Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCR AX In-Car video from my run ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
SirAndy
Here's in-car video from my fastest afternoon run. Unfortunately, the camera is mounted a bit too low, i need to get an extension for the roll-bar mount to get it up higher.

The 1st lap was a 53.1 with the tires still somewhat cold and not gripping as well, the 2nd lap was a 51.2. I'm running on 10" GoodYear R250 slicks.
driving.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsOUzMKooVI

Andyrew
Great Vid Andy!!

I'll put mine here when it uploads. Maybe we'll keep them all in one spot like the images? smile.gif
Bossman
smilie_pokal.gif
wes
Excellent video thanks for sharing!
1stworks
Nice,thanks for sharing.
EdwardBlume
Pretty cool. No chirping. Nice run.
76-914
Cool. Not much shifting, was there? Did I hear something rubbing?
914werke
was it that one or the last that the battery jumped the tray?
JRust
Sweet Run Andy! You are one fast man. Great view really. I need to add a camera like that. Really changes your perspective. Interesting to see yourself as you are driving the coarse driving.gif
6freak
COOL smile.gif
dlkawashima
first.gif aktion035.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 23 2016, 06:35 AM) *
Did I hear something rubbing?

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ May 23 2016, 06:37 AM) *

Yes, if you listen closely you can hear a loud "thumb" right before i get on the main straight for the first time.

That was my battery coming lose and laying on top of the engine for the rest of the run.
wacko.gif
green914
cool! smilie_pokal.gif
76-914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 23 2016, 10:12 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 23 2016, 06:35 AM) *
Did I hear something rubbing?

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ May 23 2016, 06:37 AM) *

Yes, if you listen closely you can hear a loud "thumb" right before i get on the main straight for the first time.

That was my battery coming lose and laying on top of the engine for the rest of the run.
wacko.gif

Crap! OK, now tell us why it came loose so we can avoid a similar situation. Also, was there any collateral damage?
SirAndy
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 23 2016, 11:26 AM) *
Crap! OK, now tell us why it came loose so we can avoid a similar situation. Also, was there any collateral damage?

No damage. I have a redtop optima and i've been using their plastic holddown for years. It felt tight before the run and i did pass tech inspection (the guy did check the battery and it didn't move).

It looks like that the mounting hole for the holddown is about 2mm off and the rounded edge doesn't sit flush against the battery.
So all that is preventing it from moving is the clamping force between the front of the holddown and the battery base which apparently wasn't enough.
idea.gif

Once the battery moves even just 2mm, it'll slide out of the back channel and is free to go wherever it wants to go.
unsure.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 23 2016, 11:40 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 23 2016, 11:26 AM) *

No damage. I have a redtop optima and i've been using their plastic holddown for years. It felt tight before the run and i did pass tech inspection (the guy did check the battery and it didn't move).

It looks like that the mounting hole for the holddown is about 2mm off and the rounded edge doesn't sit flush against the battery.
So all that is preventing it from moving is the clamping force between the front of the holddown and the battery base which apparently wasn't enough.
idea.gif

Once the battery moves even just 2mm, it'll slide out of the back channel and is free to go wherever it wants to go.
unsure.gif

You know, I have actually had that happen now that you mention it. I put a piece of metal in front of the plastic hold down and held it in under the bolt to prevent the hold down from sliding. I think I used a small piece of wood in the beginning.
r_towle
Every time you do that you must really smile knowing you did the right thing going to a 3.6 liter.
Justinp71

Damn your car is fast off the line. Looks like an awesome venue...
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 23 2016, 11:40 AM) *

unsure.gif

That's why I asked McMark to set up a hold-down across the top of the battery for me. I had made one myself, but it was a POS and a major pain to install/remove.

--DD
6freak
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 22 2016, 08:48 PM) *

Here's in-car video from my fastest afternoon run. Unfortunately, the camera is mounted a bit too low, i need to get an extension for the roll-bar mount to get it up higher.

The 1st lap was a 53.1 with the tires still somewhat cold and not gripping as well, the 2nd lap was a 51.2. I'm running on 10" GoodYear R250 slicks.
driving.gif

thats it! im flaring my car and going with 12 inch race tires... av-943.gif you wont beat me then...nice drive n bud
MikeC
timothy_nd28
I'm surprised you did so well while wearing these
Click to view attachment

I bet you could of been in the 40's if you were not wearing those boots biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(6freak @ May 23 2016, 02:32 PM) *
thats it! im flaring my car and going with 12 inch race tires... av-943.gif you wont beat me then...nice drive n bud

I'm just glad you let me win this time ...
beerchug.gif biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ May 23 2016, 02:41 PM) *
I bet you could of been in the 40's if you were not wearing those boots biggrin.gif

You should try it some day, they make stomping on the throttle sooooo much easier ...
shades.gif
BDog
Great job Andy. driving-girl.gif
Randal
Great run Andy and at my favorite track as well. So much fun.

Think about running 5 laps there at the spring or fall enduros.

We need to talk about tires. We can get some serious time off using the best available today, but bring money. smile.gif
whitetwinturbo
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
........feeling the torque!
Heeltoe914
Nice run Indy.. are you running stock gears I was that track just totally set up for a 3rd gear 914 with a 3.6 ??
SirAndy
QUOTE(Heeltoe914 @ May 23 2016, 09:26 PM) *

Nice run Indy.. are you running stock gears I was that track just totally set up for a 3rd gear 914 with a 3.6 ??

Stock 901. The whole track is perfect for 2nd gear except the main straight where i have to up-shift into 3rd. I don't use 1st anymore, i take off in 2nd.
driving.gif
Andyrew
As promised, here is mine. As all can tell, its significantly slower smile.gif

Sorry for the low quality, my movie maker defaulted to low quality dry.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvPYwjVUnOQ
SirAndy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 24 2016, 07:55 PM) *

Nice smooth lines!
smilie_pokal.gif
6freak
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 23 2016, 02:43 PM) *

You should try it some day, they make stomping on the throttle sooooo much easier ...
shades.gif

and they really make knocking the cover off and all the fuss`s out fun to deal with in the dark to dry.gif SOB first and last time i ever had them on in the car
6freak
someone stuck a crazy 360 camera to my car for the life of me i cant remember his name,bearded fella! ,, i think i pushed record, hell all the new gizmos and gadgets i cant figure out...so i dont know if it actually worked ? id like to see it if it did record..it was my first go around ...so please if you have it can you share
thanks
MikeC

yeah 2nd gear Andy all the way except the front strait..i still use first to start rolling
914werke
QUOTE(6freak @ May 26 2016, 09:01 AM) *

someone stuck a crazy 360 camera to my car for the life of me i cant remember his name,bearded fella! ,, i think i pushed record, hell all the new gizmos and gadgets i cant figure out...so i dont know if it actually worked ? id like to see it if it did record..it was my first go around ...so please if you have it can you share
thanks
MikeC

yeah 2nd gear Andy all the way except the front strait..i still use first to start rolling

& MINE. I thought it was Mikey ~? perhaps not. Id really like to see that footage of my run . smile.gif
Rand
The stealth 360 guy needs to step up. You know we all want to see the 360fly footage! Where's it going to be?
Woody
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 22 2016, 10:48 PM) *

driving.gif

Goodyear R250s? how old are they? I wish Goodyear would get back into the autocrossing scene.
Woody
Nice run BTW beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Woody @ May 26 2016, 11:55 AM) *
Goodyear R250s? how old are they? I wish Goodyear would get back into the autocrossing scene.

2 years i think? Are they not making them anymore? I really like those tires.
idea.gif
Woody
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 26 2016, 02:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Woody @ May 26 2016, 11:55 AM) *

2 years i think? Are they not making them anymore? I really like those tires.
idea.gif

No I don't believe so. Not in a 15" wheel anyways. I don't know what you're running thought.
Andyrew
^I agree, I want some smile.gif

I think I have some ~ 5 year old goodyears from Trekkor in my shed but I am sure they are gone gone.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Woody @ May 26 2016, 12:55 PM) *
No I don't believe so. Not in a 15" wheel anyways. I don't know what you're running thought.

Dang, i just checked and they only make the R430 in 15x7, no more R250 ...
sad.gif

76-914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 23 2016, 02:43 PM) *

shades.gif

Once a GOOD pair of boots are broken in you won't even know they're on your feet. I'd wear mine to Church if I could.
SirAndy
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 26 2016, 03:39 PM) *
Once a GOOD pair of boots are broken in you won't even know they're on your feet. I'd wear mine to Church if I could.

Been wearing the same type of boots every day for the last 35 years.

Tried "racing" shoes once and they felt like driving barefoot. Thanks, but no thanks ...
icon8.gif
wndsnd
Fun stuff Andy,

Engine sound good!
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 26 2016, 06:53 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 26 2016, 03:39 PM) *

Been wearing the same type of boots every day for the last 35 years.

Tried "racing" shoes once and they felt like driving barefoot. Thanks, but no thanks ...
icon8.gif

Funny, my feet are too big, I tend to drive my Porsches in bare feet.

Can't get my feet in easily when wearing boots...
Matty900
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 22 2016, 08:48 PM) *

driving.gif

Nice run Andy! driving.gif
Matty900

new_shocked.gif
EdwardBlume
I used wrestling shoes. Better than bare feet, look like boots, can feel the accelerator cable binding on rust in the tunnel.
Andyrew
QUOTE(Matty900 @ May 26 2016, 09:40 PM) *

new_shocked.gif

Thanks! Great pic!
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 27 2016, 07:11 AM) *

QUOTE(Matty900 @ May 26 2016, 09:40 PM) *

new_shocked.gif

Thanks! Great pic!

I believe Andrew's Fiesta ST beat most of the 914s on the day. Technology will trump cool almost every time. Nice drivin' out there!! driving.gif
sixnotfour
I believe Andrew's Fiesta ST beat most of the 914s on the day. Technology will trump cool almost every time. Nice drivin' out there!!

Regards,

ya but it looks stupid lifting its rear tire....front wheel drive icon8.gif
should be no pics ever posted of new cars at an old car event... happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.