Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny pulled
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
catsltd
Pulled the tranny,Thanks for the help.

Pulled the pressure plate and clutch disc off,whats the problem.
Im guessing the throw out bearing but sorry have no idea what to look for.
Throw out bearing just slides on the shaft,no pressure,dont know what it might be missing,or what to look for.

Suggestions would be great.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
catsltd
Couple more pictures.
catsltd
QUOTE(catsltd @ Jun 26 2016, 07:59 PM) *

Couple more pictures.

Was driving the car,came to a light and car would not shift into gear without massive grind.felt like no clutch.
Also felt like car was having problems moving,felt like a lot of friction,so i assumed my clutch disc went,but besides a bit of oil it looks good.
Bearing seems to turn okay,sorry dont know what to do.???
rhodyguy
There no spring or anything like that in there. That's all it does. Back and forth. Note the 2 black plastic pieces on the yoke. Plan new ones while you're in there. Get them when your buying the linkage bushings. You really need to fix the stripped set screw. You can't replace the firewall bushing with the front rod in place. There is no adj at the f/r connection point. It's fixed. You won't loose your current settings at that connection. Do all of your bushings, NOW. You do own a Haynes manual, yes?
catsltd
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 26 2016, 08:23 PM) *

There no spring or anything like that in there. That's all it does. Back and forth. Note the 2 black plastic pieces on the yoke. Plan new ones while you're in there. Get them when your buying the linkage bushings. You really need to fix the stripped set screw. You can't replace the firewall bushing with the front rod in place. There is no adj at the f/r connection point. It's fixed. You won't loose your current settings at that connection. Do all of your bushings, NOW. You do own a Haynes manual, yes?

I have haynes yes.

just trying to figure out what happened and what do I need to replace????.
The car shifts great,until I start it,then it wont shift into gear unless I force it.
I was driving it when it happened,car was not slipping or anything??/

It looks like the original owner replaced the clutch,pressure plate,so why wont it shift into gear when runinng.
I have no problem replacing all the parts while I have it torn open,but why wont it shift gears when running anymore???.
\Do I need to do something else??/
matthepcat
Will it not shift into first gear while running or all gears?
iankarr
What you're describing sounds like it could be the clutch tube pulling away from the tunnel wall. Is the area around the firewall where the clutch tube exits intact? Did you hear a noise or feel something pull free when this happened?

Krieger
You were pushing on the clutch pedal and it did not disengauge the engine. Kinda sounds like your clutch cable guide tube may have broken free from the tunnel or firewall. Clutch cable or the pulley on the side of the tranny. Look at where the clutch cable comes out of the firewall and then look inside the center tunnel where the cable comes out of the tube and goes to the pedal cluster. Both end should be welded/brazed to the firewall/ tunnel.
catsltd
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Jun 26 2016, 08:41 PM) *

What you're describing sounds like it could be the clutch tube pulling away from the tunnel wall. Is the area around the firewall where the clutch tube exits intact? Did you hear a noise or feel something pull free when this happened?

I did not feel or hear anything.
I guess Ill try and look into the firewall.and see what i can see.

Should I just put it back together??,then replace cable,bushings,etc.

Should I replace my clutch etc while I have it apart??.

Ill do what I have to to make sure it works,but dont really know what to do at this point.

It looks like there is oil on the pressure plate and flywell is this normal,or is there a seal I should fix???,.

Sorry for all the questions been searching on google and 914 but not getting much help,except from pelican artickle.on replacing clutch.

I doubt I will be able to remove the front cone nut,if I do have to please let me know,as this is going to be a real bitch
,4 of the cv bolts were stripped,along with lots of exhaust stud bolts coming out,seaized exhaust nuts,etsc,etc.
For sure never want to pull this apart again.
914itis
The oil is coming from your seal . The seal is behind the throw out bearing.
You will see two 10 mn bolt there , remove them , pull the metal cap and you will see the seal there . They are available at pelican parts. Easy fix .
cary
1. Show us a picture of the shift rod bearing/bushing at the firewall.
2. Pull out the clutch cable to see if it is coming apart.

But most times it's the clutch cable tube that has pulled away from the tunnel. You push on the clutch and all your doing is flexing the tube. Not moving the pressure plate. Therefore no shifting into gear.
catsltd
QUOTE(cary @ Jun 26 2016, 10:09 PM) *

But most times it's the clutch cable tube that has pulled away from the tunnel. You push on the clutch and all your doing is flexing the tube. Not moving the pressure plate. Therefore no shifting into gear.

Ill take some pictures tomorrow Thanks.
Im done for 1 day.
It sounds like the cable and where its coming out from the firewall.
I already have a new clutch cable,and seal,so Ill take a look tomorrow and see whats up.
The heat exchnagers were about 1/2 inch away from sealing onto the heads,so I am getting things fixed as I go.
But it seems you fix 1 thing,and 2 more things show up.
I honestly had almost given up on pulling the tranny,was a lot of work.
Thanks to you guys I still feel I can fix it.
Cheers and good Night.
TheCabinetmaker
Great attitude.
cary
IMO is easier to pull/drop the engine and transmission together. But people do it both ways.
cary
I concur with Curt. You stayed after and got it done. Congratulations.
dangrouche
QUOTE(catsltd @ Jun 26 2016, 07:43 PM) *

QUOTE(cary @ Jun 26 2016, 10:09 PM) *

Ill take some pictures tomorrow Thanks.
Im done for 1 day.
It sounds like the cable and where its coming out from the firewall.
I already have a new clutch cable,and seal,so Ill take a look tomorrow and see whats up.
The heat exchnagers were about 1/2 inch away from sealing onto the heads,so I am getting things fixed as I go.
But it seems you fix 1 thing,and 2 more things show up.
I honestly had almost given up on pulling the tranny,was a lot of work.
Thanks to you guys I still feel I can fix it.
Cheers and good Night.

keep the faith; its a 40-year old car, you must persevere and you will be repaid each time you drive it on a curvy road
r_towle
That one odd flywheel bolt bothers me.
1) it needs to be replaced with the correct bolt.
2) it would make me question everything else.
TheCabinetmaker
Good catch rich. I did notice an odd bolt head but didn't look that close. I agree. Needs to be replaced with proper bolt.I probably have one I could donate.
catsltd
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jun 27 2016, 08:15 AM) *

Good catch rich. I did notice an odd bolt head but didn't look that close. I agree. Needs to be replaced with proper bolt.I probably have one I could donate.

Thanks for the offer.

I am going to order parts from pelican once I figure out what I need,so Ill order a new bolt if they have them.

I am hoping to use the clutch etc thats in the car right now,just clean it up a bit,but replace everything else.

Hopefully after work Ill have a chance to look into the clutch cable,tunnel thing,and see whats up.
Grant
iankarr
Any updates?
jsaum
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Jun 26 2016, 05:41 PM) *

I agree I had this same problem when I first got my car. Do some research on the clutch tube and how to repair it. Post a picture of the tube at the fire wall. It should be solid and not able to move. If one of the welds comes loose it will allow the tube to flex when you depress the clutch pedal.
Texasteener
I had this happen in my 74. Pull off the fork for the throw out bearing and inspect the price that holds the fork to its post for cracks. Mine had one side of it break off completely, causing the same problem you're talking about.
catsltd
QUOTE(Texasteener @ Jul 2 2016, 03:05 PM) *

I had this happen in my 74. Pull off the fork for the throw out bearing and inspect the price that holds the fork to its post for cracks. Mine had one side of it break off completely, causing the same problem you're talking about.

I am waiting on new rear main seal and new Flywheel bolts,clutch cable,new throw out bearing etc.

Will look at rest of tranny tube etc on weekend and post update and pictures.
Had to wait for funds to order new parts,slowing proceeding.

Still in the dark as to what the problem is,but am prettv sure you guys are correct in your assessment of clutch tube broken off.

Updates on Sunday.
Really appreciate the help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.