Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Grinds in gear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
catsltd
The car shifted great until now.

I took car out for a drive,and before I left the garage I noticed lots of vibration.
Felt like all kinds of things were letting loose.

Seemed like it corrected it self,till I came to a light.
Car would not shift into first without a complete grind,same for reverse.
Car started to make lots of vibration again,felt like the whole car was going to shake apart.

Got the car home by driving in 2nd gear.
Question is my clutch gone,sure seems like it,but I am a rookie and need some help.

Clutch goes to the floor and as I release it,it does Not engage until its all the way released.
Help.
r_towle
Probably.

Get underneath look up into the bell housing using the little hole in the bottom.
If the clutch had a failure, you will see what looks like a rats nest of clutch material.

Rich
toolguy
sounds like the clutch disc facing material may have broken off a piece and the clutch is dragging. .
catsltd
QUOTE(toolguy @ May 24 2016, 08:43 PM) *

sounds like the clutch disc facing material may have broken off a piece and the clutch is dragging. .

100.000 miles.
I think both you guys are right.Sure feels like its toast.

My concern is 650 dollars for clutch replacement kits,is not in my budget,any suggestions.Got a feeling Im in for a big job.

But its been 1 day since I fixed my oil leaks,timing,and valve adjustment so I guess I should have know it would not last.Seems 1 day driving,I week work.
Anyway Appreciate the suggestions.
BeemerSteve
May I suggest looking for a complete kit minus the flywheel unless that is toast on ebay. I found mine there and through a post here confirmed pulling the transmission out only and supporting the engine is the way to go. I paid $286.00 for the throw out bearing, pressure plate and clutch disc then down the road motors you'll go!
r_towle
Just buy the clutch disk if you are short on funds.
It's not a requirement to replace everything, no matter what anyone tells you.

My son burned up all my spare clutch disks....it's a couple of hours to get it done.

Rich
toolguy
. I just posted a response to another post a day ago about AutohausAz. . they have the complete Sachs clutch package for $329 free shipping no tax. . Great prices on all 914 stuff. .

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.a...93@Clutch%20Kit
catsltd
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 24 2016, 10:11 PM) *

Just buy the clutch disk if you are short on funds.
It's not a requirement to replace everything, no matter what anyone tells you.

My son burned up all my spare clutch disks....it's a couple of hours to get it done.

Rich

Thanks for the feedback.

Ill pull the tranny and see what I have to deal with.

Once I get it all apart I will have a better idea what I will need.
Ill check ebay as suggested as well.
Thanks for the help guys.
Cheers.
Frankvw
Sometimes only the clutch disk is enough, but please (!) check the throwout bearing before you decide to save money. Does it wine or sing already now while engine still in the car under stress? or spins with sound after you took all apart and run it in your hand ?
Please do not save money but spend it on a new throwout bearing for sure.
Also....(just my opionion, so do with it wat you want) ..Order a new clutchcable if needed now and a endnut if yours is rusted . Good time to replace it now, since you miht be adjusting it anyway with a new clutch.

I had that sound/issue like you described on a VW clucth (related family setup) and some springs let go in the clutch and came loose from the disk.
Geezer914
Sachs clutch kit from Rock Auto including throw out bearing $264.00!!!
matthepcat
IPB Image
catsltd
QUOTE(matthepcat @ May 25 2016, 01:32 PM) *

IPB Image

Couple questions.
1. I think my rear mail seal is leaking,can I change it out with tranny pulled.

2.Yes I will for sure order a new throw out bearing.

3.Is there a how to pull tranny thread any where????.Ill start looking Now.

4.With the tranny pulled,is there anything I should check on while its out,maintenance stuff???

I will pull it on the weekend.
Special tools needed ???I noticed a pilot thing do I need it????.

Thanks Grant
Frankvw
excellent opportunity to do clutch and seals in one go !
Pilot thingie is to make sure the components are centred and if not....well....first you will have a hard time to install it back cause things don't line up and secondly... wear on parts IF you were able to get it back in uncentred....yes buy the 3 dollar plastic pilot thing.
You want to replace the main seal so order that for sure plus the Flywheel O-ring and felt-ring if you have that.

You can also replace the tranny seal at this point, if needed. They are cheap, but it is up to you. Check if needed if stuff is out.

I saw threads to pull engine , like:
http://www.914world.com/specs/tech_engdrop1.php
but there is more....just look around
Frankvw
oh...besides the pilot tool, you will need a flywheel lock tool.
Take care when removing the old seal. The old seal can be a b*tch to get out, but you are gonna replace it, so you can take it out however you want since you are not going to re-use it. be CAREFULL for the case when removing it with force or tools. Just damage teh old seal and NOT the case.

there are special tools to install the seal, to get it in even....but most people do not have it. They fabricated something themselves or use a flat object to get it in so it sits flat and even
r_towle
So,

You do need a clutch disk centering tool, but you could use a wooden dowel if you need to.

You don't need a flywheel look tool , a screw driver will work, air tools work even better.

You must remove the transmission to install the rear main seal.
You must remove the clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel to install the rear main seal.

You can use a correct piece of pipe or PVC to tap it in place.
Geezer914
PVC pipe fittings at Home Depot or Lowes are your friend for tapping in seals and removing or installing center caps on aluminum wheels. agree.gif
mark04usa
Pilot tool comes with the Sachs kit smile.gif
catsltd
Okay.Thanks to everyone I feel Im ready to go ahead.
Ill order the 3 piece kit that comes with throw out bearing.
Also order new seals,and flywheel felt etc.

Once I get it out Ill see how thing look.
Thanks again,and hope everyone has a great weekend.
Cheers Grant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.