Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crazy Dancing Headlights - Now won't Come Up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rathguten
Hi folks!

I turned on my headlights and they both popped up. When I turned them off, the right one went all the way down but the left side stayed halfway up. I turned the lights on again and the right side popped up correctly, but the left side cycled back down before popping back up and resting in the correct position. I played with the headlight switch, pushing it in and out while the lights "danced", one up, the other down, so on a so forth and then both closed. Now when I turn the headlight switch on the bulbs turn on, but the lights don't pop up at all.

I tried searching the forum for an answer, but I either don't know how to search or the search function isn't very good.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
toolguy
One switch works both headlight motors. . . If only one is malfunctioning it is that motor or linkage issue
GaroldShaffer
Swap out the relay under the plastic cover. You can use a relay from you relay board. I usually use the fuel pump relay. If you find the headlight now functions properly but the fule pump doesn't work then you know for sure you have a bad relay.
ClayPerrine
This should help...

How your headlight motors work.

Rathguten
Thanks! I'm going to try swapping the relay first. Hopefully that solves the issue and I won't have to resort to chasing electrical gremlins.
Mikey914
Hopefully just a relay, but if you need the bushings or arms I have new ones.
Darren C
Turn the lamps on, let them pop up and the left side do its thing. With them switched on, take off the battery. Dont turn off the switch.
Undo the nut on the LH motor connecting the arm without moving the motor.
Pry off the arm.
With the arm off, move the headlight to the fully up position.
Put the arm back on the motor and tighten the nut.
Re-connect the battery and try the switch.

From what you say in your first post its a link position issue and relay one.

You didn't say, but have you had them apart?

Good luck
Rathguten
Well it was just as Darren C said, a combination of a bad relay and incorrectly positioned linkage. However, the motor doesn't rotate as smoothly as the other side and seems to drag at a point during cycling. Nevertheless it works and I am happy.. Thanks again for all your help folks! Maybe someday I will be as familiar with the 914 as I am with pre-'67 Type 1 VWs and able to provide help to others.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.