Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Emergency Brake Light - where is it?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orbit398
I have an early '74 model (production number 144). I have the warning light switch that triggers the emergency brake light when the handle is lifted but there is no wire in the channel by the seat to hook up the switch. I have no idea what light is supposed to come on in the dash somewhere. Can anyone let me know by a pic? Also a wiring diagram or helpful notes would be apprecited so I can tie into an existing wire, if I can find it.

thanks
worn
QUOTE(orbit398 @ Jun 10 2016, 08:22 AM) *

I have an early '74 model (production number 144). I have the warning light switch that triggers the emergency brake light when the handle is lifted but there is no wire in the channel by the seat to hook up the switch. I have no idea what light is supposed to come on in the dash somewhere. Can anyone let me know by a pic? Also a wiring diagram or helpful notes would be apprecited so I can tie into an existing wire, if I can find it.

thanks

Wire should be brown with white stripe. Will run on or in the horizontal rib that strengthens the floor. Probably glued under carpet padding if you don't see it. You should be seeing a red light on the fuel gauge. It is activated by the flasher relay.
orbit398
QUOTE(worn @ Jun 10 2016, 11:55 AM) *

QUOTE(orbit398 @ Jun 10 2016, 08:22 AM) *

thanks

Wire should be brown with white stripe. Will run on or in the horizontal rib that strengthens the floor. Probably glued under carpet padding if you don't see it. You should be seeing a red light on the fuel gauge. It is activated by the flasher relay.

thanks but I have had the car done to the bones. No wire in the cross member but may be able to find it under the console. Now I know what to look for.
Dave_Darling
The brake warning light is also activated by the switch in the master cylinder. When that switch detects a major pressure differential between the front and rear brake circuits, it grounds out and the light in the combo gauge will start blinking.

--DD
malcolm2
Big half moon window in the top half of the far left gauge. Fuel on the bottom, brake warning on top.

If you have a combo gauge with fuel on the btm and temp on the top the small red light on the left (at 9o'clock) of this same gauge is the brake warning light.

fourth fuse holder from the right.... it says warning light for brakes. is there a brn/wht wire on one side of that fuse? follow it, splice wire to it and connect it to the little spring button switch under the hand brake.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
914_7T3
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 10 2016, 10:47 AM) *

The brake warning light is also activated by the switch in the master cylinder. When that switch detects a major pressure differential between the front and rear brake circuits, it grounds out and the light in the combo gauge will start blinking.

--DD

@Dave_Darling Is that the case on a '73 as I am in the same boat with no wire to be found and am currently in the process of reinstalling the E-Brake.

Will need to verify with @ValcoOscar if he recalls there being a wire when we disassembled in Oct 2017. w00t.gif Yikes its been a long time!
76-914
Look inside the channel. They will only stick out a few inches and easily drop back into the channel when moved or bumped. I looked for a long time before I decided to dig around inside the channel with a coat hanger and snagged it. It will connects in the tunnel.
EDIT: I just read where you state there is no wire in the channel. No problem. Run a new one. beerchug.gif
SirAndy
The brown/white wire for the handbrake switch should come out of the main center tunnel loom near the rear firewall and run behind the backpad and around the back of the drivers seat to the handbrake handle.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...st&p=180983

idea.gif

914_7T3
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 7 2019, 04:24 PM) *

Look inside the channel. They will only stick out a few inches and easily drop back into the channel when moved or bumped. I looked for a long time before I decided to dig around inside the channel with a coat hanger and snagged it. It will connects in the tunnel.
EDIT: I just read where you state there is no wire in the channel. No problem. Run a new one. beerchug.gif

@76-914 Thanks, I will look again now that I know what I'm looking for. Will update the thread once I get in there.
914_7T3
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ May 7 2019, 05:08 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 7 2019, 04:24 PM) *

@76-914 Thanks, I will look again now that I know what I'm looking for. Will update the thread once I get in there.

Found it!

first.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.