Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 conversion?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
hyespeed
I want to have a 6 swap done and wanted to know what kind of pricing or is there someone in California to call and get an idea of what it will take?
SirAndy
QUOTE(hyespeed @ May 31 2016, 01:52 PM) *
I want to have a 6 swap done and wanted to know what kind of pricing or is there someone in California to call and get an idea of what it will take?

There used to be but he moved. sad.gif

If you are talking about a smaller /6 (2.0 - 2.4), that can still be done somewhat on the cheap side since it doesn't require upgrading the chassis, brakes or suspension.

Anything bigger than that and you're looking at a lot more expenses. Bigger brakes, upgraded suspension, wider wheels, external oil cooling, upgraded transmission, chassis stiffening etc etc etc
Plus, of course, the cost of the engine itself.

My /6 conversion was about $15k in parts alone and that was 10 years ago. See my build thread in my signature for details.
driving.gif
2mAn
Most of the current conversions for sale now are around 30-40k. If you have the means it might be easier to just buy a finished one
hyespeed
Yeah that seems to be the consensus but at those prices might as well buy a 911. I like my 914 it just needs to be cleaned up and motor running so I figured a 2.7 or 3.0 swap to get it moving. But 30-40k get a 2.7 pre smog.
DBCooper
Cool, I think that's the first time I've seen that, the price of 914's are so high that you may as well buy a 911.

mb911
QUOTE(DBCooper @ May 31 2016, 02:06 PM) *

Cool, I think that's the first time I've seen that, the price of 914's are so high that you may as well buy a 911.

911s are great and I have owned an sc, carrera, turbo and a 964 all are great.. Non were as much fun as my 6 conversion.. But to each there own.
PanelBilly
Complete drivetrain fully rebuilt $21,000 plus you do a lot of work. The 911 will cost the same so I honk it's a matter of body style and mid engine/ tail dragger preference. That gets you high end parts that are worthy of the time you'll invest
hyespeed
What kind of power can you get out of the 4 cylinder and what would it cost or where is good place to look for 911 motors? Or are there preferred shops to contact to do the fabrication?
SirAndy
QUOTE(hyespeed @ May 31 2016, 04:07 PM) *
What kind of power can you get out of the 4 cylinder

How much money do you have?
popcorn[1].gif
hyespeed
I mean realistically is it worth building the stock motor or spending 30k on a swap? That's why I ask is there anyone most would recommend to give me a solid figure and performance specs?
EdwardBlume
A build is worth the love of building it, and the end result, but the rest is challenging and expensive.
hyespeed
Well if anyone has a shop to contact to make an inquiry I would appreciate it. Thanks
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(hyespeed @ May 31 2016, 05:12 PM) *

Well if anyone has a shop to contact to make an inquiry I would appreciate it. Thanks

Where in Central California are you?

If you decide to do a conversion find the motor first. If you can't find what you want then you will save money rather than paying a shop for doing the leg work and spending top dollar to do the conversion.

A 2.0L, 2.4L and 2.7L will just bolt in with no flywheel modification and save you a few bucks. Anything up to a 3.2L is not that hard to do most of the stuff yourself.

Take it slow and amass the parts.

Jeff
hyespeed
Thanks Jeff, I'm in Fresno and I appreciate the the help.
Coondog
Just my two cents..............ERRRRRRRR. I MEAN $38,000 that's what Patrick Motorsport quoted me for a turn key 2.7 motor.

I was like ok Bro no problem............ mellow.gif
Then I went to FAT Proformance in Orange Calif. they were about 1/3 of the price for a turn key 2270....... smile.gif
I understand the HP difference and the whole 6 vs 4 cool factor thing, just can't justify that type of pricing. I have been looking at Calif auto dismantling, there average price for a 3.2 is about $ 10,000. I figure another $ 5,000 for misc parts and shit happens stuff that pops up and I am good as brakes and 5 lug stuff is already done.
mepstein
QUOTE(Coondog @ May 31 2016, 08:44 PM) *

Just my two cents..............ERRRRRRRR. I MEAN $38,000 that's what Patrick Motorsport quoted me for a turn key 2.7 motor.

Then I went to FAT Proformance in Orange Calif. they were about 1/3 of the price for a turn key 2270....... smile.gif
I understand the HP difference and the whole 6 vs 4 cool factor thing, just can't justify that type of pricing. I have been looking at Calif auto dismantling, there average price for a 3.2 is about $ 10,000. I figure another $ 5,000 for misc parts and shit happens stuff that pops up and I am good as brakes and 5 lug stuff is already done.

No way will you do it for just $5k over the 3.2 engine. Do you just have five lug or do you have a 911 drivetrain with large cv's. You will need oil tank, modify on engine oil cooler, oil console, oil fill, thermostat, hard and soft lines and oil cooling, clutch and pressure plate. suspension, engine mount, accelerator linkage, tach, speed sensors, oil pressure and temp gauge. Engine to body harness, engine sheet metal, headers, exhaust, ect.
Coondog
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 31 2016, 06:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Coondog @ May 31 2016, 08:44 PM) *

No way will you do it for just $5k over the 3.2 engine. Do you just have five lug or do you have a 911 drivetrain with large cv's. You will need oil tank, modify on engine oil cooler, oil console, oil fill, thermostat, hard and soft lines and oil cooling, clutch and pressure plate. suspension, engine mount, accelerator linkage, tach, speed sensors, oil pressure and temp gauge. Engine to body harness, engine sheet metal, headers, exhaust, ect.

911 stuff already done by PMS. Guess I will have to revisit the extras.... sad.gif
Makes FAT look that much more appealing.
echocanyons
No one in the valley that I know of.
I sent mine to Eric in Salt Lake City after Mark moved.
Cairo94507
Welcome. I agree wth 2mAn - find a conversion that has all of the hard work done and grab it and finish it to your liking. You can do that for 1/2 the price or better in all likelihood.

Or, if you have the car already and want to make your car the way you want it, put it on a trailer or transport to Eric's shop in Utah.

I think this is the kind of thing that if you have the skills - you are blessed. Most of us mere mortals, can write a check and know what we want, but lack the ability to actually do the work any more, if ever.

Conversions pop up regularly that make excellent starting points.
hyespeed
Yeah it's a difficult choice but big money either it seems as though a built 2.3 IV will run about 9k which is not far off the base price of a 6. What is the name of the shop or the contact for Eric?
To be honest the real reason I want to build this car is a bit of sentimental value it was my dads and he wanted to build it before he passed. So certainly it would be easier to buy someone else's car but I would probably just keep this car and it will stay in my garage.
Steve
I would also look at the cost of a Subaru conversion or LS v8 crate engine.
The days of a cheap six conversion is over unless you find a smoking deal on a used six motor. They are out there, but most need work.
mepstein
QUOTE(hyespeed @ May 31 2016, 10:22 PM) *

Yeah it's a difficult choice but big money either it seems as though a built 2.3 IV will run about 9k which is not far off the base price of a 6. What is the name of the shop or the contact for Eric?
To be honest the real reason I want to build this car is a bit of sentimental value it was my dads and he wanted to build it before he passed. So certainly it would be easier to buy someone else's car but I would probably just keep this car and it will stay in my garage.

So if your going to keep the car then what you pay isn't too important. Do what is going to make you happy.

If you mean Eric Shea - PMBperformance.com, a very good choice.
hyespeed
Thanks I'll contact them.
Larmo63
I always wanted a 914-6. My /4 spun a bearing right before the Route 66 event in April of this year, so I had to make a decision; rebuild the four, or build a 2.0 /6 I got about a year ago for next to nothing? I decided to go for it and build the six to as high a standard as possible. I've always loved the sound of the early (mine is a '69) engines. While not the MOST powerful of them, they do have advantages. The 2.0 is quite a bit lighter weight and has no real immediate need for a front oil cooler. A 901 transmission easily works with it too. My costs in a total build of the motor, doing the engine mount, headers, oil tank and lines, etc., are around $16K. There will be a few more tricks to it also. I'm estimating 180+ HP. (don't laugh)

I think that answers your question, but you have to find your own engine deal like I did.
hyespeed
I emailed pmb, I'll wait and see what they have to say. As far as body work or paint that's somewhat of the field I am currently in and have some friends who do well with fabrication so I would try and do most of that. Porsches are some what foreign to me so trying to do a six build for track/street use is a little intimidating.
Rav914
Money is always an issue, but, if it weren't this would be ideal:

The Polo engine. Just thought I'd add a completely needless post biggrin.gif

JmuRiz
Polo = good for a 356 or 912
= overkill for not much benefit in a 914

In a 914, just go with your 911 engine of choice, as the engine bay and location are non issues on our cars.

I am going with a /6 just because I got a good deal on a 2.7...time will tell if it was the right move. Not that I plan on ever selling it.
ConeDodger
Mark at Original Customs is pretty busy right now, but he would come and get your car if it is a full conversion. He has a trailer and travel is not a problem.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 1 2016, 12:40 PM) *

Mark at Original Customs is pretty busy right now, but he would come and get your car if it is a full conversion. He has a trailer and travel is not a problem.

Does he make house calls?
porschetub
QUOTE(hyespeed @ Jun 1 2016, 09:47 AM) *

Yeah that seems to be the consensus but at those prices might as well buy a 911. I like my 914 it just needs to be cleaned up and motor running so I figured a 2.7 or 3.0 swap to get it moving. But 30-40k get a 2.7 pre smog.

Yea but the 914 will be complete and running with little to nothing to do ,just drive and enjoy......good luck finding a 911 like that confused24.gif .

Justinp71
QUOTE(hyespeed @ May 31 2016, 02:47 PM) *

But 914-6?

These cars are freaking amazing! And the mid engine platform is so much more forgiving and easier to drive over the 911. Seems like the thing to do is a honda or subaru v-6 these days.

If you want a creature comfort and a panty dropper then 911 could be better. Although my 914 is more comfortable than my GTI...

Justin
porschetub
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Jun 2 2016, 10:31 AM) *

QUOTE(hyespeed @ May 31 2016, 02:47 PM) *

But 914-6?

These cars are freaking amazing! And the mid engine platform is so much more forgiving and easier to drive over the 911. Seems like the thing to do is a honda or subaru v-6 these days.

If you want a creature comfort and a panty dropper then 911 could be better. Although my 914 is more comfortable than my GTI...

Justin

agree.gif
hyespeed
If I went other than air-cooled (the sound is amazing) I think a ecoboost motor out of the focus st would be amazing but in all seriousness if the six swap is doable than thats what I want to do. I have been wanting to get into track days like willow springs or laguna seca, so I figure this would be great to build into that direction but I want to be able to also drive it to the track.
hyespeed
Mark from original customs in Mi? He will come out to CA to pick up a car for a build?
hyespeed
IPB Image

this car has been sitting in a garage for about 20yrs
mepstein
QUOTE(hyespeed @ Jun 1 2016, 08:30 PM) *

IPB Image

Pic of the car?
Jeffs9146
Here is a 3.0L motor for sale on the Bird!

3.0L Engine on Pelican Parts

ConeDodger
QUOTE(hyespeed @ Jun 1 2016, 08:25 PM) *

Mark from original customs in Mi? He will come out to CA to pick up a car for a build?

Call him. Booked up for a while but...
JmuRiz
QUOTE(hyespeed @ Jun 1 2016, 04:30 PM) *

IPB Image

Well that's a horse of a different color!
Don't convert it, an under 8k mile car blink.gif
Put a McMark 2056 in it and enjoy the extra umph.
mepstein
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jun 1 2016, 08:45 PM) *

I know bruce/ flat6pac personally. He's a great engine builder and a great guy. His engines are very well priced.
carr914
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jun 1 2016, 08:45 PM) *

8 Months with No Buyer seems weird to me.

I just bought a 3.2 running long block for $5k with a few extras. I just sold a 2.8 Complete Race Engine to Europe for over $35k
echocanyons
There is a pro on town who has done at least a couple of Subaru conversions on 914s.

I think that he may occasionally visit this board as well, his name is Brody, I think this: http://www.914sgonewild.com is his web site.
hyespeed
Excuse the mess I had a house flood a few months back and still have not straightened out the garage

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
hyespeed
There is an older body kit still in the box, I don't plan on using it and I'm not sure he was either. I have spare parts as well including doors, quarter panels, seats, etc.
hyespeed
Few wheels as well.
hyespeed
I also have a Audi 5000 transaxle, I do not know the application of this transmission are they used for 914?
Mueller
If we set up a gofundme account can we raise some money to have that body kit permanently destroyed? Or sell it to a Fiero guy smile.gif

Audi box for possible Chevy conversion by the previous owner..or he wanted to use an older Audi motor?
hyespeed
HA! You start a gofundme and ill set it on fire and record it!
thanks
hyespeed
What's the general consensus on a V8 swap? Apparently there is a guy in SoCal who can complete a small block ford 302 swap for 10k roughly half the price of a six swap and I'm a big fan of the ford 302. What other shops do V8 swaps I'd like to speak to them as well.
ConeDodger
Renegade - Las Vegas...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.