Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Porsche
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
Not sure they need another sedan !
carr914
If it weren't for the 914, I wouldn't give Porsche a rats ass!

You don't see Ferrari making SUVs & Sedans. Porsche lost their way a long time ago!
EdwardBlume
agree.gif

As nice as the modern super cars are, I think something was lost from 98 on...
r_towle
The should make a turbo 4 cylinder Cayman targa
matthepcat
I disagree. I would drive a Cayman GT4 if I could justify the expense.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Jun 3 2016, 06:08 PM) *

Yeah, throw a CGT, GT3, and 911 Turbo to the list but none of them will be rebuild it yourself enthusiast cars... ever.
frankiec@outrageous.net
Check it out, the Ferrari SUV. It's all over!

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 3 2016, 04:40 PM) *

You don't see Ferrari making SUVs & Sedans. Porsche lost their way a long time ago!

jmitro
RobW - kind of ironic that your signature says "I never met a Porsche I didn't like"

maybe time to rethink your sig? idea.gif biggrin.gif
QUOTE(RobW @ Jun 3 2016, 06:11 PM) *

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Jun 3 2016, 06:08 PM) *

Yeah, throw a CGT, GT3, and 911 Turbo to the list but none of them will be rebuild it yourself enthusiast cars... ever.

I disagree, simply surf a few of the 911 forums.
There are some that will build their TT engine.
But then, we are discussing a lot lot higher price point for their rides.
Majority of these "modern 911" simply have to funds to outsource for the expertise.
Yes, if I had the disposal income, I would line up for Cayman GT4 too.
Don't know until you've own one and or surf the other Porsche forums. Some members only "know" 914 as its pretty simple vs the new Porsches.
Jamie
QUOTE(frankiec@outrageous.net @ Jun 3 2016, 05:17 PM) *

Check it out, the Ferrari SUV. It's all over!

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 3 2016, 04:40 PM) *

I'm very happy to be able to drive my Cayenne to buy parts for my teener! aktion035.gif
Big Len
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 3 2016, 07:40 PM) *

Ferrari sells nothing under a $200K MSRP. You can't compare the two.
zambezi
That could be a 2 door version of the Panamera. Looks like the rear doors could just be simulated.
JmuRiz
I'll wait to see what it is, never know with porsche...he'll they tested their TAG F1 engine in a 930 body. For all we know they're just testing parts.

I personally hope it's a new 928 rather than a 'pajun'.

I'm still impressed with all the current models, as I've driven the whole model range at the track (aside from GT3/GT4) and the new turbo base Carerra with PDK was amazing. If a car is good and fun, I don't really care.

BTW I do have a 'real Carreras have 4 cams' t shirt I wear to 356 events...so I like to joke around too.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(jmitro @ Jun 3 2016, 06:27 PM) *

RobW - kind of ironic that your signature says "I never met a Porsche I didn't like"

maybe time to rethink your sig? idea.gif biggrin.gif

Yeah, and look at when I joined....
EdwardBlume
I wasn't a fan of the Panamera concept, wrote a marketing paper on it in grad school, and was dead wrong about its success. I've driven a 4S a few hundred miles and found it to be a lot like a 911 in the "think it and the car shall do it" category, but its a heavy sucker with a ton of hp / torque to combat physics. Plus all that refinement becomes less of an enthusiast trait than an OBD II / dealership trait.

IMHO I love Porsche for the people, the racers, and the tinkerer / dreamer. Even a second hand Porsche makes you feel like you did something right in this world. We'll see if the expanded line up for Porsche becomes collector cars or just a notch on the income statement for VW.
Mueller
Not a fan of them sharing motors now...supposedly the new inline 4 turbo in the
Macan is an Audi motor. Nothing too terribly wrong with it, but it seems to cheapen or take some of the thrill out of it...remember the 924s? smile.gif
Elliot Cannon
I think they should sell whatever makes money.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 3 2016, 08:29 PM) *

Macan is an Audi motor.

The V6 Cayenne (early on) was an Audi motor, too. I think it may have been a VR6, in fact.

I remember when they were coming out with the Cayenne. I was absolutely certain they had lost their minds, thinking that they could sell something for 3x the cost of a Boxster or 2x a 911, and thinking they could sell 4-5 times as many of them as either of the others. (No, they sold something like 5-10 times the total of the 911 and Boxster!)

I'm thinking that the professionals that Porsche employs actually do know something about making and selling cars....

...I'd dearly love to see a ~2200 lb Cayman variant, though...

--DD
Cupomeat
agree.gif
The brand suffered little in spreading out to SUVs and 4 door sedans. Most of those who complained aren't buying new Porsches anyway.

If I had the means, I would buy a new Porsche, and yes, even one that isn't a sports car as with Kids, you have different priorities.

Also, I see that Porsche is learning from other brands who sell exclusivity as, perhaps, their #1 trait with some of these low volume models such as the 918 and the 911R.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 3 2016, 08:08 PM) *

Little thread revival because I was just thinking the same thing.

The 718 Targa!

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
TM_Corey
I'm excited about my 914 beyond belief, but my 997.2 C2S is by far the best driving car I've ever driven. Fast, fun, still gets looks after 6 years, and no problem to jump in it and drive 500 miles comfortably in a day.
porbmw
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 3 2016, 08:29 PM) *

Macan is an Audi motor. Nothing too terribly wrong with it, but it seems to cheapen or take some of the thrill out of it...remember the 924s? smile.gif

Yup, I remember them....

And....(gasp), they even had the audacity to go one step lower into the parts bin, and share at least one product line with VW!

Talk about cheapening the product!

poke.gif
7TPorsh
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Oct 6 2016, 12:39 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 3 2016, 08:08 PM) *

Little thread revival because I was just thinking the same thing.

The 718 Targa!

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

A Boxster Spyder with sail panels and a top?
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Oct 6 2016, 04:14 PM) *

A Boxster Spyder with sail panels and a top?

Pretty much, but targa tops > ragtops
Brian Mifsud
Why don't they just put a kidney on the grille and get it over with. It's gross when a performance brand jumps the shark.....
JmuRiz
I'm with porbmw:
I think it's funny a bunch of guys that drive VWPorsches are complaining about platform and engine sharing.
My .02, it's all about the basic business model. Address the market place for the " wants " , create what the new Porsche owners want - majority of the new owners simply want to say , I own a Porsche and experience the joys of handling of a sports car. Some people here might have forgotten that in the early 90's , the old PAG almost went under. After that lesson, do you think any educated business owner / CEO would go down that path again? Money drives the world...do you go to work just for fun??
Larmo63
I love Rob's comment: "Even a second hand Porsche makes you feel like you did something right in this world."

My dad had a '69 Bahama Yellow 912 when I was in high school, and when I get the chance to drive it, I thought I was the baddest badass in the world.
jmitro
QUOTE(396 @ Oct 6 2016, 07:15 PM) *

My .02, it's all about the basic business model. Address the market place for the " wants " , create what the new Porsche owners want - majority of the new owners simply want to say , I own a Porsche and experience the joys of handling of a sports car. Some people here might have forgotten that in the early 90's , the old PAG almost went under. After that lesson, do you think any educated business owner / CEO would go down that path again? Money drives the world...do you go to work just for fun??

agreed. only when Porsche stops racing have they 'lost their way'
krazykonrad
Yeah, pretty much.

Although the Cayman GT4 is pretty legit.

Konrad
John
What is it about you guys liking the Cayman & GT4's over the Boxster GTS's?

I said a long time ago that my next Porsche would be a convertible and it is. Last of the 6's and mid engine. (and most importantly paid for)

While the Cayman's may make a better track car than the Boxsters because of rigidity, I prefer pestering/passing them on track in my 42 year old NARP.

I have to admit the new cars are really nice (and fast) right out of the box, but I still like the aircooled cars as that is what I grew up with.

(And I don't want any sail panels on my 2016 981.)

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.