Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: shift lever springs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michaelmoo
What is the best way to compress the springs (reverse lockout springs) to install them in the shift lever housing?
JWest
No tools required:

1. Insert a pin part way (like 1/2" or so).
2. Put a spring over the pin where it is entering the housing.
3. Bend the spring so you can insert the other end into the housing (you now have a "U" of spring sticking out.
4. Compress the spring into the housing while sliding the pin the rest of the way through.

5. Throw out the original shifter and get a RennShift. biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
compressing the springs can be tough. as james said start one side with the pin partially in. i use 2 small putty knives in the spring windings to work them in and move the pin as i go. do this in an uncluttered area. when a spring flys out they can travel quite a distance.

k
Rough_Rider
yep & yep agree.gif

This is a tricky, fiddly job, but well worth doing.

While your in there, famous last words, disassemble the whole thing & re-lube with a nice stiction free grease. I was super pleased with the results. nice smooth shift feel. you can really slam home 4th to 3rd with little fear of catching 1st.

I think the only downside was losing the self centering action. Well & the 3 tries it took to get it all back together correctly. Take pics / notes as you dis-assemble.
73p914
i want to order the weltmeister lockout kit but will it work in conjuction with the the weltmeister short shifter?!?
michaelmoo
That’s why I’m in there. To regrease everything and replace the springs. That and to remove the Weltmiester short shift and replace with the factory lever. Any one want a short shift??
rhodyguy
my experience with the extra springs. they add an incredible ammount of tension laterally. the action wore/cut into the short shift lever i was using sad.gif . money would be better spent replacing the 2 bushings that cradle the ball on the shift lever. yes, there should be 2 down there. wink.gif just doing those tightens the lever action up. my wife told me what the. [B], [I], and[U] were for!!

k
jr91472
QUOTE (James Adams @ Apr 11 2005, 04:16 AM)
No tools required:

1. Insert a pin part way (like 1/2" or so).
2. Put a spring over the pin where it is entering the housing.
3. Bend the spring so you can insert the other end into the housing (you now have a "U" of spring sticking out.
4. Compress the spring into the housing while sliding the pin the rest of the way through.

5. Throw out the original shifter and get a RennShift. biggrin.gif

I agree with James, but would add that if you use a small phillips head screw driver and insert it through the housing from the opposite side (from where you have the pin inserted halfway in) you can make the screw driver act as a guide for the spring.

So after his step 3 of bending the spring into a U, push the screw driver through the opposite housing hole and into the spring to hold it in place.

Then instead of "compressing" the spring in his step 4, simple push the screw driver further in until it meets the pin. This automatically straights and compresses the spring. Then slow push the pin farther in while pulling the screw driver slowly out.

piece of cake biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
michael,

i may be interested in your short shift.....
BTW - where did you guys obtain these springs?
rhodyguy
i plan on winning a jwest shifter at the raffle this year. got the fuse block last year. even if i don't win a jwest shifter, my weit short sideshifter model will be for sale while i'm in camarillo. free shipping smile.gif !!

k
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Apr 11 2005, 08:44 AM)
michael,

i may be interested in your short shift.....
BTW - where did you guys obtain these springs?

There's a pair of those springs in every shifter assembly. Unless you lose one, they should never need replacement. The detent plate, on the other hand, IS a wear item, and should be inspected and repaired/replaced when worn. The Cap'n
JWest
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Apr 11 2005, 11:54 AM)
i plan on winning a jwest shifter at the raffle this year. got the fuse block last year.

k

Good luck Kevin. I'm finishing it right now to get it sent out to Howard - it will be plenty fresh!
rhodyguy
the bonus is you will be there to adjust it for me. after you show me the tricks for the install?

k
scotty914
what crazy is i here everybody wanting more spring pressure, i removed one of the springs. i dont like to have to force it over, and i have never hit reverse with the one spring.
ppickerell
I have been a springmaker for 30 years.I would add to the advice listed above the obvious: wear your safety glasses!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.