Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: petronix or points
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
hndyhrr
Ok, so i will start by saying i am out for the season as far as wrenching on car as i busted my wrist 3 weeks ago. Am going to have to put pumpkin(70, 1.7, fi) in shop to have dizzy changed and figured i would ask about petronix vs points.

please give me your thoughts on this and who to buy from.

thanks

Renee
Jason74914
Just installed Pertronix Ignitor II. I'm having other issues so couldn't drive it, but made the idle super smooth, plus no longer have to worry about points/condenser/dwell.

Found best price at Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Pertronix-91847V-Ign...ds=pertronix+vw

I've seen some posts about how the magnet didn't go down far enough, and they had to modify the rotor. When I put mine on at first it seemed the magnet donut did not go down far enough on the shaft to match up with the sender. I pushed it down by hand until it seemed snug. However, I lightly tapped down on it (used a socket extension along edges of magnet, and tapped on it gently) and it pushed down further until is was perfectly aligned with sender. FYI, I did not need to use the spacer plate that came with the kit.

This link has some more info on part #'s at post #4.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=287203&hl=
colingreene
i had nothing but problems with pertronix, i went through 3 of them on two different cars.
went back to points its been fine.
timothy_nd28
With the off chance of driving through a nuclear EMP pulse, I say mechanical points is the way to go driving.gif
StratPlayer
I have a 123 ignition on it's way... Will let you know how it turns out..
era vulgaris
I'll take electronic ignition over points every day of the week. The MOST important thing to remember about Pertronix units, is DO NOT leave your key in the 'on' position with the engine not running for more than 3 seconds, or you will burn up the Pertronix unit. It's in the Pertronix manual, but I think most people don't RTFM and that's why they have problems with them.

IMO, pertronix is great. Set and forget. I've used them in every previous classic car that I've owned.
If it's in your budget though, a Mallory Unilite is the way to go! I have one on my current car and like it even more than the pertronix.
pete000
I have Pertronix in my car for a while now with no issues. I did not really notice any improvement in idle or performance. I do like it is maintenance free and the dwell does not need to be adjusted.

I would love to have the 123 digital distributor, but they are big bucks ! Maybe someday.

pete000
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Jun 16 2016, 10:35 AM) *

Please post your experience with the 123 distributor when you get it !!!!

Installation, etc...
MarkV
It's 2016 and I refuse to run points. If you go with the Pertronix II it has built in protection for leaving the ignition on. It also has protection built in so that if you accidentally short it out it wont fry.They make a matching low impedence coil that works well and makes for a hotter spark.
JoeD
QUOTE(pete000 @ Jun 16 2016, 01:44 PM) *

Installation, etc...

agree.gif Been watching that space. Would love to hear how it goes.
siverson
QUOTE(pete000 @ Jun 16 2016, 10:44 AM) *

Installation, etc...

x2 Quite interested to learn about that.

I wonder if I would have been better off going with that:

http://123ignitionusa.com/bt-tune-porsche9...nder-2-0-2-2-l/

instead of:

http://www.partsklassik.com/p-1508-cdi-box...d-rpm-7100.aspx

(sounds like you remove the CDI box completely with the 123 system?)

-Steve
ssuperflyoldguy
Switching from points to an electronic ignition is not a question for me. I drove VW up until the middle 90.s - put a pertronix in my bus and never touched in 3 yrs. no begining of driving season tuneup n installing/adjusting points, not a stumble. Ever. Just started right up and went like hell. Well, as much as a carbed 1600 w flowed end castings & nice header would go. People were amazed I drove in fast lane traffic in a bus, a good running bus but hills still slowed me down a bit
ClayPerrine
I have run pertronix in both 914s since the early 80s. The only problem I have ever had with a pertronix was due to my own stupidity. I hooked the module up backwards and it burned out as soon as I turned the key on. But that one had 150,000 + miles on it.

Points, on the other hand, gave us problems. Hence the reason for going to pertronix. The points would not hold dwell, and would close up just driving down the freeway.

Mark Henry
I was a diehard points guy till the pertronix II came out. If you are getting a matching coil and mounting it on the engine get the hi-vibration epoxy filled one. The oil filled coil should be mounted upright on the firewall. The 911 guys have had several failures with a oil filled on the engine.
I'd still carry the old points, condenser and mounting screw in my glove box just in case.

One exception is if you run MSD points are really all you need, as they are just a low voltage trigger and should never wear out. Nothing wrong with using MSD and pertronix, just it isn't really necessary.
eyesright
I built my stock 2.0L several years ago and installed new points. I had to keep adjusting them and then realized the cam follower was wearing down to nothing within 1000 miles. So I bought a new set of points, different brand, and headed out on 1100 mile trip to Michigan. In the rain and cold I nursed it the last 100 miles. I had to take the points out - under a bridge - and file the base to get a little more adjustment out of them, still just barely opening. The next day my friends brought me new points from the NAPA store - small town, only parts store - which ran fine all the way home. Then I bought a Pertronix II and coil. No problems. Have points in glove box.
6freak
I smoked the one I put in the car when I changed engines $120.00 up in smoke..left the key on to long and it burned up or whatever.. ..strait back to points! they wont leave you road side....buddy said just have an extra in the jockey box...F that you ever try and do anything with the dizzy in a 914-6 on the side of the road,its hard enough on flat level ground with good light,let alone in a dark parking lot with little tools...with that said I think the petro gives a cleaner hotter spark with little to no maintanance , just dont leave your key on for any amount of time
MikeC smile.gif
veekry9
Gee,sounds like a thermistor could be used to switch the system automatically.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Jun 16 2016, 09:35 AM) *

Running 123 AWESOME!
stugray
I have a mallory unilite with optical pickup to drive my MSD.
The signal from that is a nice clean +12VDC square wave.

My datalogger can read it directly for RPM while trying that with points will get you a fried microprocessor.
ThinAir
I've run Pertronix for years in 4 different Type IVs and swear by them. My only complaint is that after the Pertronix II came out it wasn't immediately available for the Type IV. Because I knew about not leaving the ignition on I never burned a set and the benefits of not adjusting points was worth the inconvenience. Now that I know where to find the Pertronix II for my Type IV, I'll buy one in a heartbeat if my original goes out.
Spoke
Points/condenser ignition is so archaic at this point in the development of the automobile. I'm running Pertronix II on my 914. One time install; adjust timing; never worry about it.

Oh yeah, I have a set of points/condenser in the trunk just in case. beerchug.gif
Mark Henry
Just to be a dick... biggrin.gif

If you look at unbiased dyno tests there is no HP difference between points, HEI or crankfire systems.
In fact if anything points may have a slight HP gain, but it's too small to be definitive.

Most tests that I've seen on this so far were on mild performance V8s with a 6500-ish redline.
somd914
Running Pertronix in both 914s, no issues with 5 years and 15k miles on the oldest unit.

I don't miss points...

Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 18 2016, 10:34 AM) *
If you look at unbiased dyno tests there is no HP difference between points, HEI or crankfire systems.

That's to be expected. The benefits of an electronic ignition aren't any better power, they are less wear and more consistent operation. Especially in the long term. CDI ignition is good to help igniting very rich mixtures, and to help keep the plugs clean when running rich mixtures.

--DD
worn
QUOTE(somd914 @ Jun 18 2016, 10:16 AM) *

Running Pertronix in both 914s, no issues with 5 years and 15k miles on the oldest unit.

I don't miss points...

I have a Crane unit with optical pickup. Didn't like the sheet metal bracket or plastic chopper wheel so machined them. As some folks know I like to carry a spare dizzy with points loaded and gap set.
StratPlayer
Received my 123 ignition today. I'm heading for lake tahoe Monday morning for a week. Get back on the install when I get back.
StratPlayer
I brought the 123 down to PMB, since I'm having other work done on the car next week they will do the install of the distributor. PMB will do a write up on the install of the distributor..
siverson
> I brought the 123 down to PMB, since I'm having other work done on the car next week they will do the install of the distributor. PMB will do a write up on the install of the distributor..

Looking forward to it...

-Steve
76-914
It appears that only one responder likes points. Hmmm shades.gif . Or as Vulgaris points out, maybe he didn't read the instructions! Anyway +1 on Petronics. Ran them in 3 vehicles w/o a hitch. 9 yr's in one car. I would like to ask those that carry a set of points & condenser if they also carry a timing light & dwell meter to set them with. Didn't think so, except maybe Brandt who carries spare engines with him lol-2.gif av-943.gif . It's easier & smarter to carry an extra Petronics unit with ya.
76-914
It appears that only one responder likes points. Hmmm shades.gif . Or as Vulgaris points out, maybe he didn't read the instructions! shades.gif Anyway +1 on Petronics. Ran them in 3 vehicles w/o a hitch. 9 yr's in one car. I would like to ask those that carry a set of points & condenser if they also carry a timing light & dwell meter on board. Didn't think so, except maybe Brandt who carries everything with him lol-2.gif av-943.gif . It's easier & smarter to carry an extra Petronics unit.
TheCabinetmaker
Hi, my name is curt and I'm a pointaholic. I always carry a set along with a condenser. And a dwell meter. I check dwell about once a month. Takes thirty seconds. If it's off, I readjust. Takes about three minutes. As long as dwell is set the same, no need to check timing or carry a light. I'm old, and old school, and damn proud of it. True, points are not as well made as they used to be, but not much is.
Garland
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jun 16 2016, 11:32 AM) *

With the off chance of driving through a nuclear EMP pulse, I say mechanical points is the way to go driving.gif

I agree!

agree.gif
Darren C
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jul 1 2016, 09:37 PM) *

Hi, my name is curt and I'm a pointaholic.

Hi, my name is Darren and I'm an Alcoholic. At first I thought I was on the wrong forum, then I remembered it was the right forum as it was here that drove me to drink.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Darren C @ Jul 1 2016, 03:53 PM) *

Hi, my name is Darren and I'm an Alcoholic. At first I thought I was on the wrong forum, then I remembered it was the right forum as it was here that drove me to drink.

lol-2.gif drunk.gif
Series9
Step 1 to reliable ignition: Loose the distributor.

Solid state is where it's at.

Computers don't screw up advance or wear out.

Spend a grand and leave your problems behind.....

shades.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(Darren C @ Jul 1 2016, 01:53 PM) *

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif beerchug.gif

So THAT's what happened. blink.gif

Lesson learned. Don't drink and vote.

I hope you're ok with that Darren...my English speaking cousin from across the Pond.

Darren C
Ich war ein europäisch bis zum vergangenen Freitag!
Series9
QUOTE(Darren C @ Jul 1 2016, 05:55 PM) *

How is your status in the EU relevant?

And why make the statement in German?

Did you vote? How did you vote?
Porschef
I think he said it's Friday, and happy hour...

beer.gif

beer3.gif

beerchug.gif

drunk.gif
Darren C
QUOTE(Series9 @ Jul 1 2016, 11:04 PM) *

914 teeners talking about our recent EU vote. I don't think any off us know the status right now Joe.
Until Article 50 is exercised the UK break from the EU isn't "formalized" and many negotiations are yet to be made.
The Brexit camp are hailing it a victory and June 24th as our new July 4th. But now they realize what they've got to deal with Boris Johnson (who was a key leader in the campaign to leave and we all thought would take over, has walked away from the mess)
The Remain camp are obviously in turmoil as they make up most of our current Parliament who don't agree with the result of the vote hence our Prime Ministers resignation.
Labour, the opposition are in mutiny and divided. Most want the leader Corbyn out of the leadership, but he won't let go.

It's a right Royal Mess. Those citizens who voted out of the EU that didn't really know what that would mean, now want a re-vote to change their minds.
Scotland wants full independence from UK now so that they can remain in the EU but only just voted to remain in UK before the referendum.

God knows how it'll all sort itself out.

Life goes on day to day and nothing tangible has changed just yet.

My German is just a joke for 914 teener.....me pretending to still be European
pacman
Points! Had Petronix fail on mine and havent had a problem since switching back to points..
914_teener
QUOTE(Darren C @ Jul 1 2016, 03:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Series9 @ Jul 1 2016, 11:04 PM) *

914 teeners talking about our recent EU vote. I don't think any off us know the status right now Joe.
Until Article 50 is exercised the UK break from the EU isn't "formalized" and many negotiations are yet to be made.
The Brexit camp are hailing it a victory and June 24th as our new July 4th. But now they realize what they've got to deal with Boris Johnson (who was a key leader in the campaign to leave and we all thought would take over, has walked away from the mess)
The Remain camp are obviously in turmoil as they make up most of our current Parliament who don't agree with the result of the vote hence our Prime Ministers resignation.
Labour, the opposition are in mutiny and divided. Most want the leader Corbyn out of the leadership, but he won't let go.

It's a right Royal Mess. Those citizens who voted out of the EU that didn't really know what that would mean, now want a re-vote to change their minds.
Scotland wants full independence from UK now so that they can remain in the EU but only just voted to remain in UK before the referendum.

God knows how it'll all sort itself out.

Life goes on day to day and nothing tangible has changed just yet.

My German is just a joke for 914 teener.....me pretending to still be European

I got it Darren.

Chin up...hang in there.

Heading over to EU in August and I.ll be in London for a couple of days.

I have points BTW and have no problems.

I carry a spare set and haven't had an inkling to go with Pertronix yet.

If it isn't broken don't fix it.
Darren C
Thanks 914 teener.

I currently have Petronix, and points in the glovebox. (but don't take that as a definitive)
During my 914 build I tried and tested both with my analytical approach (much like the EFI fueling graph debate on here previously) to see what the differences/advantages were. With the car wired up to various monitoring devices I tested and measured all things.

It's an OCD thing, once I get my teeth into a project I tear it apart to scrutinize in minute detail so I know it better than it knows itself.

I'm not going to start another Merry-go-round debate based on data streams, to show which is best.
Both methods have good and bad.

Go with what you prefer. They both work.
JamesM
All I know is what I have experienced. In almost 20 years and many 914s I have never had a Pertronix (or any magnetic pickup fail) and I have never had a set of points that didnt eventually fail.

Generally i swap every motor I get over to mag pickup as soon as I put it in car as they have always been bullet-proof and maintenance free, in my most recent case I had a recently rebuilt motor with a brand new set of points that was running beautifully so i figured I would leave well enough alone despite already having purchased a hotspark (figured i would try the cheaper option for once) that was just sitting on my shelf. Long story short I dont think I had 1000 miles on the points before I was left stranded. Next time even if the points are running great, im still swapping them out.
Frankvw
Click to view attachment
I personally never had points fail on me before. This is a pic of points from my friends car. Although they were new and Bosch, they failed within 100 miles.
No spare points, so stranded. Easy fix, but was about the last part to check, never expected it to fail. He is running a new set of points, but his failure and this points made me think about pertronix or similair setups....
veekry9
The single failure I've had with electronic Hall triggered ignition was a worn insulator.
The 22ga wire had been abraded by the movement of the dizzie's advance plate.
Caused a short to gnd,repaired with a razorblade found on the sidewalk!
'80s,about 45mins to restart,I got lucky,actually feeling the wire,the damage on it's bottom.
smile.gif
/
somd914
Obtain a large enough population of data and you will see successes and failures with any component. As I mentioned earlier, I've had good luck with Pertronix as have others. I've had some bad luck with points, such as a new set out of the box that had its contacts plated with a non-conductive plating that had to be filed off in order to work... But I also understand others have had issues with Pertronix, and the earlier production units reportedly had more frequent failures.

Perhaps you want to approach the issue as to whether or not you want to adjust points, and how often will you need to it based on how much you drive. For some adjustment is not an issue, but others would rather not mess with it.
Porschef
QUOTE(Frankvw @ Jul 4 2016, 03:50 AM) *

Just looking at this picture should be enough to understand that points, while a long time in use historically, are just another moving mechanical part that will wear, need adjustment, or eventually fail as demonstrated here. I switched to a Pertronix setup 3 years ago, and will need, at some point, to pull the distributor cap off to change the rotor... dry.gif

But that's it. And should I have the need to leave the key on for ANY length of time, I simply pull the red lead from the coil. smile.gif
Mark Henry
I've had to replace points, but I've also had to replace both a pertronix and a compufire.

Never had a problem with my bug...but then it doesn't even have a distributor. biggrin.gif
BeatNavy
Ok, this thread has convinced me to go the Pertronix route soon.

But if I don't have to check the dwell every now and then, I won't get to reference this classic post every time to make sure I'm doing it right: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...st&p=931289 idea.gif

QUOTE(Porschef @ Jul 4 2016, 08:10 AM) *

But that's it. And should I have the need to leave the key on for ANY length of time, I simply pull the red lead from the coil. smile.gif

That's not an issue anymore with the Ignitor II, correct?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.