Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 front suspension upgrade
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billium01
Hello everyone,

I've scoured this forum dozens of times for info on 5 lug upgrades. Including the all your questions answered super thread on the subject. Talked to a knowledgeable fellow today and he said stay away from the 930 front end. It has undesirable anti dive geometry built in. He said go with early 911 suspension. Any thoughts on this?
914Sixer
The only drawback that comes to mind is the weight and the fact that it is way overkill. You could spend the money better on other things. Not race inclined so I can't say about the dive issues.

Steve
The only downside I heard is that the aluminum cross member flexes really bad compared to the early steel one. For a conversion the aluminum cross member supports bolting the fuel pump to it and it's also easier to adapt a hydraulic clutch to it.
It's also lighter.
SirAndy
QUOTE(billium01 @ Jun 3 2016, 04:36 PM) *
He said go with early 911 suspension.

Not too early though. I have a complete frontend from a '84 Carrera in mine ...
smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Steve @ Jun 3 2016, 04:58 PM) *
It's also lighter.

Yes, but the weight is as low to the ground as it will ever get and it's not unsprung weight. I wouldn't worry about the few grams more for a steel crossmember.
smile.gif
Mueller
I cannot see how it has built in anti-dive...I think someone is making stuff up.

I'm 99% sure they have a wider track depending on the year (almost an inch per side?)
Dave_Darling
I have heard the anti-dive thing before. But we had some people who measured the parts and found the dimensions and angles were identical... There may have been some difference in how they were mounted, but the parts were supposedly the same.

I wouldn't bother with 930 stuff mostly because it's going to be more expensive than plain old 911 parts. And it won't be any better for our purposes.

--DD
mgp4591
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 3 2016, 05:59 PM) *

smile.gif

For the uninitiated, what isn't desirable about an earlier 911 front suspension? And how early are we talking about? confused24.gif
sixnotfour
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jun 3 2016, 11:17 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 3 2016, 05:59 PM) *

smile.gif

For the uninitiated, what isn't desirable about an earlier 911 front suspension? And how early are we talking about? confused24.gif

the ball joint is bolt on...most consider the 70s early not many remember the 60'z
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 3 2016, 08:57 PM) *

I have heard the anti-dive thing before. But we had some people who measured the parts and found the dimensions and angles were identical... There may have been some difference in how they were mounted, but the parts were supposedly the same.

I wouldn't bother with 930 stuff mostly because it's going to be more expensive than plain old 911 parts. And it won't be any better for our purposes.

--DD

the anti dive is built into the chassis ..not the suspension itself..
basically the rear mounting point is 21mm higher..
JFJ914
QUOTE(billium01 @ Jun 3 2016, 07:36 PM) *

Hello everyone,

I've scoured this forum dozens of times for info on 5 lug upgrades. Including the all your questions answered super thread on the subject. Talked to a knowledgeable fellow today and he said stay away from the 930 front end. It has undesirable anti dive geometry built in. He said go with early 911 suspension. Any thoughts on this?

The track is much wider w/the 930 and can only be used if the car flared.
Luke M
QUOTE(John Jentz @ Jun 4 2016, 07:19 AM) *

QUOTE(billium01 @ Jun 3 2016, 07:36 PM) *

Hello everyone,

The track is much wider w/the 930 and can only be used if the car flared.

The 930 does have a wider track like some have said. The 930 parts are not cheap either. I had a 930 setup and sold it all because of these things. I instead went with the Boxster brake setup. It all works with either the 20 or 24 mm SC/Carrera rotors which are way cheaper to replace then the 930 ones. Get in touch with Rich Johnson he sells a hole setup.
sixnotfour
1976 930's have 1976 911S brakes with spacers to widen the track..
and 18mm sway bay through the body...this would be a sweet find..

you would need to install shorter studs though..

mepstein
Good point about "which year" 930 suspension. Like all 911 years, it changed from year to year. With the current rise in prices, it will cost you more to buy "930 suspension" than to buy the suspension pieces you want for the front of your car. A good place to start would be to read Eric Shea's article on five lug conversion. It covers different front strut options and the brake choices you will have with the struts.
billium01
thanks everyone for the input! Gonna keep an eye out for a 911 suspension.
racerbvd
QUOTE(billium01 @ Jun 6 2016, 05:06 PM) *

I have struts and A-arms (no calipers though) for sale.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
jcd914
On my 71, I went with struts & brakes off a 72 911T.
These have 3 inch caliper bolt spacing and pinch bolt ball joint attachment.
Kept my 914 control arms, ball joints and t-bars.
I have a set of Alfa Romeo Brembo caliper to add down the road.

If you get 73 or latter you get the taper pin ball joint attachment, which is better.
I think 911 went to 3 1/2 inch caliper bolt spacing in 1975 but I am not sure.

Jim
colingreene
My concern would be how stiff the torsion bars are. Might not be ideal with such a light car.
billium01
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Jun 6 2016, 06:45 PM) *

QUOTE(billium01 @ Jun 6 2016, 05:06 PM) *

I have struts and A-arms (no calipers though) for sale.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

How much are you asking for them?
sixnotfour
Call John Walkers Workshop Seattle Wa. his inventory varies, but worth the call, and closer to you.
he is a great guy and very fair ...tell em Hines sent you 206 789 6800

don't ask too many 914 questions though....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.