in 1982....I already had two and if I bought another one. I would be paying alimony after that too.
In the end, everything worked out for the better. ..as I was able to spec my last ride.
So there's really 7 categories....buy and pay the X smile.gif
Gunn1
QUOTE(billh1963 @ May 16 2016, 09:37 AM) *

Hmmmmm
Might be a good nailed thread

iwanta914-6
I'm still holding out hopes for now two different possibilities that are not (yet) advertised. One is the 75 1.8L Ancona Blue, and now a 72 1.7L Irish Green has popped up not far from me. Of course both say rust "free". Not sure if the rust that comes with the car is free or if there's no rust, lol.

The "problem" I'm having is that both of these sellers have stated that they don't know the value. I feel it's not my place to fill them in on what the value is, it should be up to them to research it. BUT, I figure if I get to the point of making an offer, I want to make it fair yet still get as good a deal as possible.

Anything advertised just moves to fast for this "chicken shit".
Gunn1
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ May 18 2016, 08:33 AM) *

I'm still holding out hopes for now two different possibilities that are not (yet) advertised. One is the 75 1.8L Ancona Blue, and now a 72 1.7L Irish Green has popped up not far from me. Of course both say rust "free". Not sure if the rust that comes with the car is free or if there's no rust, lol.

The "problem" I'm having is that both of these sellers have stated that they don't know the value. I feel it's not my place to fill them in on what the value is, it should be up to them to research it. BUT, I figure if I get to the point of making an offer, I want to make it fair yet still get as good a deal as possible.

Anything advertised just moves to fast for this "chicken shit".

Which I think is fine.....However I think if you are truly serious about it, what many of the folks here are saying is You need to be ready to act, You need to have the cash available, in hand. you have to have a trailer or be willing to pay a flat bed service to transport the car. buying close to home is best, I would never make this type of purchase without Physically seeing the car MYSELF, I wouldn't rely on anyone else's opinion but my own. if you are Married or close to it you must have a willing partner to the purchase and the investment of dollars and time the car will require. Wrenching and contemplating what I'm going to do to my cars relieves a ton of stress and helps me be fresh for my "real job" the Fräulein realizes this and encourages me to continue on.

Just my opinion but if your wife/significant other is not behind you and supportive on this deal, It will not be pretty, and probably is not advisable, Unless you enjoy paying alimony.

Just my two cents worth
iwanta914-6
Sage advice, no doubt.

Those of you with wives that understand, you are lucky. I grew up around P-cars and going to club events and I miss it. My wife, well, doesn't get it. I think it's time for me to sign off for a while. sigh...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.