Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rubber rubbing blocks around gas-tank.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HansJan
To prepare for the installation of the Tangerine solid fuel lines, I pulled the tank out of the car. Two large rubber blocks fell out. Now I am trying to figure out where to place these blocks when the tank goes back in. Does anyone know?

Additionally Im am looking for new lug nuts. The car has five-lug fuchs rims. But the seller put mismathed nuts on. Mismatched meaning; the conical part of the nuts do not match the concaves in the rims. I still have some aluminum nuts (from my 911 days), but these used to break. Looking on the web I cant find steel black nuts to match the rims. Does anyone here have a solution for this?
Garland
Both sides of the tank, near the top of the strut tower.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Amphicar770
QUOTE(Garland @ May 21 2016, 12:32 AM) *

Both sides of the tank, near the top of the strut tower.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

You will notice a slot running down the length of the rubber block. Those fit on the side of the tank near the top.
porschetub
QUOTE(Hans Jan @ May 21 2016, 03:51 PM) *

To prepare for the installation of the Tangerine solid fuel lines, I pulled the tank out of the car. Two large rubber blocks fell out. Now I am trying to figure out where to place these blocks when the tank goes back in. Does anyone know?

Additionally Im am looking for new lug nuts. The car has five-lug fuchs rims. But the seller put mismathed nuts on. Mismatched meaning; the conical part of the nuts do not match the concaves in the rims. I still have some aluminum nuts (from my 911 days), but these used to break. Looking on the web I cant find steel black nuts to match the rims. Does anyone here have a solution for this?

As the picture shows,my car is silver and the rubber had left black marks on the body,there isn't really a lot of other places for them to go just make sure you bed the tank into them before tightening the strap.

Never had an issue with the alloy nuts as you have mentioned.
HansJan
Thanks for the good explanation and pictures. Without your help I would have thrown them on the bottom of this area (where they were when I first noticed them).

Br,
Hans Jan
Amphicar770
Here is a tip for when you put tank back in. The rubber fuel lines will want to kink, especially near where they connect to tank.

The trick I discovered ,the second time I pulled the tank, is to loop the hose which a lot of folks will tell you. I put a loop right near where the hose connect to the tank. I then used a loose fitting zip tie to secure the loop to the metal that the hose connects to. Unlike the first time around, dropping it back in without kinking the hose was a piece of cake.

You did not mention the year of your car but if you have the 3 port pump, now is a good time to replace it with a new 2-port. They are inexpensive and doing it now will avoid the second tank pull while eliminating the Y-connection also means one less hose to deal with and fewer clamped connections likely to leak.
jim_hoyland
If you have a helper on one end of the tank, you both can adjust the rubber blocks so the tank sits perfect and the hood closes properly. After getting to this point, carefully mark the tank where the rubber block sits.
The next time the tank is pulled, the rubber blocks can be taped to the tank using the Mark's as a guide.
I've been able to drop I the tank back in without help on the first try
EdwardBlume
I put neoprene pads under the gas tank to replace the carpet. You want the tank to sit down appropriately and not hang up because of the rubber. Wiggling it back and forth helps it to sit.
bdstone914
Several sources for the 911 lug nuts in aluminum. Never seen one break.
Only steel ones I know of are open end in yellow.
HansJan
Ok. Finished the installarion of Chriss fuel lines today and reinstalled the tank. Because of the help from all of you it went really easy.

Thanks
Hans Ja
mikesjunk
Blocks, what blocks. Well of course my car doesn't have these so off to see if I can find some. More things for the todo list. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.