Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Loose fan belt on /6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
Nate took care of adjusting the valves on my engine Monday and noticed that my fan belt was loose. He didn't have the tool for holding the outside half of the pulley, but I did at home.

So, tonight I pulled off the pulley and found that the mounting hole that should have been round with 2 flat sides had become just round.
A call to John Walker in Seattle confirmed that this is a result of the bolt not being on tight enough. The outer pulley is toast now,
but John said he had a used one I can pick up tomorrow. The worst of the news is that the inner half of the pulley is also the fan
and that I've got some grooves cut into it from the friction. I think I can make it work for now. I hope so

Inner half of pulley that is part of the fan

Click to view attachment

The outer half of the pulley that was slipping

Click to view attachment

mepstein
The fan side is pretty thick. You should be ok. Good thing you caught it now.
type2man
If you put more shims , then the outer half of the pulley will contact the good area of the fan that is not worn out. Belt might be loose but the pulley wont fall apart. I think you can shim the fan so it sits higher and the belt can be tighter and you should be good to go.
r_towle
Wtf are those pieces?
PanelBilly
The second one is scrap metal now
brant
No blinking alt light? That is bad. Did it slip?
r_towle
Seriously, what are the metal wires?
My 3.2 is loose.....thought it was just shims...
Like all the other aircooled ones I have ever touched.

SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 17 2016, 08:58 PM) *

It's his girlfriends fancy hand mirror ..
biggrin.gif
2mAn
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ May 17 2016, 08:27 PM) *

The second one is scrap metal now

You should clean it, throw a chain through it and wear it like a necklace at WCR
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 18 2016, 12:04 AM) *

biggrin.gif

Doh!

I did not see that...
PanelBilly
I'm using a mirror from the bathroom and the wires are part of the mirror. It an illusion. Walker said there should be about a half an inch of deflection in the belt. Also that if I try to turn the fan blades it should be difficult because of the tension. I have a digital volt meter and is was showing a charge the whole time.
Dominic
Not sure if this would cure your problem but Rothsport makes a real nice billet aluminum outer pulley half...

http://www.rothsport.com/Products/Engine/F...911-(65-75).htm

6freak
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ May 17 2016, 09:09 PM) *

I'm using a mirror from the bathroom and the wires are part of the mirror. It an illusion. Walker said there should be about a half an inch of deflection in the belt. Also that if I try to turn the fan blades it should be difficult because of the tension. I have a digital volt meter and is was showing a charge the whole time.

easy fix billy get the parts ill come help you tonight after i get loaded
Chris H.
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 17 2016, 11:08 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 18 2016, 12:04 AM) *

biggrin.gif

Doh!

I did not see that...

I know...I was like WTF is that wire clippy thing confused24.gif ?
Cairo94507
Get loaded.... beerchug.gif
rgalla9146
I'd remove the fan, weld the damaged areas, grind, file, reassemble.
New outer pulley too.
jcd914
I don't know if it is my eyes or your picture but I don't see enough damage to the inner pulley half/fan to be concerned with.

Make sure you have enough pulley shims in place when you put it back together.
Without enough shims, the cupped washer can bottom out on the pulley hub and not hold the outer pulley half in place tightly.

There is a minimum number of shims required, I don't remember the number.

Jim
PanelBilly
Got a new outer pulley and a new belt from John. He also gave me a lesson in how to do it. Turns out that the belt I had on it was too big. Got it all together now and it's working.

Dave_Darling
QUOTE(jcd914 @ May 18 2016, 04:49 PM) *

There is a minimum number of shims required, I don't remember the number.

The "extra" shims go on the outside of the pulley, between the outer half and the nut. Failing to do that can cause problems... I forget what they are, but at the very least I could see the possibility of running out of threads.

--DD
zambezi
This is a common problem in the 356 world. The 356 pulleys require 10 shims total. If you only need 5 shims to get a tight belt, then the other 5 shims HAVE to go on the outside of the pulley or the nut will not clamp the whole assembly properly and the pulleys will self destruct after not long.
PanelBilly
This is what it looks like when a pulley comes loose

Click to view attachment
sportlicherFahrer
Glad you got yours up and running. Will be good to see it on the road. My car was not so lucky.
Luke M
Do you have the correct amount of shims in place?

There should be 6 of them total no matter how you have them setup... 3 to inside or 3 outside.. as long as there's 6 and belt is tight. You'll never get the nut/pulley tight enough w/o the proper amount of shims. Then you run into the same problem that you have. The outer pulley chucks back n forth until it's toast.
You may want to reassess your fan side too. Some say to replace it and some say try to fix it. Having the inner pulley welded up then grinding a new flat side could fix it.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...11_fan_belt.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.