Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: just got my bursch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Schnell944
there's kind of a dent on the underside of the bursch muffler i got today...should I send it back or jsut not worry about it...it's not HUGE, but it kinda pisses me off. is this just a common thing bc of low-ish quality? and is there normally a little dent there bc of welds and manufacturing stuff>?
Part Pricer
My Bursch came yesterday. I was out of town so I just opened it and inspected it tonight. Mine looks fine. I've got no dents or blemishes (neither does my exhaust). wink.gif
Mueller
Think of it as a tuning feature smile.gif

You are changing the volume and shape of the muffler smash.gif

I'd keep it unless the metal is damaged enough so that it might fail, but I doubt it..............
anthony
Bursch's also seem to rust instantly. I think if I got a new one I'd paint it with that POR-15 exhaust paint or some other appropriate high temp paint.
Part Pricer
The paint quality on the one I just got actually looks pretty good. However, I'm not taking any chances. I've got a can of "Fast Black" VHT exhaust paint waiting in the garage.

Tomorrow, I paint. Saturday, I install.
tod914
Regarding exhausts, Im trying to find one that is inbetween the noise level of the factory and monza.
Does the bursh fit the bill?
Bleyseng
Bursch and Triad are in between. Triad sounds way better, lower.
Geoff
seanery
Triad is better?

got a weblink?
RustyWa
Is that "BLAAAHHHH" sound common to Bursch exhausts when you get on it a little? Or is that a sign of age. I'm wondering because the one's I heard recently, sounded like it.

mueba.gif
Bleyseng
The Bursch is quiet only the first couple of months then it sounds like shit.

Triadwestperformance.com
I will see Dave Ellison this weekend, everyone except Chris and I run Triad exhausts there. Hey, I guess we are the odd couple or odd men out. (cheap)

Geoff
Jeff Krieger
Why not put a stock muffler on?
Anton
QUOTE(Jeff Krieger @ Jun 19 2003, 11:29 PM)
Why not put a stock muffler on?

My thoughts exactly.

The 914 engine is noisy enough as it is. Furthermore, the engine predominantly determines the exhaust sound, not the muffler. Besides, a correct backpressure and flow capacity (with stock engines) will be maintained with an original "banana".

My car at first had a Supersprint 914 Sport Exhaust; it produced a constant drone during high way driving; now that is "exhausting"! Performance is now better with a stock muffler and the noise level is down.

Neither your d... will get longer or your car any faster with a so called sport exhaust. cool_shades.gif
Part Pricer
Well guys, I changed my plans and I'm kinda glad I did.

Originally, I was going to paint my new Bursch with VHT paint, let it dry then install it. Today, I decided that I would install the new exhaust without painting it so I could make sure that it was functioning properly. Then, I would remove it and paint it at a later time.

I got the thing installed pretty easily. I backed the car out of the garage and let it sit running for no longer than 60 seconds while I went inside to grab my wallet. I came out and the rear end of my car was sitting in a cloud of smoke. ohmy.gif

It appears that the paint that the exhaust is coated with needs to burn off to some extent. Hence, the smoke. And the smell is not too great either.

Other than a little smoke and smell, it is working great.
need4speed
Long ago, when I painted a muffler with some (inadequate) high temp paint I bought at the local hardware store, I recall that the instructions were to get the paint up to a high temperature to "cure" it, within 12 hours of application. The guy at the hardware store said to use a propane torch if necessary.
I did both.

Of course, the stuff flaked off within a week of driving. . .
airsix
I've been very happy with my Burch. Three years and it still looks and sounds like new. And it does have a small dent in the turbo muffler to clearance for one of the pipes. No big deal.
-Ben M.
tryan
$933 for a stock 2.0 muffler on pelican. i need a couple more jobs.
Schnell944
ahh, that's what the smoke and smell was from! lol....I threw a seat in the car quickly and drove it around the block to test the new bursch out and wasnt sure what to make of it. lol3.gif
Anton
Price differences in Europe:

Typical Mittelmotor Prices

Bursch 2.0 exhaust 256.- euro

Original 2.0 banana 299.- euro
Jeff Krieger
Wow, 299 Euros is about $345 USD! Even with shipping that would beat the heck out of Pelican's price.
Anton
For the dedicated internet shopper: Mittelmotor English Startpage
Go to Products > Parts > Order > Model 914 > 0.1 engine > 0.13 exhaust system and there you can go (exhaust) bananas. mueba.gif
tryan
thanks anton. i am trying to get a hold of a guy stationed in germany to avoid the tariff natzis. you just saved me big bucks.
maf914
You might want to consider the Mittelmotor stainless steel 914 muffler. It is very well made and sounds good too. I bought mine from them about a year and a half ago for about $300 (exchange rate is not so favorable now though), shipped directly to my post box. No tariff or customs problems. Fair shipping costs.

Mike
J P Stein
I have bought 2 products from Bursch. A muffler for when I had a 2.0L and headers for a 6.

The first thing I did with each was sandblast off that black paint. It's the same crap that I would get from
header manufactures back in the 60s. If you don't take it off, it comes off from the heat....a bit at a time.....The reason they still put it on escapes me.
I would gladly pay an extra 5 bucks for decent
hi-temp paint and avoid the blaster.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.