Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jeeper John needs a work party! Help get the 6 back on the road
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mikey914
I was talking to John at WCR this last weekend and he mentioned that he has a 6 conversion that's about 90% put together. He was waiting for McMark to find him a slot to get it put together, but that was not in the cards. He's having a harder time working on his car lately due mostly to health issues, and I'd really love to see him be able to enjoy this car instead of being a garage queen indefinitely.

I'd like to see if someone local could help head up a work party to help out one of our own to realize the dream of completing this car. I'm willing to donate whatever I can to help out.

Looks like the engine has a fuel leak it's a 3.2. No leaks with key on but while running (Injection side?).

Back glass needs to be installed - I can donate the butyl and setting blocks.

Interior needs to go back in. Not sure to what extent, but he may need some interior pieces. Sounded like it was mostly complete.

I would do it myself if he was local to me. He's in Antioch.
Mueller
I'll reach out to him, he is only 5 minutes away. I am sure I can get away sometime this week in the evenings or early weekends to help. At home with a sick child today so I am actually getting a chance to work on my own stuff in between checking on her.
EdwardBlume
I can do some of those things and am 30 minutes away. Can't lead it but can help.
Mikey914
Really don't think there will be any heavy lifting here, mostly interior, and hopefully the fuel leak is an obvious easy fix.
SirAndy
I can help out as well, about 30 minutes drive for me ...
driving.gif
PanelBilly
Can someone do a survey of the parts that are needed and report back how we can help out from a distance.
Mueller
If I don't forget, I'll be picking up the seats and new upholstery kit for them tonight.

Any tips or tricks on reupholstering them?

I think he mentioned the kit came from Automobile Atlanta, I'm guessing he bought them before being offered by 914rubber?

/Mike
Mikey914

I think he did but I don't care where you got it I just want to help him get it put back together and if what I have matches anything you need he's welcome to it.
Cairo94507
I live about 40 minutes from Antioch and would like to help out if I can. Though I am not a mechanic, I can follow directions and worked on my own cars once upon a time......

For me it would likely have to be a Saturday. The earlier in the day the better. Heck, I can bring some kind of fattening bakery style goods too.
Jeffs9146
Sorry John,

I would help but I will be unavailable starting this weekend and then going under the knife and unable to do anything for the next 30+ days. I hate surgery!

Jeff

Andyrew
If I can get enough notice say a couple of weeks I would be glad to come by and help!
jcd914
I can help out.
I'm about 1 1/2 hours away but that is not bad.

Thanks for bring this up!!

Jim
r_towle
This is really a great place of people who help, and don't need to take credit.

JEff, hope it all works out, get some books to read...

Rich
rgalla9146
I love to pitch in (and meet some of you ) but the west coast is a real trek from
New Jersey.
ConeDodger
I don't have much time, but if it works, I can help.
cary
On the fuel leak. Look where the 914 rubber fuel hose mates to the 3.2 fuel hose connection. Most conversions have some sort of adapter arrangement. The 3.2 is looking for a threaded connection.

Then the 3.2's are starting to have some fuel line degradation issues. From what I've read it's the cross member behind the engine.
Here's a link.
https://griffiths.com/porsche/engine/porsche-911-fuel-lines/

Wish I was closer ..................
Amphicar770
I'm on the wrong side of the country or I would help. The willingness of so many to help others sure says a lot of good things about this community.

Not 914 related, but here is a story from a few years back that was especially touching.
http://gimundo.com/news/article/the-tyler-...en-with-cancer/
Bossman
I'm a couple of hours out, but always looking for an excuse to hit the road and turn some wrenches. Heck, I think John even has RV parking...
arkitect
John is a good guy, willing to help but for me it would need to be on the weekend. Timing for me would be in a couple weeks minimum.

Whoever coordinates, post time and address, will be glad to help in whatever capacity.

Dave
Mikey914
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 23 2016, 02:09 PM) *

If I can get enough notice say a couple of weeks I would be glad to come by and help!

That's why I posted this with a little lead time I'm sure this can get resolved. 1st need a survey of the project so we can get the list together.
Andyrew
Good point.

John, can you take some pictures of where the project currently is at and a list of items you want accomplished?
Mikey914
Sounded like Mueller was going to do a survey. I talked to McMark and he mentioned that the fuel line Cary mentioned was not replaced, as it was one of his early conversions and now replaces them as a matter eliminating this potential problem.
He also said that it could be fixed by snipping off the hose and using high pressure fuel clamps. Or if we can determine a and just put the factory part in.

Jeffs9146
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 23 2016, 02:29 PM) *

This is really a great place of people who help, and don't need to take credit.

JEff, hope it all works out, get some books to read...

Rich

Thanks Rich,

If it happens after mid July I will be back and help out any way I can!
Mueller
I had to bail on him last night, I had a slight accident at home in my shop while moving my old lathe out of the shop to make room for new stuff.

Luckily I didn't crush myself....broke a bunch of handles and the leadscrew for the cross slide, I was hoping to sell it for about a grand, be lucky to get half that now!

I spoke to John last night and he is going to try to find all the pieces before I make it over there, I am off on Friday and will update what I find.

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Glad your OK Mike! That could have really hurt..
r_towle
Ouch
altitude411
I'm too far away to help but I just wanted to say what a wonderful group of people that are on this forum. Fantastic first.gif beerchug.gif
green914
I am only an hour away. I would like to come and help out too.
arkitect
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 24 2016, 08:57 PM) *

I had to bail on him last night, I had a slight accident at home in my shop while moving my old lathe out of the shop to make room for new stuff.

Luckily I didn't crush myself....broke a bunch of handles and the leadscrew for the cross slide, I was hoping to sell it for about a grand, be lucky to get half that now!

I spoke to John last night and he is going to try to find all the pieces before I make it over there, I am off on Friday and will update what I find.

Click to view attachment

Glad you didn't get hurt. Let me know timing wise for the work party.

Dave
Mikey914
So have we got a parts list yet? I'm ready to ship out whatever I have that can help.
jcd914
No Parts list yet but I stopped by and visited with John Saturday afternoon.
I looked into the fuel leak which is a fuel return hose between the engine and body line. I'll get fuel hose and some clamps before the work day.

Mike Mueller has the seats and the seat cover kits and is going to be working on those. I don't know what that involve or if he'll need or want some help with the seats.

Here are the things I saw and John talked about needing:

Rear window needs to be removed and resealed. Back pad is out already but the roll bar pad and B-pillar pads need to come out. John has a replacement rear roll bar pad. He has the back pad to go back in after the window is sealed. I think all he needs is the butyl tape for the window.

Carpets (both longs, tunnel) need to be glued down and his floor mats don't have grommets and anything to anchor them. Either need to add grommet (if that is possible) or other anchors or glue them down.

Both door panels, pockets, armrests, inner door release/lock handles & window cranks need to be installed. I think John has all those parts. I don't know about hardware such as door panel screws and clips or window cranks.

A couple things I saw that John did not say anything about.
Rear Targa top seal to the rollbar is torn and some of the engine seals are torn or missing.

Like all 914s there are other things that need to be done or John would like done but getting the interior back together and fixing the fuel leak gets him back on the road.

Jim
Mueller
Thanks Jim for the update, I wish you would have called me, I am only 5 minutes away from Johns.

I found some great write ups on reupholstering the seats so I shall be tackling those soon. I needed to some some research 1st.

/Mike
Mikey914
My list so far (let me know if I'm missing anything)
Butyl chord and setting blocks for the rear window -
Set of floor mats
pair of window cranks
jcd914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 5 2016, 08:44 AM) *

Thanks Jim for the update, I wish you would have called me, I am only 5 minutes away from Johns.

I found some great write ups on reupholstering the seats so I shall be tackling those soon. I needed to some some research 1st.

/Mike

I would have called had it crossed my mind.
It was just a short stop while Mary and I were on our way back from visiting our son, daughter in law and granddaughter in Redwood city.

Like I said, the re-upholstery was not something I wanted to try.
I would have been doing research as well.
I cheated on my car and bought the Brown interior that came out of John's car. smile.gif

Jim
jcd914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 5 2016, 08:50 AM) *

My list so far (let me know if I'm missing anything)
Butyl chord and setting blocks for the rear window -
Set of floor mats
pair of window cranks

Mike,
I think that is it so far.

The floor mats John has came from you Mike but they don't have grommets.
Not sure when he bought them, John has been buying parts for this car and the Blue car for a long time. He even said he has duplicates or extras he bought because they were a good deal or he couldn't find the one he had.

Jim

Mikey914
Pretty sure these were the ones James was making for me, before I actually made my own, but I can just as easily send grommets.
To be clear, we are actually talking about the carpet for drivers and passengers, not the floor mats that go on them.
jcd914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 5 2016, 02:09 PM) *

Pretty sure these were the ones James was making for me, before I actually made my own, but I can just as easily send grommets.
To be clear, we are actually talking about the carpet for drivers and passengers, not the floor mats that go on them.

Yes, the carpets for the floors.
I did not look closely at them and I would not know the difference between "James" carpets and 914rubber carpets.
John had said he ordered them from 914rubber.

Does anyone glue down the floor carpets, was that why these had no grommets?

Thanks
Jim
Mikey914
The only place glue would be require on the new carpets are on the drivers side long at the ebrake. I will send the grommets that can be added.
We took on the carpet when we had delivery issues with our previous vendor. That's when we started making upgrades to the product. The grommets can be added by punching. I can send a ghetto die to cut them for you.
Mueller
John told me his carpets slide/move too much and too easily, they are an accident waiting to happen.
jeeperjohn56
Hey everyone I didn't know that this post was up, this is what's up,Jim and Mike have started on a couple of things. Jim found out was it is leaking fuel and is going to look into parts for that Mike is tackling the seats. What needs to be done now is rear window needs reseal before back pad go's back in sail panels need replacing, new seals on target edge, window door seal ,I have the new door panel's with new vinyl, I think I know location of window cranks,the screws might be another thing,I have new rear shocks and springs that also needs to go on.that is the best I can think of, weekend works for me.I will bar-b-que and beers,and bring your swim trucks I have a built in pool. If they is any questions just email me and will give you my address and phone number. Thanks Mark for doing this.John.
Andyrew
Pool? I may just bring Jerika!

Let us know what date works for you, a couple weeks in advance would be great smile.gif
jeeperjohn56
Going to order some seals and other parts before I make a date for work party, will probably be some where towards the end of the month will pick a date later.
housepumpinpc
Hey guys! Have some window cranks and door latches(interior) if needed. No screws unfortunately. I can't physically help there being in Chicago but reading this, I see the comradery. Just good to read... PM me the address and I'll send em.
green914
icon_bump.gif
Mueller
Started to work on the seats.

Cover removed on one of them.

Anyone make new seat cushion support boards?

I started to make one, but the more I think about it it is the wrong material (pressed board material)

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Mikey914
Got some boards that we started to make. I will forward to you. PM me your address.
mark
Mueller
Thanks,

Any recommendations on the thread to use for the above cushion?
iankarr
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 2 2016, 04:43 PM) *

Thanks,

Any recommendations on the thread to use for the above cushion?

Kite string should work well. It's not exactly the same thickness as OEM, but has the strength needed.

https://www.amazon.com/feet-Winding-Nylon-S...ds=Nylon+string

Reupholstering the cushion is pretty easy. An air-powered stapler is a big help as you can anchor the material quickly once it's pulled taught. Don't pull too tight though. Flip it over frequently as you go to make sure it's even.

The bolsters are more difficult, but not too bad. The hardest part is getting the headrest area properly "filled out." You'll probably need some new foam and poly fill. I used this thread for the process...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=71844

Wish I were closer to help out. This is a great community!
shoguneagle
I have some extra parts if they can be used: new 914-6 throttle cable, used clutch cable (in my car for several years but never driven; converted to hydraulic clutch), etc. Just let me know where else I can help.

Steve
Mueller
Started on the main seat parts. Are the rusted parts shown below available new?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.