Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 195/50×R15
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BeemerSteve
I just got a great deal on Kumho Ecsta AST 195/50×R15 tires that I couldn't pass up. Has anyone else used these on their 914? I know the speedo will be way off and the car now is maybe way too low but will they work okay? Need feedback from anyone else that used or uses the same size.
Thanks!!!!
Racer
Work? yes. Will you like them? maybe. They were fine when I was AX'ing, but the drives to/from were painful. Car was running a couple hundred rpm higher when cruising after swapping from a 195/60.
Mark Henry
To me they just look odd, confused24.gif I like a tire that fills up the wheelwell.

195/65-15 looks proper, on my car I'm going to run 205/60-15 I'm hoping I don't have to roll the fenders.
BeemerSteve
Thanks for the input! I'll run them for awhile see if I like them....if not I can always go back to my 195/60×15
pete000
Speedometer will be off.

I like the look it really lowers the car, great for autocross because it lowers your gearing for short courses.

I ended up running 60 series to be in the middle.
Tom_T
QUOTE(pete000 @ Jun 24 2016, 08:56 AM) *

Speedometer will be off.

I like the look it really lowers the car, great for autocross because it lowers your gearing for short courses.

I ended up running 60 series to be in the middle.

Odometer too - so you'll add on significant "ghost mileage" to the car with them. Go to one of the online tire size change calculators to see just how much. IIRC it's around 10-12% more at both speedo & odo.

You may also have tire clearance & rubbing issues F & R, & may lose a bit of turning ability lock-to-lock unless you use spacers & pulled/flared/rolled fenders F & R. With stock set-up in front & adding the 50s you'll hit the inner wheel well at full turn locked-up all the way (or before).

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Chris Pincetich
I had them for 2 years. Low and sporty! beerchug.gif
Now my 914 is less cafe racer and more commuter, so I have 195/65s biggrin.gif
smokey
195/55/15

365.00 mounted balanced
Thunder
beerchug.gif

smoke.gif
Dave_Darling

Speedometer will be off.

Exactly this! Great gearing for most autoX courses, shorter sidewalls meaning more feedback from the road, more grip probably from the car being closer to the ground. Harsher ride (slightly), more RPMs turned on the freeway to keep up with traffic, slightly worse fuel economy.

--DD
green914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 24 2016, 02:29 PM) *

Speedometer will be off.

Exactly this! Great gearing for most autoX courses, shorter sidewalls meaning more feedback from the road, more grip probably from the car being closer to the ground. Harsher ride (slightly), more RPMs turned on the freeway to keep up with traffic, slightly worse fuel economy.

--DD

I am running with Toyo Proxes 195X55 - agree.gif Dave covered the pros and cons.
I'm happy with the how they perform.
BeemerSteve
I kinda figured most all that's been said....I plan to have another set of 60's for traveling. No clearance issues because I have spacers in the front although the transition from driveway to garage pad had a bit of dragging on the left corner underneath. I put a board across that area to help the transition.
It really does feel cafe bike ish. biggrin.gif
Mueller
Curious if any of these tire combos are on rims wider than 5.5 (assuming OP is running 5.5 wide rims)
steuspeed
I have 195-55-15s and I would not want to go any smaller. I like my acceleration, but 5th gear is not tall enough now. I don't drive on the hwy much, so it's livable.
jcd914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 24 2016, 05:55 PM) *

Curious if any of these tire combos are on rims wider than 5.5 (assuming OP is running 5.5 wide rims)

I have run 195/60-15s on both 6x15 and 7x15 cookie cutters.
205/50-15s worked on 6x15s and did not clear in rear on 7x15s.

Jim
Garland
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 23 2016, 08:47 PM) *

To me they just look odd, confused24.gif I like a tire that fills up the wheelwell.

195/65-15 looks proper, on my car I'm going to run 205/60-15 I'm hoping I don't have to roll the fenders.

I like, 205/65-15 around fills out well.

Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
205 60 15 here on 4 bolt Fuchs. Speedo reads 3% high.
Gunn1
These Michelins on my 74 seem to have a pretty decent ride, handle well, and there dosent appear to be any speedo error.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
stv951
I have issues with 7x15 195s on the rear
They dont rub. They touch the fenders permanently and the car is undrivable
Wheels are cookie cutters.
How did you guys fit these. I cant drive it now
Mueller
QUOTE(stv951 @ Jun 26 2016, 01:55 AM) *

I have issues with 7x15 195s on the rear
They dont rub. They touch the fenders permanently and the car is undrivable
Wheels are cookie cutters.
How did you guys fit these. I cant drive it now

See your other post.

Something has to be modified, the wheels changed or the fenders pulled out. I'm running 205s on 7s but have a custom offset which is larger than the 23mm you have.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.