Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Im almost sure Im going to go Corvair...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ssuperflyoldguy
Im almost sure Im going to go Corvair 140 swap in a 914... Have done a bunch of searching on here and have to make some decisions. Big fan of Dr Evil, maybe he'll chime in. I like buses too...

Going Corvair wont be difficult for me, had a dozen of them in High School, my buddy I went to college with still considers a Corvair as a must have car (hmmm, Yenko Stinger or 911?) and I have to say it's been TOUGH looking thru all the Corvair Forums and not going on Craigslist to buy one to build a Yenko tribute... Going to restart my clothing business & double up on the Rogaine.

So I started to look into freshening the 2.0 I have but without the bus heads and a set of awesome Type4 heads ($$) - Type4 prices were scaring me, 6 cyl Porsche $ scares me. So the easiest cheapest way of HP without cutting up a good car is to go Corvair. I have one final Porsche 6 I'm running down so waiting...

But: If anyone has a line on any Corvair reverse rotation stuff, parts, complete engines I'd consider helping you get rid of it. Best case scenario is to find one already built up & just freshen it up - I'll be doing the Fuel Injection kit too. 140 heads, reverse cam & distributer gear. Spoken to Starr Cooke - neat guy but started to send me to the "best" money can buy right off. He's prob right though, I should build a really nice engine if I'm going to do it, I'm thinking a Corvair motor is many $ away from taxing the standard 914 gearbox.
rick 918-S
Not sure you saw this car. Irv is not real active on the forum lately but this is a Corvair conversion.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=132215&hl=
stugray
I have no idea how a fairly rare component could possibly be cheaper than a suby swap.

BTW There is a Yenko in my vintage racing club.
The guy HATES it when you say "Nice Corvair"
JRust
QUOTE(stugray @ May 24 2016, 05:54 AM) *

I have no idea how a fairly rare component could possibly be cheaper than a suby swap.

I am a little biased having one. Still the best bang for the buck is a suby swap. My normally aspirated 2.5 dyno'd at 158 to the wheels. It does have performance heads & cams. Still I think you could get 130-140 with just a stock motor. There is no cutting you need to do that isn't reversible.I have 2 holes for my radiator lines in the front trunk. Plus the exit holes in the fenders for radiator air flow. Also one cut in the rear trunk. Which isn't even necessary if you flip the intake. All of which could be replaced should I go back to stock at any point. I won't do that because the suby swap is so great to drive. I run the suby tranny too. Nice short precise shifting plus 60 HP over the stock 2.0 motor confused24.gif .

If your going to go with a non Porsche motor. Why go with a motor so old & limited? I know you can build a sweet corvair motor & it will still be air-cooled. I had a corvair conversion & looked into it when I puled the motor. Still ran but leaked oil. Setup never went back into the car. It's also much heavier than my suby setup. It's your car so do what you think best. Suby swap is still your best bang for your buck.
Mueller
QUOTE(stugray @ May 24 2016, 05:54 AM) *

BTW There is a Yenko in my vintage racing club.
The guy HATES it when you say "Nice Corvair"

Why, it is still a Corvair? Friend of a friend has a Yenko Nova, pretty cool car. It is still a Nova smile.gif

Back on topic....

Unless you get some killer deals I think there will be some false economy going this route.

The adapter and associated flywheel bits won't be cheap, if you decide to give up on the project or sell it later on you are talking a really, really small group of people that would be interested in a Corvair swap.

Couldn't you run it the normal direction and use a 911 gearbox instead? (can you swap the ring gear over on a 914 transmission?)

Chris H.
Wow, how did I miss that Corvair build? I recognize that car...had a 2270 in it for a while. Guy from Michigan I think.

Yenko Nova....RARE one!
ssuperflyoldguy
Old yes, very familiar w Corvair. Chevy V8 over Suby for me if I was considering cutting, 6 cylinder, air cooled & 50% to 100% more power than anything Type 4 can do $ wise. Just going to do a warmed up (mostly heads) reverse 140 w one of the easier Corvair Fuel Injection setups. Engine design is old but still has crank, pistons right? While a 914 is scoffed by the 911 crowd, now the Corvair is scoffed by the 914 crowd... Mission accomplished....

I have a GT rat that I'll be cutting later, needing a stock appearing driver first. Don't need any help getting talked out of, been reading all the hotly discussed LS, Vortec, 4.8 vs 5.3, Suby 4 or 6 vitriol etc. One of the reasons I don't participate on some forums - just need suggestions on doing Corvair better.

I'm familiar w Irv's, still cant believe how much metal work those GT fenders were. I think those were AA? I need to know so I can stay away from that vendor. I do like swapping to a Boxter S trans tho - slippery slope..... If anyone has a favorite Corvair thread, lemme know...
Mueller
I'm not anti-Corvair motor, I looked into them a bit, I love the aircooled aspect of them but I don't know enough about them and not too keen on the head design with 2 inlets for 3 cylinders.

tomrev
I had around 20 Corvairs back in my youth, and began my Porsche days by sticking a 140 into a 356A that I rescued from a field. You do know that the 140 probably has at best 120HP, and is a brick. The head/manifold design is not one for breathing; I think it would be easier, less $$ to stay with a type-4, or as noted, go Subie, or Honda. Crown made the adapter stuff, but that was 40-50 years ago.
r_towle
From what I recall, there is a corvair expert and junkyard in the Midwest.
Seems like the right setup would be fun to drive.

Good luck with the build.
Rand
I get the idea of nostalgia. But if you go to the effort of an engine swap, why go this way when you can get so much more reward with a different choice?
NeunEinVier
Guy I know has a 200+ HP Subie mill in his. He has plenty of Mustang GT kill tales.
gandalf_025
Wow, So many Haters.

I've owned quite a few Corvair Turbo's and really like them.
Still have a turbo engine and a 1966 posi transaxle in my cellar
rusting away..

Cut the case and add VW pistons and cylinders gets you
to 3.1 liters and machine off the intake manifolds and weld
on adapters for Webers or Zeniths..

Like this one supposedly over 300 HP..

Click to view attachment
r_towle
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ May 24 2016, 06:54 PM) *

rusting away..

idea.gif

Really???
Mueller
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ May 24 2016, 03:54 PM) *

Wow, So many Haters.

rusting away..

Click to view attachment

What does it cost to build something like that?

I'd guess one could buy pictons and cylinders from AA Performance pretty cheap.

ssuperflyoldguy,

get 2 motors, give me one and I'll do all your machining for free smile.gif

r_towle
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 24 2016, 07:17 PM) *

Wow, So many Haters.

rusting away..

Click to view attachment

ssuperflyoldguy,

Lol
gandalf_025
Dr. Evil built a big bore engine a few years back for his
VW Bus.
Think he was going to try some sort of F.I.
Maybe based on some CIS parts ??
You could PM him and ask

Experimental Aircraft guys were the main market for
the big bore kits I think..
The 3 barrel carb adapter plates have been around a long time..

I'd suspect none of it is cheap..

link to big bore

http://www.n56ml.com/corvair/3100.html

Pict. of carb adapters and heads machined for them..

Click to view attachment

gandalf_025
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 24 2016, 07:07 PM) *

rusting away..

idea.gif

Really???

Rich: Do you really need more stuff ????
Especially Corvair stuff sitting for 30 years ?
r_towle
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ May 24 2016, 07:38 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 24 2016, 07:07 PM) *

rusting away..

idea.gif

Really???

Rich: Do you really need more stuff ????
Especially Corvair stuff sitting for 30 years ?

I don't know, do you?
ssuperflyoldguy
Mueller - you're on! Friends for life! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTGayn3Y800 Now to find some 65 and later 110/140's - going to have to dig a bit no doubt but they are out there. Don't need to put VW stuff in them, all parts available.

There's a reverse rotation one out there with triple throat Zenith's for $4500 and the Porsche shroud is a $1500 option on top of a $5k engine - cutting for a Subi seems more attractive - too much headwork on them and maybe not very streetable anymore. Too rich for my blood and I just want stock (ish) heads so the twin throttle body FI can bolt right up. Ebay leads to Starr Cooke - apparently one of the elite Corvair engine royalty. The airplane nod reminds me that there is a Type4 airplane powerplant out in my storage area that I will see what kind of heads that are on it and if parts can be reused in a car. Hmmm- Just a ride past Mueller's house and into The Delta.

QUOTE(Mueller @ May 24 2016, 04:17 PM) *

Wow, So many Haters.

rusting away..

Click to view attachment

ssuperflyoldguy,

Rand

Wow, So many Haters.

Questioning an inefficient powerplant isn't hating. People have pointed out some better options where the same work nets more, that's all. But after that, the gang around here will be supportive. Gotta do what turns you on. Definitely has some cool factor, but only because it's air-cooled.
JRust
QUOTE(ssuperflyoldguy @ May 24 2016, 06:06 PM) *

Mueller - you're on! Friends for life! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTGayn3Y800 Now to find some 65 and later 110/140's - going to have to dig a bit no doubt but they are out there. Don't need to put VW stuff in them, all parts available.

There's a reverse rotation one out there with triple throat Zenith's for $4500 and the Porsche shroud is a $1500 option on top of a $5k engine - cutting for a Subi seems more attractive - too much headwork on them and maybe not very streetable anymore. Too rich for my blood and I just want stock (ish) heads so the twin throttle body FI can bolt right up. Ebay leads to Starr Cooke - apparently one of the elite Corvair engine royalty. The airplane nod reminds me that there is a Type4 airplane powerplant out in my storage area that I will see what kind of heads that are on it and if parts can be reused in a car. Hmmm- Just a ride past Mueller's house and into The Delta.

Like I said I had a reverse rotation 140 in a car I bought. Had some funky dual weber setup. The welds on the intake were atrocious. At least with my opinion I have had both. I sold the corvair motor & have never looked back. I looked into building the motor to the 3.1. It would be unique in a 914 for sure. You can build a sweet Corvair motor. Just building it as your finding won't be cheap. It can certainly be done. Kudos to you if you go that route & do it. As I said before. It is your car. Do what you want. I am doing a WRX turbo swap in mine coming soon. Nice thing with the suby is upgrading the motor is much easier. Anyway I wish you the best whatever route you go. I will be watching to see. Love seeing different build threads. No matter the drivetrain
Mueller
Aircraft guy myself...sorta...A&P license, 1st motor I rebuilt was a Lycoming 360..

....a 361 cubic inch 4 banger!

Ever notice how the Boxster engine crankshaft case looks a little like the Corvair motor case? hmmmm wonder if we can "convert" a Boxter'ish motor to air-cooled?

okay, time for bed, I am talking goofy now, hahaha

Click to view attachment
pic borrowed from Pelican!
Dave_Darling
If you don't want to run the Corvair engine backwards, you could always just flip the R&P in the 914 gearbox. It probably won't last as long as running it the "correct" direction (turning the shafts the other way will change the side loads on bearings and such) but I bet it would last a while. And it would be easier...

--DD
veekry9
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...15842&st=99

Click to view attachment
Ahh,fuel injection,cheaply.

Click to view attachment
Bonneville piston and rod combo,Methanol.Not so cheep.

http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewtopi...=165&t=5836

Karl Schmidt, Metallschmelzwerk KG;(Metal Melting Work)
früher(earlier) Karl Schmidt, Metallschmelzwerk GmbH (HRA 9462)
The diecasting moldmaker for the Corvair cylinder heads,1958.

"With the plant being constructed and the Corvair being designed, the next problem was finding equipment
that could mold the engine in an effective manner using aluminum casting techniques.
For this, Chevy went to Germany in 1958, searching for a good method. They went to the Neckarsulm firm
who were making Porsche engines. Being more impressed with that method versus the method that VW was using
and one not known in the US, they struck a deal to use their technology.
Chevy purchased 24 casting machines from the German firm along with their tech support to train and operate.
These began to arrive in 1959. With molten aluminum being poured the first Corvair engine head was created.
The first production parts for the Corvair were made in April, 1959."
http://hubpages.com/autos/The-Making-of-th...-Corvair-Engine

https://www.google.ca/search?q=corvair+engi...liIWLPq_8juM%3A

Not so different after all,knowing the heads were diecast in German diecasting machines,so it's ok.
biggrin.gif
/
The work to create a set of heads to mimic the latest big squish designs is large,much welding and grinding.
/
http://www.americanflat6.com/products/thom...piredheads.html
/
More interesting:
https://books.google.ca/books?id=YqDYSGDj-B...ing&f=false
smile.gif
/
TJB/914
Corvair powered 356 at a recent outing a few years ago. The old guy was very proud of his work. smilie_pokal.gif

Tom
veekry9
I do like the 'Porsche-Vair',many purist wigs were flipped.
Remote electric fuel and oil pressure sending units is preferable to in car lines.
The oil lines trapping the V-belt makes the prospect of a repair more hassle.
Funny thing,I don't care for the blue/red anodized look,wishing a more contemporary style.
Turns heads everywhere it goes,quickly,automatically.
Can't make out the carb setup he's using,4 single throats.Vacuum staged on 2 carbs.(Stock-Rochester H)
biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment

http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Day-You-Genera...BSYRGZ08T76VFGN

http://www.streetmusclemag.com/news/classi...che-transplant/
Apparently,the wind blows both ways.Should have made it a mid.
biggrin.gif
/
TJB/914
Covair Motor lovers stirthepot.gif

FYI: MI has a local Corvair Motor builder that built & knows how to reverse rotation Corvair motors. Chris Braden owner @ Munk's Motors is a good guy with past Covair builds in his VW Bus. I am sure if you call Chris he will offer advice, etc.
BTW: Chris does 914's, VW's, VW-Bus's, 911's & all German stuff, etc.

Tom--Just helping out & no other interest. bye1.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(veekry9 @ May 28 2016, 09:49 AM) *

I do like the 'Porsche-Vair',many purist wigs were flipped.
Remote electric fuel and oil pressure sending units is preferable to in car lines.
The oil lines trapping the V-belt makes the prospect of a repair more hassle.
Funny thing,I don't care for the blue/red anodized look,wishing a more contemporary style.
Turns heads everywhere it goes,quickly,automatically.
Can't make out the carb setup he's using,4 single throats.Vacuum staged on 2 carbs.
biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment

http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Day-You-Genera...BSYRGZ08T76VFGN

http://www.streetmusclemag.com/news/classi...che-transplant/
Apparently,the wind blows both ways.Should have made it a mid.
biggrin.gif
/

I've seen that Corvair with the 3.6 in person at a Nor Cal Vintage VW and Porsche Treffen show a few years ago, they didn't want to let him in from what I heard, I'm guess he told them it had a 3.6 in it and they didn't know what the hell that was!

Funny to see VW people being snobs, hahaha
veekry9
Not fair,putting a Porsche engine into an American taildragger.
biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
(Weber IDA3C) manifold,welded,for more power.
happy11.gif
3.1L+
Things you might have to do,if you choose to do Corvair,is the undamaging of the boxer six from NY.
A 50/50 mix of acetone/auto-trans fluid(rustbuster).Frozen piston rings must be soaked Vertically,for a week.
http://www.loumash.com/GS/2010/weber.html
How many VW 94mm PnC's would you like sir?I'll take 12,thankyou.
http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,340034,340205
Supercooling of the blowdown system would allow modern turbo setups and efi.
The amount of air the stock fan can push through is a matter of aerodynamics.
Air temperature can be dropped substantially by adiabatic means,(H20 fogging).
Ah,the trek into the uncharted waters of beryllium copper head rings and fourbar pressure.
biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Massena,+N...74.891865?hl=en
biggrin.gif
The W's,WhatWhereWhenWhy,and Women.
driving-girl.gif Faster,she said.
/
tomrev
I ended up using the 180HP Corvair turbo bits on the 140HP engine I'd put in my 356A, (cuz I got it without any engine, abandoned in a field for 20 years). With the high comp. 140 engine, it had around 240HP, and would go like stink for a short bit, and then a slow, syncro saving shift, all boost gone, and start over again. The extra weight in back made the handling pretty unsettling, and the first time I met a guy who had a 356, he almost burst into tears when he heard what I had for my power plant. But it was an intro into Porsche's, and a fun project that started the endless line of "this will be the one I keep till I'm 90!"
ssuperflyoldguy
Going to have to come clean here - have a couple engine swaps happening here -

Classic Mini - has a 3 cyl Suzuki (Chevy Sprint) turbo & 5 spd swap - has FI, 70hp but 100 ftlbs torque. Went real nice before I parked it, clapped out, customized and needs to be moved back towards more stock looking.
Classic Mini build in process- Have a B-Series Honda subframe, going to go D series instead - B is too much and D series is smaller. In a small car, 130hp is fine.
Have a few Mini's if anyone is into trading for a similar 914 project.

Always wanted to build my own FI - Corvair was good place to start as it had carbs and never came w FI.. And real "simple" FI systems exist so that's the way I want to go. Even harder to find Corvair 140 engines than 2.0 914 heads apparently. Guess I'm not trawling the right places.

Now that I've been hearing about a few 356's with Corvair engines, guess what I want to look into for my 912? One good reverse rotation fuel inject 140 mule to get things moving
r_towle
Dig deeper, I heard of a corvair junkyard and horde in the Midwest....
Must be a few corvair clubs online??
ssuperflyoldguy
The more I dig, the more 914 projects turn up. Going to have to join a Corvair forum next....
tomrev
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 28 2016, 08:13 PM) *

Dig deeper, I heard of a corvair junkyard and horde in the Midwest....
Must be a few corvair clubs online??

Look for "CORSA" Corvair Club of America. Used to be tons of engine bits out there, with the cars, like 914's, being so prone to rust.
veekry9
Click to view attachment
Cooling of the more performance Corvair boxer six is depicted graphically.(Corvair)

The addition of turbos of a 21st century vintage makes for larger intercoolers for both intake and heat dissipation.
Additional cooling fin area is described in the book,oil pump enhancement,mag-fan mods,and much more.

Click to view attachment
Nitron Inc's 88.3mm sleeved aluminum cylinders.

A fatbook builder desirous of a lighter Corvair boxer could include components from these vendors.
http://www.flycorvair.com/hangar0407.html
http://www.hainesengineering.com/rhaines/a...aft/corvair.htm
http://flywithspa.com/product/corvairbilletcrank/
http://lnengineering.com/products.html
http://www.pmocarb.com/products.htm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0N0ayYOui8
http://www.corvair-efi.com/
biggrin.gif happy11.gif
So,yes,it is possible to build a no holds barred TT/IC/EFI Corvair stroker,if you can cool and keep the pressure inside.
The iron VW cylinders and forged pistons,is a minimalist approach with the stock,tho nitrided crank.Aftermarket rods are a prerequisite.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GrasshutPerformance/videos
smile.gif
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBotoZ_Ev10
https://www.youtube.com/user/davemotohead1/videos
Some entertainment to go along with the tank machine.
http://www.engineswapdepot.com/?p=8886
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YltmTzMAu48
http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/CorvAIRCRAFT/EngineID.htm
/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.