Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914-6 conversion?, Build?
hyespeed
post May 31 2016, 02:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,523
Region Association: Central California

I want to have a 6 swap done and wanted to know what kind of pricing or is there someone in California to call and get an idea of what it will take?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 31 2016, 03:05 PM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(hyespeed @ May 31 2016, 01:52 PM) *
I want to have a 6 swap done and wanted to know what kind of pricing or is there someone in California to call and get an idea of what it will take?

There used to be but he moved. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

If you are talking about a smaller /6 (2.0 - 2.4), that can still be done somewhat on the cheap side since it doesn't require upgrading the chassis, brakes or suspension.

Anything bigger than that and you're looking at a lot more expenses. Bigger brakes, upgraded suspension, wider wheels, external oil cooling, upgraded transmission, chassis stiffening etc etc etc
Plus, of course, the cost of the engine itself.

My /6 conversion was about $15k in parts alone and that was 10 years ago. See my build thread in my signature for details.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
2mAn
post May 31 2016, 03:12 PM
Post #3

trying to see how long I can go without a 914

Member No.: 16,644
Region Association: Southern California

Most of the current conversions for sale now are around 30-40k. If you have the means it might be easier to just buy a finished one
+Quote Post
hyespeed
post May 31 2016, 03:47 PM
Post #4

Yeah that seems to be the consensus but at those prices might as well buy a 911. I like my 914 it just needs to be cleaned up and motor running so I figured a 2.7 or 3.0 swap to get it moving. But 30-40k get a 2.7 pre smog.
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post May 31 2016, 04:06 PM
Post #5

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618

Cool, I think that's the first time I've seen that, the price of 914's are so high that you may as well buy a 911.

+Quote Post
mb911
post May 31 2016, 04:20 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(DBCooper @ May 31 2016, 02:06 PM) *

Cool, I think that's the first time I've seen that, the price of 914's are so high that you may as well buy a 911.

911s are great and I have owned an sc, carrera, turbo and a 964 all are great.. Non were as much fun as my 6 conversion.. But to each there own.
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post May 31 2016, 04:35 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Complete drivetrain fully rebuilt $21,000 plus you do a lot of work. The 911 will cost the same so I honk it's a matter of body style and mid engine/ tail dragger preference. That gets you high end parts that are worthy of the time you'll invest
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
hyespeed
post May 31 2016, 05:07 PM
Post #8

What kind of power can you get out of the 4 cylinder and what would it cost or where is good place to look for 911 motors? Or are there preferred shops to contact to do the fabrication?
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 31 2016, 05:19 PM
Post #9

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(hyespeed @ May 31 2016, 04:07 PM) *
What kind of power can you get out of the 4 cylinder

How much money do you have?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
hyespeed
post May 31 2016, 05:25 PM
Post #10

I mean realistically is it worth building the stock motor or spending 30k on a swap? That's why I ask is there anyone most would recommend to give me a solid figure and performance specs?
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post May 31 2016, 05:30 PM
Post #11

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81

A build is worth the love of building it, and the end result, but the rest is challenging and expensive.
+Quote Post
hyespeed
post May 31 2016, 06:12 PM
Post #12

Well if anyone has a shop to contact to make an inquiry I would appreciate it. Thanks
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post May 31 2016, 06:29 PM
Post #13

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

QUOTE(hyespeed @ May 31 2016, 05:12 PM) *

Well if anyone has a shop to contact to make an inquiry I would appreciate it. Thanks

Where in Central California are you?

If you decide to do a conversion find the motor first. If you can't find what you want then you will save money rather than paying a shop for doing the leg work and spending top dollar to do the conversion.

A 2.0L, 2.4L and 2.7L will just bolt in with no flywheel modification and save you a few bucks. Anything up to a 3.2L is not that hard to do most of the stuff yourself.

Take it slow and amass the parts.

Jeff
+Quote Post
hyespeed
post May 31 2016, 06:34 PM
Post #14

Thanks Jeff, I'm in Fresno and I appreciate the the help.
+Quote Post
Coondog
post May 31 2016, 06:44 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

Just my two cents..............ERRRRRRRR. I MEAN $38,000 that's what Patrick Motorsport quoted me for a turn key 2.7 motor.

I was like ok Bro no problem............ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif)
Then I went to FAT Proformance in Orange Calif. they were about 1/3 of the price for a turn key 2270....... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
I understand the HP difference and the whole 6 vs 4 cool factor thing, just can't justify that type of pricing. I have been looking at Calif auto dismantling, there average price for a 3.2 is about $ 10,000. I figure another $ 5,000 for misc parts and shit happens stuff that pops up and I am good as brakes and 5 lug stuff is already done.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 31 2016, 07:00 PM
Post #16

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Coondog @ May 31 2016, 08:44 PM) *

Just my two cents..............ERRRRRRRR. I MEAN $38,000 that's what Patrick Motorsport quoted me for a turn key 2.7 motor.

I was like ok Bro no problem............ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif)
Then I went to FAT Proformance in Orange Calif. they were about 1/3 of the price for a turn key 2270....... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
I understand the HP difference and the whole 6 vs 4 cool factor thing, just can't justify that type of pricing. I have been looking at Calif auto dismantling, there average price for a 3.2 is about $ 10,000. I figure another $ 5,000 for misc parts and shit happens stuff that pops up and I am good as brakes and 5 lug stuff is already done.

No way will you do it for just $5k over the 3.2 engine. Do you just have five lug or do you have a 911 drivetrain with large cv's. You will need oil tank, modify on engine oil cooler, oil console, oil fill, thermostat, hard and soft lines and oil cooling, clutch and pressure plate. suspension, engine mount, accelerator linkage, tach, speed sensors, oil pressure and temp gauge. Engine to body harness, engine sheet metal, headers, exhaust, ect.
+Quote Post
Coondog
post May 31 2016, 07:24 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 31 2016, 06:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Coondog @ May 31 2016, 08:44 PM) *

No way will you do it for just $5k over the 3.2 engine. Do you just have five lug or do you have a 911 drivetrain with large cv's. You will need oil tank, modify on engine oil cooler, oil console, oil fill, thermostat, hard and soft lines and oil cooling, clutch and pressure plate. suspension, engine mount, accelerator linkage, tach, speed sensors, oil pressure and temp gauge. Engine to body harness, engine sheet metal, headers, exhaust, ect.

911 stuff already done by PMS. Guess I will have to revisit the extras.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Makes FAT look that much more appealing.
+Quote Post
echocanyons
post May 31 2016, 07:48 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 7

No one in the valley that I know of.
I sent mine to Eric in Salt Lake City after Mark moved.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 31 2016, 08:11 PM
Post #19

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Welcome. I agree wth 2mAn - find a conversion that has all of the hard work done and grab it and finish it to your liking. You can do that for 1/2 the price or better in all likelihood.

Or, if you have the car already and want to make your car the way you want it, put it on a trailer or transport to Eric's shop in Utah.

I think this is the kind of thing that if you have the skills - you are blessed. Most of us mere mortals, can write a check and know what we want, but lack the ability to actually do the work any more, if ever.

Conversions pop up regularly that make excellent starting points.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
hyespeed
post May 31 2016, 08:22 PM
Post #20

Yeah it's a difficult choice but big money either it seems as though a built 2.3 IV will run about 9k which is not far off the base price of a 6. What is the name of the shop or the contact for Eric?
To be honest the real reason I want to build this car is a bit of sentimental value it was my dads and he wanted to build it before he passed. So certainly it would be easier to buy someone else's car but I would probably just keep this car and it will stay in my garage.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 07:41 AM