Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 2.0 accelerations issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chrisf
Hey guys,
I have a 1973 2.0 original injection system. The issue is this, from a stop the car nearly dies as it tries to accelerate. The only way is to rev the engine above 2,5k and slip the clutch. Once the car is above the 2,5k ish mark it drives great. It idles greats, it just does not accelerate like a dead spot. I checked the throttle switch adjustment as per the pelican instructions and one thing that I noticed was that when I turn it all the way ccw and then move it till I get zero, I get now resistance aka open at the full ccw and then when turning I get nothing till halfway and then i get a closed contact. It seems like there's no resistance just an open and close point? I'm thinking its the throttle switch and opening it to check it out?

Thanks for the help
TheCabinetmaker
Have you checked the dwell? This is a symptom of not enough point gap. Did you set the tps with throttle completely closed?
chrisf
I haven't checked the point gap but will check that and the timing also. The throttle switch was adjusted with the throttle closed. Thanks for the info will get back to you guys to see what I find with the point gap.
Amphicar770
When my TPS Board started going bad it would stumble and buck on acceleration at a point between idle and some level of RPM. Replaced it with he kit from 914Rubber and all good.
Gunn1
You also may want to check for an intermittent vacuum leak
steuspeed
I second a vacuum leak. Once you get above a certain RPM the leak is overcome by larger volume of air moving through the intake/system. Squeeze and bend all your hoses and look for rot. Check every clamp. I had the exact same performance issue on my Scirocco CIS injection. Between 2-3K it studdered. Above 3K it ran like a champ. Once I discovered the rotten hose it's never run better. It was slowly going bad over the years.
chrisf
Thanks guys for more info, I'll have a few things to check out hopefully this weekend.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.