Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Motor Mounts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
markmw
Although this is my first post to this forum , I have learned all I know about my 914 from here - many happy hours , when I should be working!!
After 4 months of work on my car (a 1972 model) , including a full respray , full engine rebuild from the crank up (not done by me!) and a sideshift conversion, I am at the stage of re-fitting the engine and gearbox.
My question concerns the 2 rubber engine mounts which attatch the engine case to the motor mount bar. I know I have the correct bar and brackets, and the rubber mounts (hockey pucks) are in good condition, but the mounting faces of these rubber mounts are not paralell to each other - i.e. when the bar is bolted up to the engine , the bar would not be perpendicular to the engine - it would be tilted either backwards or forwards depending which way round I bolt them on. Is this normal - if so should the bar tilt forwards or backwards? , or have these mounts (not new) ,somehow got worn -and should I just buy 2 new ones?
Hope someone understands what I mean - and any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
ejm
wavey.gif Welcome to the club!!

Sounds like the mounts are shot..change them now while its apart
AndyC
beerchug.gif Welcome to the club! agree.gif Time for new mounts whilst you have the engine out - although it is far to cold to be working on your car at the minute, roll on summer (or a heated garage)
SLITS
If the bar tilts forward or backward, it is more likely that the outer solid mounts or bolts are bent from the bar striking something in the roadway (parking lots or whatever). If your car is low enough, it will drag on the engine mount bar when going over speed bumps.

This assumes your description is correct and you have a sideshift transmission. The early cars had a solid mount at the engine and rubber mounts at the ends of the bar.

A hearty smilie_pokal.gif welcome
markmw
Thanks for the replies, and the welcome messages - friendly board!!
I've just come in from the garage now (heated , by the way , Andy!) and after a bit of playing about , I've agreed -you're all correct - I need new mounts.
Any UK'ers know who keeps them in stock, as I want to get the engine back in a.s.a.p.?
I'll try and post some pics when I figure out how to do it.
(and some smilies!)
AndyC
Try James Clavert at Stateside Tuning I will PM you his number, if not Roger Bray restorations may well have some
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.