Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to verify crankcase oil level on a /6?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I also posted this on pp however I usually get better responses here.

I recently rebuilt my 2.7l. I have the engine on a test stand. The oil tank is mounted at approximately the same level as it would be in the car. I am questioning the actual oil level in my crankcase.

I put 12qts in the tank. I cranked the engine without ignition to get the oil pressure up. The dipstick doesn't show any oil so I put a couple more quarts in and it still doesn't show on the dipstick. I suspect there is actually too much oil because I can see a little bit of standing oil in the cylinders with a scope. It is not oil from assembly cause it was a different color.

I am using a used 911 oil tank from an unknown engine.

Normally I would just wonder if my dipstick was just not correct however since the setup is on a test stand, I wonder if something else is going on and I would like to verify the oil level in the case before starting the engine. How can I do that?
Cairo94507
I can't recall what a stock 6 holds at this point, but I guarantee you it is not 14 quarts. I do not believe it is even 12 quarts. In the back of my mind I am thinking 10.5, but could be wrong.
tornik550
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 23 2016, 10:55 PM) *

I can't recall what a stock 6 holds at this point, but I guarantee you it is not 14 quarts. I do not believe it is even 12 quarts. In the back of my mind I am thinking 10.5, but could be wrong.

I believe that is correct. It clearly seems to be too much oil. That's why I am confused as to why it is not showing on the dipstick. Either there's a problem with my dipstick or for some reason too much oil is in the crankcase.
r_towle
Is the oil hot?
It won't show on the stick till it's all hot
jcd914
I think 14 qts will show even cold.

The concern I would have is how did all the oil get from the tank to the engine case so fast? The oil would have to flow thru the oil pump to get into the crankcase and it should take several days (or longer) for several quarts to flow in.
If you are seeing oil in the cylinders, there is too much oil in the crankcase.

Because it is a dry sump engine, it actually needs very little oil in the tank (5qts?) to fill the oil gallies, cooler and crank up oil pressure (even run the engine). The 8-12 qts is to provide thermal capacity for extended running and load.

Did you get any oil pressure while cranking?
Was the oil pump you installed new or used?
Did you have the oil pressure circuit modification done to the case?
Might check the oil pressure relief valve to make sure it sits all the way in and seals normally.

Jim
r_towle
QUOTE(jcd914 @ May 23 2016, 11:24 PM) *

I think 14 qts will show even cold.

The concern I would have is how did all the oil get from the tank to the engine case so fast? The oil would have to flow thru the oil pump to get into the crankcase and it should take several days (or longer) for several quarts to flow in.
If you are seeing oil in the cylinders, there is too much oil in the crankcase.

Because it is a dry sump engine, it actually needs very little oil in the tank (5qts?) to fill the oil gallies, cooler and crank up oil pressure (even run the engine). The 8-12 qts is to provide thermal capacity for extended running and load.

Did you get any oil pressure while cranking?
Was the oil pump you installed new or used?
Did you have the oil pressure circuit modification done to the case?
Might check the oil pressure relief valve to make sure it sits all the way in and seals normally.

Jim

agree.gif

I will add that my 911 shows nearly empty till The oil is hot.
The correct way to check the oil is when it's hot, running, at idle.
A first for me, but it does make a difference .
wndsrfr
QUOTE(tornik550 @ May 23 2016, 07:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 23 2016, 10:55 PM) *

I believe that is correct. It clearly seems to be too much oil. That's why I am confused as to why it is not showing on the dipstick. Either there's a problem with my dipstick or for some reason too much oil is in the crankcase.

OK... It's a dry sump setup. What happens is that the oil slowly seeps down into the crank case when the engine is off, then it's pumped back into the tank after startup. So, the crankcase is way overfilled on a cold startup. The only correct measurement is with the engine running and the oil hot. With engine running and the oil cold, it'll just barely wet the bottom 1/4 inch of the dipstick. The oil expands as it heats up and then it comes up to the dimple on the dipstick. I'm guessing that a bench setup with engine, stock oil cooler & tank with filter holds about 9 maybe 10 quarts. No harm in starting out with 8 and then add whats needed to get the right level after it heats up.
mepstein
Checking engine oil level when cold. The classic 911/914-6 mistake.
Even one of our techs ( who REALLY should have known better) did it last year.
r_towle
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 23 2016, 11:50 PM) *

Checking is one thing, filling till it's right on the stick.....while cold...
That is a whole nuther special smoke show...

Btdt
mepstein
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 24 2016, 12:09 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 23 2016, 11:50 PM) *

Checking is one thing, filling till it's right on the stick.....while cold...
That is a whole nuther special smoke show...

Btdt

Well he checked it, then filled it, then soaked the brand new air filter with oil...then cranked it ....again, he should have known better. dry.gif
He doesn't work for us anymore.
6freak
QUOTE(tornik550 @ May 23 2016, 07:52 PM) *

I recently rebuilt my 2.7l. I have the engine on a test stand. The oil tank is mounted at approximately the same level as it would be in the car. I am questioning the actual oil level in my crankcase.

I put 12qts in the tank. I cranked the engine without ignition to get the oil pressure up. The dipstick doesn't show any oil so I put a couple more quarts in and it still doesn't show on the dipstick. I suspect there is actually too much oil because I can see a little bit of standing oil in the cylinders with a scope. It is not oil from assembly cause it was a different color.

Normally I would just wonder if my dipstick was just not correct however since the setup is on a test stand, I wonder if something else is going on and I would like to verify the oil level in the case before starting the engine. How can I do that?

Oil console upside down.
6freak

Oil console on the tank is not right
6freak

6freak
QUOTE(6freak @ May 24 2016, 05:55 AM) *

damn triple reply off the first cell phone post .....i think its the oil console on the tank is 180 out ,,like turn it over...good luck
MikeC
tornik550
I did have the oil pressure circuit modification done by ollies. The oil pump was new. I was able to get about 23 lbs of oil pressure by cranking the starter for a little (no ignition or fuel hooked up).

As far as the oil in the cylinders goes, I had cranked the engine a few times to make sure I could get appropriate oil pressure- then I went on vacation so the engine sat for a couple weeks. When I returned, that is when I found the standing oil.

I think that I was relying on the dipstick too much. I am thinking that I just need to drain the oil as though I was going to change the oil, then put about 6-8 qts back in, run the engine then check the dipstick.

What is the oil console? I tried to follow the info that I found in a different post regarding relative height of the oil tank. I supposed there could be something wrong with the height of the tank.
6freak
QUOTE(tornik550 @ May 24 2016, 06:03 AM) *

I did have the oil pressure circuit modification done by ollies. The oil pump was new. I was able to get about 23 lbs of oil pressure by cranking the starter for a little (no ignition or fuel hooked up).

As far as the oil in the cylinders goes, I had cranked the engine a few times to make sure I could get appropriate oil pressure- then I went on vacation so the engine sat for a couple weeks. When I returned, that is when I found the standing oil.

I think that I was relying on the dipstick too much. I am thinking that I just need to drain the oil as though I was going to change the oil, then put about 6-8 qts back in, run the engine then check the dipstick.

What is the oil console? I tried to follow the info that I found in a different post regarding relative height of the oil tank. I supposed there could be something wrong with the height of the tank.

its what the filter screws onto..sounds like its upside down and your just filling the motor and its not returning to the tank. good luck
smile.gif
tornik550
QUOTE(6freak @ May 24 2016, 09:03 AM) *

damn triple reply off the first cell phone post .....i think its the oil console on the tank is 180 out ,,like turn it over...good luck
MikeC

I should have mentioned this- I am actually using a 911 oil tank which has the oil filler fixed. So I do not think that I could have it installed 180 off- if I understand correctly.
tornik550
QUOTE(6freak @ May 24 2016, 09:43 AM) *

QUOTE(tornik550 @ May 24 2016, 06:03 AM) *

its what the filter screws onto..sounds like its upside down and your just filling the motor and its not returning to the tank. good luck
smile.gif

Oh- I see. Unfortunately the tank I have has a fixed console. It is a 911 tank. I believe it is that way from the factory on my tank.

When I get home tonight, I will crank the engine and remove the return pipe from the cooler and see if I am getting flow through (and make a big mess biggrin.gif )
McMark
I'm not sure this was posted clearly.

You check a 911 engine while it's running.
The engine must be running while you're checking the oil.
You cannot check the oil with the engine off.

biggrin.gif

If you're just test firing the motor, drain the oil again. Put in half of what you take out (should be 5-6 quarts based on your description).
jfort
over-filling a 911 or 6 is thrilling, too. You want to see smoke and have a mess to clean up? on a typical oil change, 9 quarts will do, then get hot and bring it up with maybe a quart or 1 1/2 quarts.
worn
QUOTE(tornik550 @ May 23 2016, 06:52 PM) *

With my 911 the first start of the year was always smoky. The oil seeps out of the tank and into the sump. It is really only a dry sump if the scavenge pump is running. You can get some check valves, but I would rather not. At any rate once the thing is running the scavenge pump sends any extra oil into the tank, the fire in the cylinders burns off what was past the rings and you get a nice level in the tank at idle.

At least that is how I understand it. Since I fabled the tank and use a 911 dipstick, I am not as precise as I would want. I can find oil on my dipstick before starting but it comes up farther once running.
r_towle
QUOTE(McMark @ May 24 2016, 10:30 AM) *

biggrin.gif

agree.gif bootyshake.gif
6freak
QUOTE(McMark @ May 24 2016, 10:30 AM) *

biggrin.gif

agree.gif bootyshake.gif
I agree too! but you dont wanna start it with out the proper amount or real close and flow
so whos gonna ask him how long his dip stick is lol-2.gif ...
biggrin.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(6freak @ May 25 2016, 01:03 AM) *

MikeC

On the genuine tank they only fit one way,is it different on the aftermarket ones?
mskala
QUOTE(porschetub @ May 24 2016, 04:09 PM) *

On the genuine tank they only fit one way,is it different on the aftermarket ones?

Not true, the original tank and console have 3 bolts, you have a 33.3% chance of
getting it on correctly if you don't pay attention.
6freak
QUOTE(porschetub @ May 24 2016, 01:09 PM) *

MikeC

on original 6 tanks you can put the console on upside down.Im guessing 911s as well ,(after market i have no idea) .. and will block oil flow back to the tank and blow the seal and maybe the filter off

drain it all and start with 9qrts

just thinking outloud what if your not creating enough pressure to overcome the spring behind the detent ball, there for oils not getting back to the tank....how you building pressure?

McMark
QUOTE(6freak @ May 24 2016, 01:06 PM) *

but you dont wanna start it with out the proper amount or real close
5 quarts minimum is safe. Then be smart/safe and watch the oil light when you first fire it up.
jcd914
QUOTE(6freak @ May 24 2016, 01:54 PM) *

MikeC

on original 6 tanks you can put the console on upside down.Im guessing 911s as well ,(after market i have no idea) .. and will block oil flow back to the tank and blow the seal and maybe the filter off

just thinking outloud what if your not creating enough pressure to overcome the spring behind the detent ball, there for oils not getting back to the tank....how you building pressure?

Late 911 tanks (SC/Carrera) the oil filter mounting is part of the tank, not removable.

Earlier tanks use a console like the 914/6 (probably the same part)

Jim
raynekat
QUOTE(mskala @ May 24 2016, 01:51 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ May 24 2016, 04:09 PM) *

Not true, the original tank and console have 3 bolts, you have a 33.3% chance of
getting it on correctly if you don't pay attention.

But only one way for the one oil flow path to line up with the tank and console.
wndsnd
QUOTE(6freak @ May 24 2016, 04:54 PM) *

MikeC

All true, and if you are really unlucky, your oil pump will jamb the gears and then the intermediate shaft will shear. Then you will have to tear it all down and start again. Ask me how I know........ Get that console on right.....

tornik550
I have a late model 911 tank that does not have a console.

I drained the tank and there was roughly 5 qts. I also drained the engine and there was a lot of oil there! After everything was drained as though I was changing the oil, I then filled the oil tank back up with about 5 qts. I plan on just running it like that and then checking the oil level when the engine is hot.
ConeDodger
WCR participants got to see first hand what happens when you overfill. I paid my daughter's friend to prep the car for the trip to Medford. When I returned on Sunday, I asked him, "did you check the oil?" He said, "yes, it was two quarts low." sad.gif

Pretty much every time I hit the gas hard, I blew a cloud of thick oil smoke. blink.gif

I haven't told Carlo yet. He's kind of sensitive... cheer.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 24 2016, 07:58 PM) *

WCR participants got to see first hand what happens when you overfill. I paid my daughter's friend to prep the car for the trip to Medford. When I returned on Sunday, I asked him, "did you check the oil?" He said, "yes, it was two quarts low." sad.gif

Pretty much every time I hit the gas hard, I blew a cloud of thick oil smoke. blink.gif

I haven't told Carlo yet. He's kind of sensitive... cheer.gif

Carlo needs to learn. slap.gif slap.gif slap.gif slap.gif
porschetub
Oh well guess I better recheck my console position,buggered if I know why?,my console is off a 75 911 and my tank is factory 914/6,it WILL NOT fit in 3 positions...the holes only allow it to go in one place as far as I remember.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.