Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New GB - Heater cables - CORRECT LENGTH - 70-74, YOU NEED THIS!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
Again, I've been asked to make correct length heater cables. Apparently the ones on the market are a little too short. These have to be exactly the correct length otherwise they don't reach, and if they are too long the bind up in the flapper arm assembly and will not allow full travel of the flapper, making your heat on not fully on when selected.

These will be nylon coated cables pre-bent for the install at the lever. I've also included 2 free heater cable nipples to seal up the tubes while you are there.

So, who's interested?

These will be ready in about a week.
And who can resist free nipples?

Making the 70-74, and the 75-75 version
banananose914
I am in. This is another thing to add to my lengthy 914rubber list
barefoot
I'm in
can't seem to find anyone parting one out that has any
Barefoot
TX914
Interested. But for me they really must fit my 76.
dlee6204
IN. Just broke mine the other day trying to remove it.
76-914
One of the few things I won't be buying from you Mark! rolleyes.gif
mepstein
I need one
bdstone914
There are three different part numbers for the heater cables.

91442407500 914-6

PCG42407501 1970-1974 914

91442407503 1975-1976 914

Are you making all three ?

I am not aware of aftermarket suppliers of this part. I did buy a new Porsche one. I may have got the wring part number as the length of each side were wrong. Rebent it to be correct for one side and had to put some zig zags on the other side to take up the extra length.

Also the Porsche one did not have the plastic coating like the original one.

Are yours going to have the coating ?

Bruce
mepstein
The last one I bought did not have the plastic coating. I liberally coated the cable with water proof grease. It would be nice to have a real coated cable.
Mikey914
I have the sample which I will be having fit shortly. The OEM one in the picture has a thin coating you can see it if you look closely at the picture. Metal on metal in the tubes can never be a good thing. Main reason I wanted to use coated.

As far as the 3 different cable numbers. I can make these at any length as we actually make these, so I'd be interested to send a few out to get confirmation. My car that we will be fitting is a 75, so 75-76 will be covered.

Anyone have a 6 cable for reference? Also looking for a 74 or earlier, and we will make them all correctly.
76-914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 16 2016, 08:40 AM) *

I have the sample which I will be having fit shortly. The OEM one in the picture has a thin coating you can see it if you look closely at the picture. Metal on metal in the tubes can never be a good thing. Main reason I wanted to use coated.

As far as the 3 different cable numbers. I can make these at any length as we actually make these, so I'd be interested to send a few out to get confirmation. My car that we will be fitting is a 75, so 75-76 will be covered.

Anyone have a 6 cable for reference? Also looking for a 74 or earlier, and we will make them all correctly.

Mark, the one OEM one in the pic is off a '73.
Mikey914
That's good, because it it is, I have the one from my 75 and I would have the 2 parts to make these.
How can you tell? Looks like an appearance group lever, but that could be later.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 16 2016, 09:28 AM) *

That's good, because it it is, I have the one from my 75 and I would have the 2 parts to make these.
How can you tell? Looks like an appearance group lever, but that could be later.

The difference in the cables is the length and the lever pictured is non console type.
Rob-O
I'll take one for a '74.
76-914

Mark, I assume it is because it came off my '73 after it decided it liked H2O more than O2. biggrin.gif
rjames
Is the difference in length from early to late cars because a different flapper box was used in the later cars?
Valy
One 74 please
Mikey914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 16 2016, 05:47 PM) *

Mark, I assume it is because it came off my '73 after it decided it liked H2O more than O2. biggrin.gif

Duhh! I forgot...... Thought there was some magic way that you could tell from the picture because I was stumped.
Mikey914
1st one (early) sent out for test fitting today. Hopefully, an evaluation of it will be this weekend. Should have Friday (ish). Went out priority mail.
I think we have it spot on, but lets see what the results are.

We did make these with nylon coated wires. The OEM were also coated, it was slightly thinner, but not a raw steel cable rubbing inside the tube like the current one (that didn't fit). I could cut my price in half if I used the less expensive cable, but do you really want steel rubbing on steel in the enter tunnel? Ours will at least provide a barrier.
raynekat
I'm in...
gcrotvik
In for 2 sets!
walterolin
One set, 1970-4
sbsix
Mark I need one for a 914-6. Has anyone come forward with a template yet?
Mikey914
QUOTE(sbsix @ Jul 14 2016, 07:58 AM) *

Mark I need one for a 914-6. Has anyone come forward with a template yet?

Not yet. We could try the early and modify from there. Or I would work with you to template it.
sbsix
Sent you a PM. I'll pull out the new one I have and measure it and let you know.
sbsix
Pictures with measurements from a new cable I have. Really not sure if it is actually one that fits a 914-6. There is a little slack in the cable, so the actual length is slightly more than shown.

I'll take the cable off of my six this weekend and post the results on this thread.
Mikey914
Thanks we will be ready to start production this next week.
Mark
ovation919
I am interested in the 1974 version.
mapguy
Need 2 for a '74.
sbsix
The picture of the length of the original heater cable from my 914-6 is attached. I sent this on to Mark.
Mikey914
We will be starting to assemble these later this week
TX914
Mark,
How did the cable you made for your 75 work out? Does it have back-dated exhaust? What are the lengths of the driver & passenger side?
I’m interested in a new cable for my ’76 which has back-dated exhaust (SSI exchangers and J tubes) and a NOS passenger flapper box.
I read from another post that an early cable (70-74, 38 x 40?) should be used for back-dated exhaust.
However I am using a cable that measures 38 ¾ (say 39) x 41 with a piece clamped onto the long (passenger) side to make it 43”. That doesn’t seem to match any length previously discussed.

Interested to know what lengths others with back-dated exhaust are using before I order one.

This is some weird business as I have 3 old cables that measure 38 x 40 ¼ (70-74), 39 x 41 ¾ and 38 ½ x 41 (with some small error due to measuring old cables with bends). If late model cable is reportedly shorter that early, and /6 shorter still, what application is a 38+ x 41+ for? Hope I'm not confusing things further...
Click to view attachment
80cap
I don't know how I missed this thread! I just bought a 70 thru 74 cable from Stoddard's.
I was told it is longer than my 76 cable but you can make it work by twisting the wire at the control handle. Is this true?
Thanks Brian
Mikey914
I'm sure you could twist it, but will it become unraveled over time? Best bet is to cut and braze to correct legnth.

These are actually just comming into production today as we changed the material due to some feedback on the 1st one we sent out. the cable was not stout enough to not kink when it was pushed through the tunnel. We now have the galvanized wire like brand X and offer an option for a coated cable. Pics to follow tomorrow. Cables fit fine on my 75, and using a known good early. the dimmensions fit on the earlys just went to a better wire.

So anyone who's interested we will start sending the codes out tomorrow to all that have resopnded on the thread.

-Mark
Mikey914
You will need to bump the thread to get the code, so if you want to be included Now's the time.
TX914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 17 2016, 04:57 PM) *

I'm sure you could twist it, but will it become unraveled over time? Best bet is to cut and braze to correct legnth.

These are actually just comming into production today as we changed the material due to some feedback on the 1st one we sent out. the cable was not stout enough to not kink when it was pushed through the tunnel. We now have the galvanized wire like brand X and offer an option for a coated cable. Pics to follow tomorrow. Cables fit fine on my 75, and using a known good early. the dimmensions fit on the earlys just went to a better wire.

So anyone who's interested we will start sending the codes out tomorrow to all that have resopnded on the thread.

-Mark

Mark, Is your 75 stock exhaust or back-dated? Any ideas on lengths for 76 with back-dated exhaust? Thanks.
Mikey914
QUOTE(TX914 @ Aug 17 2016, 04:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 17 2016, 04:57 PM) *

-Mark

Mark, Is your 75 stock exhaust or back-dated? Any ideas on lengths for 76 with back-dated exhaust? Thanks.

Mine is not backdated, it is longer. If you know your lengths, I can make sure you get the correct one.
I suspect yours may be the shorter one.
mepstein
I want an early coated one. Thanks
Mikey914
We will be making the

914/6 version
Early - 70-74
and
Late - 75-76

We will be making 2 versions -
The bare cable like others that is a few bucks less, as well as the better product with the coated cables to not wear in the tunnel.
ThinAir
icon_bump.gif
I'm in for the coated ones.
1973 4 cylinder with center console.
Rob-O
icon_bump.gif

In for '74 with coated wire. Center console but I don't think that makes a difference.
buck toenges
I'll take a coated one for a '71.

Thanks,
Buck
Mikey914
We will have these listed by Monday. Doing some production this weekend.
Bump if you want the code
Mikey914
Codes sent to all on thread so far.

Made coated and un coated versions . All are up on site now.
Thanks to all!
rmdinmd
icon_bump.gif
DEC
icon_bump.gif

I'm in
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.