Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stock Oil Pump Won't Fit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
I have the case buttoned up and torqued to spec for the 2056. The rotating assembly and the cam move like they should. I had a little trouble getting the oil pick up tube alignment but everything else is smooth. Next I dropped the drain sump cover and screen in. Moved on to put the taco plate and sender in. Up next was to install the oil pump, NOT happening headbang.gif . So I look at everything and it looks ok, I don't see any to keep it from going in. I know it is a snug fit . I took the pump over to the wire wheel and evenly buffed around the pump housing 3 different times. Put some lube on the housing and the case, still no go. Case was line bored but it should not have made and difference in the oil pump area.

Keep buffing it down?

jeffdon
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 12 2016, 04:36 PM) *

I have the case buttoned up and torqued to spec for the 2056. The rotating assembly and the cam move like they should. I had a little trouble getting the oil pick up tube alignment but everything else is smooth. Next I dropped the drain sump cover and screen in. Moved on to put the taco plate and sender in. Up next was to install the oil pump, NOT happening headbang.gif . So I look at everything and it looks ok, I don't see any to keep it from going in. I know it is a snug fit . I took the pump over to the wire wheel and evenly buffed around the pump housing 3 different times. Put some lube on the housing and the case, still no go. Case was line bored but it should not have made and difference in the oil pump area.

Keep buffing it down?

Stop buffing. Make sure the pump drive tang is slotting into the cam. Hell, make sure the pump is going in right side up. Try loosening the case bolts on either side of the pump. Do not force it, but it may take some gentler "persuasion" to fully seat.
McMark
agree.gif
914Sixer
This is not my 1st build. I have done about 15 engines. Pump is right side up and tang is lined up with camshaft. I will loosen up the case bolts tomorrow. I have never had to do that before.
914_teener
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 12 2016, 09:08 PM) *

This is not my 1st build. I have done about 15 engines. Pump is right side up and tang is lined up with camshaft. I will loosen up the case bolts tomorrow. I have never had to do that before.

Cam thrust right?
r_towle
It happens.
Did they mill the case halves?
Otherwise, measure it and see if it will fit, then loosen the bolts.
r_towle
And?
914Sixer
Waiting on case spliter for oil pump. Should be here tomorrow. Case would not budge. Did not want to mess up anything having spent $600 on having case machined.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 19 2016, 03:56 AM) *

Waiting on case spliter for oil pump. Should be here tomorrow. Case would not budge. Did not want to mess up anything having spent $600 on having case machined.

popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.