Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Voltage Regulator Working?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oakdalecurtis
I installed a new alternator and a new Beru voltage regulator, started up my 76 2.0 and the charging system was sending 18 volts to the battery! Not good. I replaced the new Beru VR with an old Bosch VR, started up the car and now the battery is showing 12.4 volts at the posts, and the voltage doesn't vary a bit with engine speed. I think the 12.4 volts I'm reading at the battery is just the battery's own charge that I'm reading. How can I tell if this old Bosch VR, or any other future replacement VR, is actually charging the battery or not?
87m491
I think you answered your own question. New VR was over charging and old VR @ 12.4V isn't really charging. Should be between 13.5-14.

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jul 27 2016, 09:42 AM) *

I installed a new alternator and a new Beru voltage regulator, started up my 76 2.0 and the charging system was sending 18 volts to the battery! Not good. I replaced the new Beru VR with an old Bosch VR, started up the car and now the battery is showing 12.4 volts at the posts, and the voltage doesn't vary a bit with engine speed. I think the 12.4 volts I'm reading at the battery is just the battery's own charge that I'm reading. How can I tell if this old Bosch VR, or any other future replacement VR, is actually charging the battery or not?

oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(87m491 @ Jul 27 2016, 10:58 AM) *

I think you answered your own question. New VR was over charging and old VR @ 12.4V isn't really charging. Should be between 13.5-14.

Thanks, just wasn't sure.
porschetub
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jul 28 2016, 06:06 AM) *

Did you buy this one from Pelican ? I have one also before I started hearing about issues with them sad.gif sad.gif
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jul 27 2016, 05:30 PM) *

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jul 28 2016, 06:06 AM) *

Did you buy this one from Pelican ? I have one also before I started hearing about issues with them sad.gif sad.gif

No, my mechanic got it from a local source. I gave it back to him, no good to me.
ThePaintedMan
The one I got from AutoZone (had to order) worked fine. I think it was made by Wells. Only like ten bucks.
oakdalecurtis
Found the problem, as some here suggested, it was the relay board. Take a look a this picture of the back, allowing female contacts to be pushed down when VR was installed. Repaired it and now it's charging 13.2 volts! Thanks to all here for great advice!
curtis
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.