Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removal of tits on '73
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Next
Traveling and not doing a great job of search on my iPhone. Wondering if someone can tell me if I need to remove the bumper in order to remove tits on my '73? Are these an easy thing to remove? Thanks.

Steve
Wyvern
Yes ... you need to remove the bumper .
BUT that is super easy. Just 4 bolts 2 on each side (in the wheel well)

Then you will see the bolts for the tits .. (ha ha ha . "tit bolts" LOL)
Chris914n6
I think you can get to them after removing the grills.
PanelBilly
Then you weld up the holes and have it painted or chromed. Makes for a really clean look. I had the licence plate holes filled too
gcrotvik
I don't believe you can get to both bolts by just removing the grills. The bolts are on each side of the inner steel and rubber bumper block. You will need to remove the bumper completely.

I think Steve is replacing old tits with new tits.

Greg
mepstein
I bet you can remove the grill and reach in and remove the two nuts. I doubt yours are even rusty.
gcrotvik
QUOTE(gcrotvik @ Jul 13 2016, 06:04 AM) *

I don't believe you can get to both bolts by just removing the grills. The bolts are on each side of the inner steel and rubber bumper block. You will need to remove the bumper completely.

Greg

You will need to get under the strap and rubber buffer. See the picture. There is a steel sub plate that slides under the strap and buffer that bolts on to the back of the tit mounting screws (not shown in the picture).
Tom_T
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 13 2016, 06:35 AM) *

I bet you can remove the grill and reach in and remove the two nuts. I doubt yours are even rusty.

Mark -

Steve has fog lights in the way of the tit bolts, plus the backer shown by Greg is in the way.

So the bumper has to come off. That way he can clean the backside bootyshake.gif of the bumper for his next concours event too!

Nothing like a fresh set of tits! first.gif

Cheers Steve! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mepstein
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 13 2016, 02:02 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 13 2016, 06:35 AM) *

Mark -

Steve has fog lights in the way of the tit bolts, plus the backer shown by Greg is in the way.

So the bumper has to come off. That way he can clean the backside bootyshake.gif of the bumper for his next concours event too!

Nothing like a fresh set of tits! first.gif

Cheers Steve! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Fog lights don't take up the whole space. There is still space behind the tit bolts and the backer. You can't just assume it won't work.
PanelBilly
QUOTE(gcrotvik @ Jul 13 2016, 06:04 AM) *

Greg

So do we get to see a photo of the pinger tits?
914Next
Thanks Guys. I think I'll take the bumpers off since, as Tom says, it will give me a chance to clean more. Also will likely replace one tit since there is a slight cut on it and I was able to find two nos ones.

Will take pics and let you know how it goes.

Steve
914Next
Well that was easy. Decided to go out and tackle the bumper today. Biggest issues was finding my small ratchet that fit up near the bumper bolts. The front panel and bumper looks really good. Even the bolts and attaching hardware still have there yellow cad plating. Took some before and after (a quick cleaning)

Before

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914Next
And after a bit of cleanup

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlkawashima
Amazingly clean if that's the first time the bumper has been off the car. first.gif
914Next
not sure why some are loading poorly.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
pete000
Always sad that the Tits deform the bumper causing a lot of metal work to have them re chromed.
914Next
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Jul 15 2016, 07:05 PM) *

Amazingly clean if that's the first time the bumper has been off the car. first.gif

It is Dave. I was pleased with what I found! The original owner never removed it.
914Next
QUOTE(pete000 @ Jul 15 2016, 07:07 PM) *

Always sad that the Tits deform the bumper causing a lot of metal work to have them re chromed.

Yeah I was surprised to see that. Is that from a light tap at some point or does this happen even without hitting something. I'll leave it as is since its an original car.
Blue6
QUOTE(914Next @ Jul 15 2016, 04:10 PM) *

QUOTE(pete000 @ Jul 15 2016, 07:07 PM) *

Yeah I was surprised to see that. Is that from a light tap at some point or does this happen even without hitting something. I'll leave it as is since its an original car.

I agree, it's better to leave it original. If you put larger tits on you can expect problems with leakage, and possibly have to re stuff them every 5 yrs. biggrin.gif
914Next
.....and finished this am. Thanks guys for the help!

Click to view attachment

914Next
Now onto the rear bumper. Is that one an easy removal too?

Steve
JeffBowlsby
You need to go look for yourself.
Perry Kiehl Clone
I saw a cool quick fix for screw holes in the bumpers at the '96 Renegade Festival in California; the large head chrome screws from the glovebox work great. I'll bet Bruce Stone has a box full of them.
914Next
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 16 2016, 10:13 AM) *

You need to go look for yourself.

Thanks Jeff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.