Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best way to lift 914 on hoist?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aggiezig
I'm planning on renting an engine hoist today to lift my 914 up onto the body stand I built this weekend.

I saw some posts referencing mounting onto the seat tilt adjust brackets? Are these the two vertical brackets that hold part of the "tooth gear setup" for that connects to the tilt adjuster handle / allows the seat base to move up and down? If so, assuming I will have to remove seat base frames and the gear teeth to access the holes in these brackets.

I also thought about just using a tow strap wrapped around the middle of the car?

Anybody have ideas / thoughts / pictures?
green914
Show us a picture of the stand, and car. Is the car complete - have you removed power plant - how much weight are you planning to lift up?
aggiezig
QUOTE(green914 @ Jul 26 2016, 10:07 AM) *

Show us a picture of the stand, and car. Is the car complete - have you removed power plant - how much weight are you planning to lift up?

The body stand:
IPB Image

The car:
IPB Image

Engine / trans have been removed since this pic was taken. Trunk hood / decklid are off, interior is out, will take up and remove wheels, etc.

Will be getting a 1.5 or 2 ton engine hoist so should not be an issue.
Garland
Four guys could lift that shell right up on the stand. Not sure how strong your uprights are on the stand to be able to move the car.
majkos
agree.gif
Those uprights need a lil more bracing,

Can see the domino effect when they twist,
just my two cent worth, smile.gif
aggiezig
I stole the design / plans from this thread, and he did not appear to have any issues. The stand is actually pretty stout / I don't anticipate any issues. The uprights are only 12" and the triangle braces add quite a bit of lateral support.

Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of four buddies to help me out so I will be stuck with using an engine hoist and one other friend to help balance while I roll the cart into place.

Any tips for lift points for the hoist?
TheCabinetmaker
I would have made the gussets bigger. You need about 3 times the mechanical fasteners on them. If the corners are supposed to support at the donuts I would connect a stringer at the tops. What I don't know. Will the body flex as you roll it around?
Kansas 914
I just used two floor jacks and some jackstands. I got it high enough to roll under the car. Pretty easy - did it myself (a few times). That all depends on the height of your posts though. The wood is a bit scary - I was lucky to have a friend with a welder. I have added gussets since these were taken back in 2011.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
r_towle
I used an old bumper, welded a hook on it for the hoist.

Second time I did it, I removed the suspension first, then just got a few guys and lifted it by hand.....with no suspension it's maybe 400lbs....
aggiezig
Thanks for all the tips everyone.

I think I'm going to try to use a couple of tow straps, one wrapped under close to the front set of donuts and one wrapped under close to the back set. Meet in the middle and link to the hoist. I'll jack it up as far as I can off the ground first.

Will see how the stand does. I will add cross-straps / ties with 2x4's if it seems unstable.
3d914
Here's the car dolly I use for mine - almost 28 inches high. Just used blocks, jack stands and my ATV lift. It took two-three lifts on each end to get high enough to slide the dolly under the car.

I modified two of the jack stands to straddle the arms on the ATV lift giving me extended lift height.

IPB Image
Kansas 914
QUOTE(3d914 @ Jul 26 2016, 01:15 PM) *

IPB Image

I also used a 2X4 inside the trailing arm opening (where the axles would go) from arm to arm to lift the back of the car with the floor jack. Your picture shows it perfectly.

4X4 would be better if it fits in there...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.