Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question: Firewall repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
slotty008
The car just came back from the bodyshop to replace the floor underneath the inner firewall and the front trunk floor. The stuff from Restoration Design is great.
But behind the passenger seat there's still a gap between the inner firewall and the floor. Is it necessary to weld this for the stiffness of the car or can I just use some epoxy to close the gap?
Click to view attachment
barefoot
QUOTE(slotty008 @ Jul 2 2016, 08:53 AM) *

The car just came back from the bodyshop to replace the floor underneath the inner firewall and the front trunk floor. The stuff from Restoration Design is great.
But behind the passenger seat there's still a gap between the inner firewall and the floor. Is it necessary to weld this for the stiffness of the car or can I just use some epoxy to close the gap?

By all means, weld repair and even add a panel to double this area as it's part of the stiffness stricture.
slotty008
QUOTE(barefoot @ Jul 2 2016, 02:58 PM) *

QUOTE(slotty008 @ Jul 2 2016, 08:53 AM) *

By all means, weld repair and even add a panel to double this area as it's part of the stiffness stricture.

Not good news, but headbang.gif I already thought so.
cary
Did you remove the seam sealer?
slotty008
QUOTE(cary @ Jul 2 2016, 04:19 PM) *

Did you remove the seam sealer?

Partially. Why do you ask? I think the floor is OK, it's the firewall that rusted away.
iankarr
Rust likes to hide under the seam sealer.
SirAndy
QUOTE(slotty008 @ Jul 2 2016, 05:53 AM) *

What kind of shop would replace the floor but not fix that part?
confused24.gif

Either way, that *is* structural and needs to be fixed. And no, epoxy or bondo is not a fix.
shades.gif
slotty008
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 2 2016, 04:48 PM) *

What kind of shop would replace the floor but not fix that part?
confused24.gif

Either way, that *is* structural and needs to be fixed. And no, epoxy or bondo is not a fix.
shades.gif

I simply don't understand why they didn't fix that.There's gonna be a very furious phone call monday morning.
Mark Henry
With that kind of damage I would not only repair it proper, but I'd also add an inner long stiffener kit.
cary

The car just came back from the bodyshop to replace the floor underneath the inner firewall and the front trunk floor.

The picture your showing us is the inner firewall ............ but looks like old floor. Show us where your at now. Maybe more pictures showing both sides.
Mueller
I'd fix it properly...fumes and possibly flames getting into the cabin from that location would have me a little nervous.
Rand
If you can see air between the ragged edges of rusty decay, after you got it back from a "body shop"...
Makes me sad what some "shops" put out.
slotty008
I'm in the middle of a bbq party( time difference), so I will get back to you guys later this day.
slotty008
QUOTE(cary @ Jul 2 2016, 05:14 PM) *

The car just came back from the bodyshop to replace the floor underneath the inner firewall and the front trunk floor.

The picture your showing us is the inner firewall ............ but looks like old floor. Show us where your at now. Maybe more pictures showing both sides.
BBQ party is over. I had to cook for 8 people. (marinated lamb chops and tomatoes stuffed with pancetta , parmigiano and mushrooms !)
It's the floor just behind the inner firewall they replaced.The other side is OK. The floor behind the seats is OK.
slotty008
QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 2 2016, 08:21 PM) *

If you can see air between the ragged edges of rusty decay, after you got it back from a "body shop"...
I can see no air. The garage that did the job is one of the biggest in Antwerp. They have Porsche speedsters ,RS , Ferraris , Mercedes and so on. So I really don't understand.
Rand
QUOTE(slotty008 @ Jul 2 2016, 03:18 PM) *

I can see no air. The garage that did the job is one of the biggest in Antwerp. They have Porsche speedsters ,RS , Ferraris , Mercedes and so on. So I really don't understand.

This is the air I see. And that's one horrible ass faultline. barf.gif

Click to view attachment
cary
The portion behind the inner firewall is the portion enclosed between the two firewalls.
The portion in the red circle. Did they take pictures?

Click to view attachment

The pictures your showing us is in the yellow circle. If they can assure you the flange in the yellow circle isn't consumed by the rust worm. Then it's a different story.

Did they do any kind of rust treatment/neutralization ?
barefoot
QUOTE(cary @ Jul 2 2016, 07:33 PM) *

The portion behind the inner firewall is the portion enclosed between the two firewalls.

Click to view attachment

The pictures your showing us is in the yellow circle. If they can assure you the flange in the yellow circle isn't consumed by the rust worm. Then it's a different story.

Is there a larger cross section view of this area on hand, I'd like to understand this area more completely
Thanks
slotty008
QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 3 2016, 12:28 AM) *

QUOTE(slotty008 @ Jul 2 2016, 03:18 PM) *

This is the air I see. And that's one horrible ass faultline. barf.gif

Click to view attachment

What you see is the floor pan painted grey. There's no light coming through, not from the engine compartment and not from underneath the car.
slotty008
QUOTE(cary @ Jul 3 2016, 01:33 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Did they do any kind of rust treatment/neutralization ?

I tried to get in with a screwdriver. I can only get in 1inch approximately.Then it feels really sound.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
ejm
Poorly done repair with a patch lap welded over the existing rusty metal, a cosmetic fix at best. What does this look like underneath?
mb911
Just poorly fixed. Should have at least bent up a new flanged edge and welded that in.. Time consuming but the correct fix.. I would also add the inner long kit.. I am in the very same step right now on my project.
914fahrer
Here is a picture from this area without the rear floors.

Click to view attachment

cary
Sorry to say Robin, but the bottom edge of the inner firewall has been consumed by the rust worm.

Here's a shot of Mark's inner firewall with the same affliction. I thought I had more pictures from my restoration but that seems to be the one day I didn't shoot 20 pictures.

Click to view attachment

Here's a picture from Jeff Hail with the new inner firewall in place before welding.

Click to view attachment

You can see the flange portion that is entirely missing on both yours and Mark's car.

cary
QUOTE(914fahrer @ Jul 3 2016, 08:58 AM) *

Click to view attachment

That's the shot I was looking for ............... Perfect.

Cary drawing correction. I had the inner firewall flange backwards.

Click to view attachment
Rand
What you see is the floor pan painted grey. There's no light coming through, not from the engine compartment and not from underneath the car.

I didn't say light, I said air... The space where metal is supposed to be.
slotty008
QUOTE(cary @ Jul 3 2016, 06:07 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

So the conclusion is : 1 -I will need a new lower right inner firewall from Restoration Design.
or 2 - I have to make a bracket that fits the lower firewall and the floor
or 3 - I can reinforce the whole thing by putting in a transversal long.

The second conclusion is : I will definitely have to take a welding course.
As Gary Oldman used to say in The Fifth Element : I you want something done , do it yourself!
The question is : can I drive it in the mean time , because the car has been sitting in my garage for 6 months now and I only drove it to the DVA and back.
slotty008
QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 3 2016, 08:15 PM) *

I didn't say light, I said air... The space where metal is supposed to be.

Sorry! (But there's no connection to the engine compartment)
mepstein
Hopefully you can find a different body shop or find a way to communicate better with the one who did the "work". They should have at least gone over what they were going to do and not do and discussed what the results would be before the job was done.
slotty008
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 3 2016, 08:58 PM) *

Hopefully you can find a different body shop or find a way to communicate better with the one who did the "work". They should have at least gone over what they were going to do and not do and discussed what the results would be before the job was done.

I can assure you there will be a lot of communication tomorrow morning!
Rand
QUOTE(slotty008 @ Jul 3 2016, 11:19 AM) *

(But there's no connection to the engine compartment)

That's where I'd beg to differ. You can see halfway to your engine compartment through the holes left behind from the rot that needs to be fixed. The double-wall box is strong when it's solid. Remove half of it and it's exponentially weaker.
dlee6204
QUOTE(ejm @ Jul 3 2016, 09:04 AM) *

Poorly done repair with a patch lap welded over the existing rusty metal, a cosmetic fix at best. What does this look like underneath?

Exactly. Looks like they didn't bother cutting out any of the rust, just welded new floor over the bad. A very poor repair. The whole thing needs to be redone.

dlee6204
QUOTE(slotty008 @ Jul 3 2016, 02:17 PM) *

QUOTE(cary @ Jul 3 2016, 06:07 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

So the conclusion is : 1 -I will need a new lower right inner firewall from Restoration Design.
or 2 - I have to make a bracket that fits the lower firewall and the floor
or 3 - I can reinforce the whole thing by putting in a transversal long.

The second conclusion is : I will definitely have to take a welding course.
As Gary Oldman used to say in The Fifth Element : I you want something done , do it yourself!
The question is : can I drive it in the mean time , because the car has been sitting in my garage for 6 months now and I only drove it to the DVA and back.

You should be fine driving it but plan on doing a proper repair otherwise your rust will get worse.
SirAndy
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Jul 4 2016, 08:32 AM) *
QUOTE(ejm @ Jul 3 2016, 09:04 AM) *
Exactly. Looks like they didn't bother cutting out any of the rust, just welded new floor over the bad. A very poor repair. The whole thing needs to be redone.

agree.gif

They didn't even cut out the rust, just welded a patch panel over the rusted floor areas.

That needs to come out and be done right.
sad.gif
porschetub
Did they give a fixed price to fit the panel ?......this is part of the job that has been left out cause maybe the other work went past the time quoted (mostly happens),they really should have contacted you and said heh we have a little extra to do,the balls in your court and you have the final say then ,in my country ALL extra work has to be arranged between client and company otherwise the client can legally not make payment for said "extra's".
IMO best not to ring them and "serve" them it just makes the situation worse and both parties get ticked off,good luck keep as updated beer.gif
mbseto

QUOTE(porschetub @ Jul 5 2016, 04:16 AM) *

IMO best not to ring them and "serve" them it just makes the situation worse and both parties get ticked off,good luck keep as updated beer.gif

Yep- be the bigger man here- they will either do the right thing or you will know not to go back.
slotty008
I already rang them. I spoke to the owner ( who is a client of mine) He didn't control the car after it was finished so I can bring the car back but the man who did the repair is already on holiday and since I'm still waiting for my license plates , I can not bring the car, so I have to wait. The garage is closing for the summer holidays tomorrow anyway so we will continue the story by the end of the month. I'm pretty sure they will solve the problem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.