Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intermittent Wiper Relay details
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
Here is the entire harness and the relay...
Aaron Cox
i can make that..... just need the relay socket..... and a relay... what does it plug into?
have a schematic?
Qarl
Here is a close up of the relay...

Here is the connection order starting at the top and going clockwise.

I am looking at the bottom of the relay where the pins are...

Pin 15 (top) goes to red
Pin S (3 o'clock) is not connected
Pin 53N (6 o'clock) goes to blue/black
Pin 31 (9 o'clock) goes to brown

The center pin 53S goes to white.

Qarl
Here are the end connectors...

Qarl
Another...
Qarl
The harness is part number 914.612.148.10

The relay receptical on the harness has the following part number on it 3 334 485 008

The relay is shown below...

ewdysar
Hey, does anyone know where to get those cool push-on connectors with the built in jumper tab? I'd rather use those than cramming two wires into one connector. smash.gif

Eric
Qarl
They are called piggyback connectors.

I had purchased some a while back when making the resistor packs for the LEDs

Aaron Cox
relays are available new....

i need to find out where i can buy the harness....

were they installed on a VW of some sort?
Qarl
With the info I gave you, you can find the harness (or one close to it) for only 0.75. All you need to do is add the connectors.

I know where you can get the relays for $10.00

Hint: Google in the part numbers I gave you.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Qarl @ Apr 6 2005, 06:55 PM)
With the info I gave you, you can find the harness (or one close to it) for only 0.75. All you need to do is add the connectors.

I know where you can get the relays for $10.00

Hint: Google in the part numbers I gave you.

you rock karl....
Qarl
Because Aaron is a moron and doesn't know how to use Google...

Relays listed here... http://www.flatsixonline.com/477.htm

(I assume they are available if they are listed).

Harness...

http://www.tessco.com/products/displaySkus...9&subgroupId=63

Just scroll down until you see the part number. The harness is just the socket, but I "think" the one a that top of the grouping that beins with the 6 is the same socket with wires already installed. All you would need to do is add the terminals and you're done!

Qarl
Just kidding Aaron...

You DO know how to use Google, I'm sure.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Qarl @ Apr 6 2005, 07:18 PM)
Because Aaron is a moron and doesn't know how to use Google...

thanks qarl....i guess.... sad2.gif
IronHillRestorations
OK, so how do you get the damn thing to work?

I put one on a customer's car and we got: high, low, intermittent, but at the off position it was still intermittent.

Unplug the relay and it would work on high, low, and off, but not park by itself.

We changed out three relays, one of which I know was good, and it didn't make any difference.

Ideas???
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (9146986 @ Apr 6 2005, 07:55 PM)
OK, so how do you get the damn thing to work?

I put one on a customer's car and we got: high, low, intermittent, but at the off position it was still intermittent.

Unplug the relay and it would work on high, low, and off, but not park by itself.

We changed out three relays, one of which I know was good, and it didn't make any difference.

Ideas???

wired wrong? switch is f-ed?
Qarl
And you broke the tab off on the wiper switch, right?

Also, I understand that the relay pictures is for 1973-1976,

I believe there is a different relay for the 1970 to 1972 cars.
JmuRiz
So...what wires do these connect to? I'm still lost confused24.gif
Maybe once you get it all connecte and working a writeup is in order, it'd be great to have intermittent wipers.
Qarl
I think SirAndy did one in the Classic Thread forum...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...t=ST&f=5&t=2094

JeffBowlsby
Cool thread. I have everything I need to produce these harnesses to match the OEM. They are pretty simple but I would only use the correct color coded wires, the correct relay base (Qarl that link you posted is not the right part or at least the photo is not right), and quality wire terminals. How about that single pole box housing? Got that new too.

Hey if anyone is interested I might be persuaded to do a run of these to save costs for everyone. I would probably put together the harness/relay and instructions in 1 package to save running around.

But NOT till after the WCC...and I don't have the costs figured out yet...but it wouldn't be too bad.

Let me know if you are interested... biggrin.gif
brownaar
Jeff,
Go for it. I think you would have plenty of takers, myself included.
I have a question while we're at it. For anyone that has upgraded to an electric washer pump with a newer wiper switch.......does the newer switch have the same ability to set up for intermittent wipe? I'd like to do both, the electric pump and the intermittent setup.

Aaron
nickg
qarl, what is the part # on the block? molede in, i can make the harness but the makes it look factory
ChrisFix
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Apr 6 2005, 08:57 PM)

Let me know if you are interested... biggrin.gif

Sign me up, I'll take one! If you really think you might make this, please put me on your list for when they're completed. I want one.... clap.gif
jim_hoyland
Good Point Aaron:

Many cars have upgraded the switches to handle the elecric washers.

Anyone know whether the intermittent relay set up will be compatible ??

I believe my car has a 924 or jetta wiper switch...definately not the original.
brownaar
I know it's been suggested elsewhere you can just run the electric washer pump off the intermittent cycle, but that seems to be a suboptimal solution at best.

Aaron
Bleyseng
That six block is the same as the rear trunk smog relay on the 75-76 cars. Look in the trunk under the latch for 'em.

Yep, I would be interested in the wiring harness as I have the other parts laying around.
Which tab do you break off in the wiper switch?? Show a pic of this please. (this is why you get high,low, intermittant and still on). The real intermittant switches are high, low, inter and off, four settings switches.

Geoff
McMark
I'm in Jeff. For more than one. I'd like to have a few extras for customer cars. I'll be sending the KitCarlson harness after WCC. So get ready. biggrin.gif
JmuRiz
I'd be in for one too!
mack914
I three!!! wacko.gif
JeffBowlsby
There seems to be a good interest...I will plan to make up an initial run of ten or so after the WCC. Will post again when they are ready to ship.

driving.gif
brownaar
Another question to ponder......
This thread shows a 4-wire harness, but the Classic thread
Wiper Relay Instructions
talks of a 5-wire harness. What is correct?

Aaron
Aaron Cox
yes...

you need the genuine 4 position switch....
high low intermittent and off
Rog914
brownaar,
the fifth wire is buried in the harness close to where you place the relay plug. I beleive it a brown wire I think. If you look at the harness (on 73 to 76) around where the wiper motor wires are and follow them back toward the outside of the car you should see a wire looped back. Follow & feel the harness for a small hump. That's where the "fifth" terminal will be. You'll have to unwarp or very carefully cut the harness to get it. When you get it out it will snap into the empty spot on the relay plug.

It can be a pain trying to find it, just take your time.

Ralph

74 2.0
markb
Hi Jeff. Anything happening with this?
jim_hoyland
Two questions:

Is there a test that can be performed with a voltmeter on the relay's wiring that would verify everything will be hunky-dory and avoid the problem described above.

And, I had a Jetta wiper switch installed when I converted to electric washer pump. Can the relay/harness still be used ?
Bleyseng
Which tab do you break off on the switch?? Show a pic.
GaroldShaffer
Count me in for this if it could be done on a 70 914?
fiid
Small hijack..... I got a programmable later VW relay. It has an extra pin on it marked "I". I bent that pin to the side and plugged it in (it fits in the harness socket). So now my wipers auto-park, and they do the "3 wipes on wash" thing - both are functions that didn't work before. But I have no intermittent. I have a 924 washer stalk as well - and I had to do some mods to get that to fit in the 914 IIRC.

Anyone seen this type of relay before - or know what my dealio is?

TIA.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.