Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does it help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Coondog
Getting ready to bring my 914 home. Arizona to Calif. just my luck, this week will see the hottest weather. Need to be on the road by 3am but still 80 degrees.

Question.....Does driving with the engine lid up make any difference in engine temp ??
Tom_T
QUOTE(Coondog @ May 31 2016, 08:59 AM) *

Getting ready to bring my 914 home. Arizona to Calif. just my luck, this week will see the hottest weather. Need to be on the road by 3am but still 80 degrees.

Question.....Does driving with the engine lid up make any difference in engine temp ??

No....

Just carry a spare fan belt, tools to change it & anything else, spare spark plugs, & oil & check level at every stop, & try to park in shade on stops to help cool it.

Mine was always very reliable on desert trips to Havasu etc. - especially after I had the fuel pump relocated up front per the Porsche service bulletin after a no start after a stop at the Blythe Denny's, due to the hot restart fuel vapor lock issue.

Your `75 already has the factory pump relocation, so you shouldn't experience that problem.

You'll find your biggest issue will be the heat on you! Don't be tempted to take the top off for that run, cuz it just makes it hotter IMHO. Open the windows & fan on full! smile.gif

Hope to meet you in person if you can make it to Mile Square Park in Fountain Valley on 6/18 9-3 for the PCA OCR Concours, &/or at the Steve McQueen Charity Concours at Boys Republic in Chino on 6/4 8-2. The latter is multi-marque - so bring one of your American classics for display/entry, & the 914 to entor or display on the 18th.

Have a fun drive & safe travels! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Coondog
Thanks Tom, I always removed the rain tray from my past 914s thinking it would help cooling. Oh well !!! Just replaced fan belt, topped off oil and triple checked all fuel lines. Driving from the desert to the desert...... WTF.gif
Fountain Valley show could happen. I will let you know if I can make it.
michael7810
I left my engine lid open by accident leaving a nigh time car gathering and discovered it completely blocks the back window; and with no right side mirror I was forced to turn left which in my case was a freeway on ramp going away from home. Lessons learned.

BTW: I'm in Phoenix so PM if you need anything.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Coondog @ May 31 2016, 09:45 AM) *
I always removed the rain tray from my past 914s thinking it would help cooling.

Removing the rain tray might help a bit and it sounds like you're not expecting any rain.

It certainly won't make it run hotter.
shades.gif
Chris914n6
My plan wold be to keep the windows closed, the airflow will dry you out faster.
Cover everything in white towels. The black vinyl will hit 180F in the sun.
Wear white clothes that cover you to keep the sun off.
Keep a cooler in the car full of ice and water and a wash cloth or 2.
Don't drink any sodas of the trip.
Good Luck
SirAndy
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ May 31 2016, 01:23 PM) *
Keep a cooler in the car full of ice and water and a wash cloth or 2.

I have one of these for my desert roadtrips, works great!

Dave_Darling
Leaving the engine lid up may help a little bit, but as stated it will block your view out the rear window. It will also bounce up and down, which may get irritating.

If you're worried, you can remove the lid and stash it in the trunk or stand it up in the passenger's seat. If you're very worried, you should probably look into some oil temp and head temp gauges.

I managed to survive a trip from SF to Salt Lake City in late June. It was kind of brutal. I did keep the windows down, but I made sure I had plenty of cold water. I had an ice chest that I kept full of water bottles, and had more bottles to go in when I drank some. I also had a washcloth that I would throw into the melted ice in the cooler and then drape around my neck. I do wish it had been a bit larger, like a hand-towel or a dish towel.

Ear plugs are necessary, I think. The noise really will wear you down over the course of a few hours. I used ear-buds and played music, but just plain earplugs would probably do as well.

I did not feel the need to cover up the dash or steering wheel. I think white towels would make for more windshield reflections than I am comfortable with. Long sleeves or lots of sunscreen are very strongly recommended!

--DD
76-914
Believe it or not, wash out a bottle of spray butter with hot water to flush. Then fill with plain water. They spray an incredibly fine mist that evaporates within a few seconds.
jsh
I put a wire between the two parts of the latch so the hatch is about 1/3 up. I think it helps. On my VW beetle I made a prop to keep the lid open about 8 inches at the bottom. I use this because my VW is very original thus no stand offs that many use for extra hot air cooling
Larmo63
Just drive fast, use your head and do it.

Gunn1
Another way to remedy the issue...

Move to Minnesota! Beautiful scenery,
10,000+ lakes so plenty of spots to jump
In and cool off.

Just a thought......
Coondog
8pm 100 degrees...... sad.gif
Alarm set for 3am
Calif bound home by 9am smile.gif

Thanks for all the tips...
Gunn1
QUOTE(Coondog @ Jun 1 2016, 10:16 PM) *

8pm 100 degrees...... sad.gif
Alarm set for 3am
Calif bound home by 9am smile.gif

Thanks for all the tips...

There is a apple valley in Minnesota
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.