Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: petronix or points
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mark Henry
Personally I won't use a pertronix on my car, to me it's funny to hear peeps tout something as modern, then put it on a dizzy that is 100+ year old tech.
I realize the d-jet guys don't have a choice.

I would install a megajolt/e, even though it's more money and work. The programmable box is $150 to $215 depending on options and you will need a trigger wheel, sensor and the ford module and coil. If you're thrifty you can get most of those things from a scrapyard.

That said, on my new six will be running a twin plug dizzy (the Patrick unit) that I got for a song.
I believe it has a MSD pickup.
iankarr
I think pertronix is hedging their bet on that one. When I installed a pII in my mustang 6 years ago, IIRC the instructions said not to leave the ignition on without the engine running for more than 30 seconds. Now, the faq on their website says "can" and "may"..

Q. What happens if you leave the ignition switch on when the engine is not running? A. This can cause your coil to overheat, which may cause permanent damage to the coil and the ignitor.

Regarding the points vs electronic debate, it's like comparing battery powered watches to wind-ups. Both work...it's a matter of personal preference. But the facts are clear. Points have more failure...er...points because there are moving parts and wear combines with manufacturing quality and mechanical adjustment to determine longevity. Electronic auto-adjusts and has fewer failure points, but when they go, they go digitally...as in one minute they work perfectly, the next they're totally dead.

I run the accel unit in my unilite and it works great. About half the price of the pertronix so you can get two and keep a spare in your glove box.
colingreene
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 1 2016, 01:17 PM) *

It appears that only one responder likes points. Hmmm shades.gif . Or as Vulgaris points out, maybe he didn't read the instructions! Anyway +1 on Petronics. Ran them in 3 vehicles w/o a hitch. 9 yr's in one car. I would like to ask those that carry a set of points & condenser if they also carry a timing light & dwell meter to set them with. Didn't think so, except maybe Brandt who carries spare engines with him lol-2.gif av-943.gif . It's easier & smarter to carry an extra Petronics unit with ya.

You know weirdly I can actually read.
Again with on two seperate cars.
And Ill further elaborate, both failures i had were straight out of the box, both were sent back to the manufacture and tested "good" according to them.
So tell me again how i did not read the instructions.
StratPlayer
I just picked up my car with the new 123 distributor in it and the tangerine racing shift kit installed. The engine is a 2056, org. cylinders bored out to 96mm, Keith Black pistons, Hastings rings. Before the new distributor was installed, the car would hunt at idle, couldn't find any vac. leaks any where. The engine would have a hesitation in it once in a while. Hard to adjust the idle. New distributor installed, no more hunting at idle, no more hesitation what so ever, idle stays exactly where you set it. Great product for the D jet folks that are using a 40 year old distributor. NO trigger points..........

The car was getting very sloppy shifting, that's over.. Car shifts better than new, no more hunting for gears....

I'm very happy with these upgrades, especially the 123 distributor.

Eric Shea from PMB will be doing a write up with pics on the distributor install.

I'm a happy camper. piratenanner.gif driving.gif smilie_pokal.gif
6freak
QUOTE(colingreene @ Jul 7 2016, 11:44 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 1 2016, 01:17 PM) *

It appears that only one responder likes points. Hmmm shades.gif . Or as Vulgaris points out, maybe he didn't read the instructions! Anyway +1 on Petronics. Ran them in 3 vehicles w/o a hitch. 9 yr's in one car. I would like to ask those that carry a set of points & condenser if they also carry a timing light & dwell meter to set them with. Didn't think so, except maybe Brandt who carries spare engines with him lol-2.gif av-943.gif . It's easier & smarter to carry an extra Petronics unit with ya.

You know weirdly I can actually read.
Again with on two seperate cars.
And Ill further elaborate, both failures i had were straight out of the box, both were sent back to the manufacture and tested "good" according to them.
So tell me again how i did not read the instructions.

i read the instructions as well and was told .. i tryed not to leave it to long but was a one man band in the shop that day and was back and forth trying to figure some wires and didnt think i left it on over 30 seconds! Maybe off and right back on is not good either? the car did start it just didnt run worth a beans, after turning it off it wouldnt start again, the cars all wired for it so maybe ill try it again just for kicks
smile.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(Frankvw @ Jul 4 2016, 12:50 AM) *

Click to view attachment
I personally never had points fail on me before. This is a pic of points from my friends car. Although they were new and Bosch, they failed within 100 miles.
No spare points, so stranded. Easy fix, but was about the last part to check, never expected it to fail. He is running a new set of points, but his failure and this points made me think about pertronix or similair setups....

.....Play the Lotto!

bye1.gif
Cuda911
Well, I went and had Pertronix installed today.

Warren, I will mail you back the distributor I borrowed in Flagstaff. Thanks again!
76-914
Any noticeable difference in starting or idle? biggrin.gif
Cuda911
Starts the same. Idle is smooth, have set it at about 1,200. So far I've only drive the car about 5 miles since the install.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.