Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cylinder Head Temperature Sender location?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dgraves
I'm a new owner of a 1974 2.0. Does anyone have a photo of where the Cylinder Head Temperature sending unit is located on the engine? I have a center console gauge that isn't working and the gauge seems to be fine.

Thanks, Dan.
r_towle
The gauge is oil temp . Bottom of motor, taco plate with wire coming out.
If real CHT gauge it's aftermarket so the sensor will be on the other end of the wire plugged into the gauge with no stock location.

The stock cht sensor is passenger side rear of motor, just behind the intake manifold bolt on the rear you will see the wire coming out of the head tin.
dgraves
Thanks, got it. It is an aftermarket CHT.

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 18 2016, 04:38 PM) *

The gauge is oil temp . Bottom of motor, taco plate with wire coming out.
If real CHT gauge it's aftermarket so the sensor will be on the other end of the wire plugged into the gauge with no stock location.

The stock cht sensor is passenger side rear of motor, just behind the intake manifold bolt on the rear you will see the wire coming out of the head tin.

pete000
Usually it is a sensor ring around one of the spark plugs.
wndsnd
Look at Cylinder 3 first.
Mark Henry
Cut off the plug crush washer and replace it with the sender.
2.0 heads are a bit of an clearance issue, but will work if you bend the ring close to plug. On new builds I notch for the sender.
MarkV
If it's a VDO brand it looks like this. It is made to replace the crush washer under one of the spark plugs. It is usually installed on the #3 plug because that cylinder is known to run the hottest. The wire to the sender is not normal vinyl covered wire it has a braided kind of stiff covering. Where the wire attaches to the circular part of the sender it has to be bent to clear the head.

Click to view attachment

RolinkHaus
Update: Installed cylinder head temp sensor, new plugs, wires, cap / rotor. Still sweating fuel from cold start valve, which tested ok and has new gaskets.

Thinking of chucking the whole fuel injection, going to carbs.
Dave_Darling
Don't do that, you'll regret it at some point.

You can remove the hose that goes to the CSV. Cap the fuel rail port that this hose comes from with a bolt of the appropriate size, or use the hose to semi-permanently mount a fuel pressure gauge in the engine bay.

Or replace the CSV; it's not exactly that expensive...

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE(RolinkHaus @ Oct 6 2018, 03:10 PM) *
Update: Installed cylinder head temp sensor, new plugs, wires, cap / rotor. Still sweating fuel from cold start valve, which tested ok and has new gaskets.

Don't be the next DAPO, just don't ...
dry.gif
mct
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 7 2018, 05:27 AM) *

dry.gif

DAPO?
My acronym-solving capabilities are low ATM.
Porschef
QUOTE(mct @ Oct 8 2018, 05:01 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 7 2018, 05:27 AM) *

dry.gif

DAPO?
My acronym-solving capabilities are low ATM.

Dumb Ass Prior/Previous Owner.

Work the bugs out of the FI, it's well worth it.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Porschef @ Oct 8 2018, 02:39 AM) *

agree.gif

The FI can be a bit intimidating at first but i can assure you, once you got it sorted you'll be glad you did.

When i had my 1.7L D-jet, it took me several weeks to get all the bugs sorted out from many years of neglect, but once it was done, the engine ran exceptionally smooth.

Plus, you don't have to worry about elevation. No matter how high (or low) you go, it always starts with the first turn of the key.
driving.gif
Nogoodwithusernames
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 8 2018, 10:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Porschef @ Oct 8 2018, 02:39 AM) *

agree.gif

The FI can be a bit intimidating at first but i can assure you, once you got it sorted you'll be glad you did.

When i had my 1.7L D-jet, it took me several weeks to get all the bugs sorted out from many years of neglect, but once it was done, the engine ran exceptionally smooth.

Plus, you don't have to worry about elevation. No matter how high (or low) you go, it always starts with the first turn of the key.
driving.gif

agree.gif
D-jet may seem pretty complicated at first but I really like it. I put aftermarket injection in my squareback but I want to put the stock D-jet back on when I rebuild the original motor. It's a nice system to drive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.