Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: stripped shift linkage cone screw
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ggenovez
Hi all.

I've run into some trouble trying to remove my engine.

The transmission shift linkage cone screw is severely ceased and the allen nut was rounded.

I tried liquid wrench, cutting a slot and using a screw driver, heat, welding a nut (it just fell off every time), beating a torx bit into it and that stripped the rest of it.

Any other ideas?
GaroldShaffer
you can try an easy out bit. I have had a few parts cars in the past that I had to drill out the screw.
Mueller
I'd try a left hand drill or easy out...might have to pony up and get some replacement parts if you mess up too badly.
Mikey914
Try drilling out with a left hand bit.
EdwardBlume
BTDT - I tried it all and ended up buying a new connector after drilling through it.
gcrotvik
QUOTE(RobW @ Jun 2 2016, 06:47 AM) *

BTDT - I tried it all and ended up buying a new connector after drilling through it.

Agreed. I had to drill out the screw completely. Had to replace the shift coupler.
brant
you guys should send me your ovaled out/destroyed connectors...
I'd pay shipping and put them to good use
brant
Mueller
I've repaired the tapered section with epoxy, you can use a new set screw as the pattern.

TheCabinetmaker
Hammer in a torx bit the of the first size that won't fit. Use a little heat, and back it out.
ThinAir
I had a similar problem. I used an Easy-Out, but had to drill the cone screw in order to get the right size hole so it would bite. I ended up with the cone piece still in front shirt rod and had to drill that out separately after I slid the coupler off. Fortunately, new cone screws are readily available and I didn't mess up the threads in the coupler.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.