Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: third brake light wiring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
keely444
I want to see if I could tap into a Black / Yellow brake light wire around the pedal area inside the car. I am using a led stripe for the third light and I want to keep everything in the inside of the car. I don't have any wiring diagrams so I was looking for some help. I aleady tested it all out back at the tail light terminal and it all works fine back there. I tried a tap and the light is constant on and no affect when I push the brake pedal. Not to protectant in the electrical areas.
Creamsicle New Zealand
I need to run a third break light for my compliance, was looking at running the wire from one of the rear tail light units as there are push on electrical fittings so just need the add a piggy back fitting which will easy then run the wiring as discreetly as possible with the existing wiring loom to the third light, I'm looking at interior third light so will be able to run the wires behind rear panel (behind seats). I would rather not have to do it but our laws state I must.
Let me know what you end up doing.
Steve
Creamsicle New Zealand
QUOTE(keely444 @ Jun 26 2016, 01:57 PM) *

I want to see if I could tap into a Black / Yellow brake light wire around the pedal area inside the car. I am using a led stripe for the third light and I want to keep everything in the inside of the car. I don't have any wiring diagrams so I was looking for some help. I aleady tested it all out back at the tail light terminal and it all works fine back there. I tried a tap and the light is constant on and no affect when I push the brake pedal. Not to protectant in the electrical areas.

You could be hooking into the wrong side of the switch?
era vulgaris
QUOTE(Creamsicle New Zealand @ Jun 26 2016, 07:03 PM) *

agree.gif

Looking at this diagram for a '73 (not sure what year yours is), there is a black/yellow wire coming from the fuse panel to the switch, and then another black/yellow wire from the switch to the brake lights. You probably tapped into the one coming from the fuse panel. Try the other one. (35 is the brake light switch, and 14 are the brake lights.)

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/Elec...lectric_73A.jpg
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/Elec...lectric_73B.jpg

Also here are some more schematics for different years:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914_electrical_diagrams.htm
Amphicar770
I tapped my 3rd brake light into the wiring that goes into the brake light itself at rear of car. Simple and effective. The LED draws very little power.
keely444
QUOTE(Creamsicle New Zealand @ Jun 26 2016, 04:03 PM) *

QUOTE(keely444 @ Jun 26 2016, 01:57 PM) *

That was it. I will post pics once I put it all together.I did some more reading and my brain clicked on.
toolguy
Intercept the wire from the brake switch in the harness between the seats under the center tray.
bandjoey
Pigtail onto a brake light and run the wires up the harness to the rolbar or wherever the light is. 15 minutes and you're in business.
dangrouche
here is my instrux for giving juice to your 3rd brake lite from the rear lamp housing; look at the second picture

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=212499
keely444
Got most of it done. I did this on my other car and really like it.With every other driver playing on their phone and SUV 's that cant see you it gives you a fighting chance not to get your classic rear ended.I also like how discrete it is when its not lit up.Most people would never notice its on your Porsche. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.