Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Glass bead blasting on valves?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SLKWrx
Until today I had thought that I would need new valves for my 2056 project. My intake valves looked like they had been oddly etched. It wasn't until one of the metal guys that I work with took a look and said it is probably just carbon buildup.

My Question: Can I use Glass Beads as a media blast to clean up the valves? will I ruin them if I do it?

Thanks all
-- Steve
SLITS
Glass beads will not remove metal....only deposits....blast away, I do it all the time.
DonTraver
I've glass bead blasted vavles before with no problem. The carbon build-up is not in the wear surface (stem) of the valve. Just go over them lightly until the carbon is gone, ya know. Another way if you're not sure about that is a wire brush on a bench grinder. You can also get some carbon remover and soak them first to soften up the carbon deposits. Be careful with the carbon remover, wear heavy gloves, it'll take your skin off.

Take care, Don
SLITS
Hi Don,

Have boat and skis...no gernades tho! laugh.gif
914GT
These valves on my old 2.0L have been bead blasted and then moly/thermal coated.
user posted image
DonTraver
Dodging gernades on water ski's is what makes it exciting, also tests your vision and reflexes, lol. End of hijack.
SLKWrx
Wow.. alrighty then. Time to get to the media blaster.. Thanks for the advice all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.