Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Working on my 914 all day on Thursday..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
in order of importance...more or less:

remove Mallory distributor and install stock 1.7 dizzy with FI trigger points

clean and test all connections to the engine wiring harness

remove the relay board and inspect/repair/clean as needed

install modified MPS that is tweaked for current 1.8 motor

install brand new batter cables

find or make a new batter hold down clamp

bleed calipers

make the VW Bug tow bar pictured below work on my 914

remove rear shocks/springs, modify the perch to lower the car at least 3/4" or more in the rear since is riding too darn high

depending on how time goes: install front and rear needle bearings

make the RX-7 caliper adapters and mount the billet hubs with big brakes

I'm sure I'll find more items that have to be taken care of so car is road worthy so that'll mean bumping certain to do items off the list......

p914
Ahh the joys of a 30+ year old German automobile huh.gif
I have to question myself screwy.gif sometimes to make sure I'm sane for owning one too.
jonwatts
If you're going the bug-bar route you're free to use my adapter that bolts on in place of the front bumper.

In the past people have attached tow bars to the torsion bar covers but Brad says he's seen that method fail.

Oh, and if you need the bug-bar I have one of those as well. It says "Graciously donated my Mr. Mike Zois" on it.

Mueller
QUOTE (jonwatts @ Apr 6 2005, 09:46 PM)
If you're going the bug-bar route you're free to use my adapter that bolts on in place of the front bumper.

In the past people have attached tow bars to the torsion bar covers but Brad says he's seen that method fail.

Oh, and if you need the bug-bar I have one of those as well. It says "Graciously donated my Mr. Mike Zois" on it.

so your adapter bolts to this style bar so all I'd have to do is bolt your adapter to the car and bolt this to your adapter???

if so, when can I pick it up.....I'm at work right now, I'll be for a few more hours tonight, but I don't think I want to drive down to SJ this evening.....maybe we can meet up on Friday.....

I bought the tow bar tonight, I'll have to read the reciept to see if I can return it....even store credit would work (bugformance)
jonwatts
I'll bring the whole she-bang with me Friday and we can meet at lunch (or whenever).

Mueller
QUOTE (jonwatts @ Apr 6 2005, 11:56 PM)
I'll bring the whole she-bang with me Friday and we can meet at lunch (or whenever).

coolness.......I'll buy lunch chowtime.gif

since you must be bored and cannot sleep, bring it on up to Fremont right now smile.gif

I've had too much coffee tonight so I'll probebly stay here at work for another hour or so before my 1 hour drive home.....
jonwatts
If I bring it now I won't get a free lunch wink.gif

And I have to attempt to be at work early tomorrow. It's all part of my master plan to keep the bosses guessing what I'm up to.

Teknon
QUOTE (Mueller @ Apr 6 2005, 09:33 PM)
in order of importance...more or less:

remove Mallory distributor and install stock 1.7 dizzy with FI trigger points

Mike,

Is your Mallory a Unilite? Why are you repacing it? I'm looking for the best fuel injection dizzy I can use. confused24.gif

Have fun today on your car. blowtorch.gif

Joe
URY914
I fab'd a mounting plate for a modifed bug-bar myself. I made it so the bumper is removed and the bumper mounting holes are used to bolt the mounting bar on.

No drilling reg'd. And it is up high so nothing is dragging the ground when pulling in driveways.

Of course I don't need it now- ain't got nothin' to bolt it to anymore rolleyes.gif

Paul
Demick
Mike

Sounds like you won't be using that towbar. But for those who might be considering making one - get the super beetle tow bar rather than the standard one (standard one is pictured in Mike's post above). You can see that the standard towbar is made to clamp onto some large diameter tubing which would be heavy/awkward to replicate - or you have to make major modifications to the towbar itself.

The super beetle one should be much easier because you shouldn't have to modify the towbar at all - just make the proper bracket that it attaches to. Super beetle towbar pictured below:
user posted image

Mueller
QUOTE (Teknon @ Apr 7 2005, 06:30 AM)
Mike,
Is your Mallory a Unilite? Why are you repacing it? I'm looking for the best fuel injection dizzy I can use. confused24.gif
Have fun today on your car. blowtorch.gif
Joe

typical day off from work for when the wife is at home as well= nothing done to the 914 headbang.gif

I guess working until 1 in morning then not going to bed until 3am puts a slight damper on getting up too early in the morning to start working in the garage.....

once i did get up a 8:30am I had to go rent a cherry picker for the engine I sold, place near me only had one unit which was already rented out, so I had to drive out to the next place which is only 5 miles away but due to a traffic accident, it took 1/2 hour to get there......

finally make it home, and next thing I know, I'm in the backyard doing honey-do's, this takes up a few hours, finally I get back to the garage and spend the rest of the evening cleaning and trying to organize my messy place.....hopefully this weekend I am more productive on the car smash.gif

Joe,

Yes it is a Mallory Unilite, it will not work with D-Jet unless you figure out how to trigger the ECU, I've done it with mine, but I am having some electrical problems with the car, not sure if it's the relay board or my trigger circuit. Right now you have no direct bolt-on option unless you get creative....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.